[PayPal - receiving payment] Should i be wary of this?!

Kilroyquasar

4 seconds, inhale; 4 seconds, exhale.
Skilled
Hello everyone!

i have listed a camera for sale on quikr. y'day, i received a reply to my listing, in which the interested party writes that he is interested in the camera, and wants me to ship it to USA to his daughter, and its urgent (meant as a gift for her). he asked me to provide my paypal email address to him, to proceed with the payment, and wrote that he is ready to pay an 'X' amount (which is almost double the asking-price including shipping cost, but anyway). he insists on using DHL as the shipper.

now i have once received payment to my paypal account, but that was by an amazon seller from Japan, an year or so back. reading this recent reply, i did a quick search on safety-tips for receiving payment in one's paypal account, and found that there have been several scams, mostly on ebay, where sellers have been duped for expensive items, where the buyer insisted on paying through paypal and either sending someone on his behalf, or himself, to collect the item, and then either put the payment on hold, or retrieve it back. now my case sounds a bit different, where in, the buyer is a co-national, and wants me to send the item through traceable courier of repute only. still, i want to be on a safer side, and hence seek suggestions from members here on how to go about this deal to avoid/prevent any potential risk from manifesting.

as a safety-measure, i have replied to him with my bank-acct. details and requested him to prefer to pay into my bank-acct. directly. should receive his reply later. please suggest what could be done to stay safe.

thanks!
EDIT: after taking his own sweet time, he provided me with this delivery address:

http://wp.superpages.com/people/Edit...n/Cambridge-MA

(found this page after googling the name of the person. the address given in the above link is exactly the same address provided to me).

funny thing is, he uses his name as 'nikhil' on gtalk and his email ID, but daughter's name is edith watson?! o_O

UPDATE: I traced the person's location to LA. so that's why he isn't/is unable to provide me his cell. no. perhaps and/or pay to my acct. directly?!

When you will provide him with your paypal email address, he will send you an email which will look exactly like the one you would receive when someone sends you payment via PayPal.
However this email will be a forgery and in actuality no money would have been transferred to your PayPal account.

This is one of the oldest tricks in the book to scam people on Craigslist.

thanks to both of you! i should decline his request now. pls suggest what should i say/give the reason for declining, so as not to sound rude but get the work done as well. :)

for now, since he's not responding to my poking him about his location and all, i will just terminate correspondence with him, and ONLY respond (in the negative, that is) if he writes back sounding desperate to conclude the deal. -_-

Hi seller,
I want to buy your item as a birthday gift for my son who is schooling and learning art culture and different
thing of country in Nigeria and other country too but now he now in Nigeria learning their culture ,calculate the Amount of sending to
Nigeria By DHL express and urgent,i will pay the cost of sending the item.

Name: hasin kumar
Address:No 7 Osagahae lane off new Lagos road Benin city/ Nigeria
Zip/postal code:23452

Let me know how can i pay your money,bank transfer. then send me your
complete bank details.
Please get Back to me as soon as possible
regards
Singh kumar

This is what i received On a Ad Posted on quickr
Full of Scams quickr and Olx

:sour:
thanks for sharing that!
i had received a similar request (ie, purpose was similar), and the sender didn't specify his addr./location, nor has done so even after repeated requests to furnish that info (provided the delivery address only after i repeatedly asked him to do so, and to NOT transfer the amount now to my paypal account, which he was/is very eager to do, ignoring all my other messages), and is insisting on paypal, ignoring my request to use NEFT.

he has since not responded back. very well! he can indulge himself as much as wants in his own personal scamworld fantasies, all alone! :meh:

P.S. - LOL at that name - 'hasin kumar'. :hilarious: :hilarious:

gtalk id is 'Venus Nikhil'. seems you too have had a similar experience.

UPDATE: This gentleman in subject is now feeling reluctant to reply. arrow shot in the right direction. kudos to my fellow members!

Also most of these scammers come from posts on Quikr haven't received any for ads on OLX.....

even i feel so, though don't have much experience of OLX, but even reading accounts of a few people, i don't remember coming across the name of OLX. a few days back, one friend of mine too had a run-in with a scammer on quikr.

They can even use hacked PP which are sold $50 a pop on Blackhat sites. Once the original owner realizes he will charge back/block the payment. So even a traceable courier wont help.

Edit: Found this.
http://www.beenverified.com/p/edith+watson

Edith Watson is 49, so her dad should at least be over 70.

Most probably he is going to use this woman's card/PP to scam you. Makes it easier if you know the name already than explaining later why the payment is from another unknown account.

alright. suspected that. but surprising! you get hacked PP accounts for a sum!
but ultimately, not that surprising too. can happen; bound to happen, in the net-world. :|

thank you for the fast reply.
i am willing to proceed with the transaction now.kindly login to your paypal account and select the request money button located at the top of your paypal account homepage and send the money request directly to my paypal account id which is biancacollins@live.com so that i can submit payment to you via paypal right now as paypal is safe, fast and easy to send and receive money online.

If you don't have a paypal account just logon to www.paypal.com and set up your paypal account, after setting up your paypal account you locate the request money button located at the top of your paypal account home page, use it to request money directly from my paypal account which is biancacollins@live.com once I receive your money request from paypal, I will submit payment to you immediately via paypal asap.

Get back asap

the biggest red flag would be someone ready to buy a camera here & ship it to US where electronics are much cheaper than here. here we guys are running around to import stuff from USA, who would be willing to pay for shipping to US ? :p

always wondered who are those people who fall prey to all those nigerian scam emails & uk lottery sms's ... ? anyone here know anyone who has been scammed like that?

Back