Budget 0-20k PC build with used parts for Chrome surfing and Youtube

Celeron

Recruit
I want to build a PC with Core 2 Duo/Quad 3+ ghz/2.5+ghz ,a motherboard of compatible socket which supports atleast 8GB of ram, though I will use only 4GB ram now.No dedicated graphics card
Cheapest branded PSU to power it.A SSD of sub 100 GB Amd a compatible cabinet.

Said unboxed CPUs are available in Amazon at 1000+-, I can get one from there and also the motherboard and other items or can also take from reputed members here who are planning to upgrade.

Points to consider please.
1. Electricity consumption is not an issue as I will use it one hour max in a day.

2. Will be used for Chrome surfing , and Youtube and 9gag.

3.monitor I will decide based on the suggested motherboard video ports availability.

4.its a very tight budget build as I will bring my laptop from home when I go there.

I am currently in kochi ,would prefer to pick up items by hand if I find a good deal from any member here.

Previous Laptops

1.COMPAQ C791TU Celeron 2.13 Ghz ,DOS, got it in 2007 my first laptop was running on Ubuntu 8.04 sold

2.Toshiba C660 Pentium dual core,DOS , got in 2011, upgraded the HDD to 1TB and RAM to 8gb myself.sold

3. Dell Inspiron 3551, DOS, got in 2015, used same 8gb RAM and HDD of last laptop. Current laptop

I am satisfied with performance of all my three laptops though they don't have top of the line hardware , they are entry level notebooks and I have run NFS most wanted ,CS 1.6 on all of them ,not high fps but playable enjoyably.
Seems I am feeling emotional now ,lol.
Anyway this is my first Post here though I have been reading Techenclave for as long as I could remember ,please suggest me some barware in my criteria and thanks in advance.
Please let me know if I need to provide some more info.

I would also recommend a pi4 (atleast 8GB), if you are comfortable with Linux. For web browsing, YouTube etc its excellent.
you can also take a look at pi 400. It’s a full desktop kit. But it’s only 4gb ram.
pi setup would be much cheaper than building a PC using old parts(and probably more reliable).

Thanks Members for the suggestions, i concluded that with this budget a decent desktop is not possible.

So I will get a laptop.

Thanks once again.

Thanks Members for the suggestions, i concluded that with this budget a decent desktop is not possible.

So I will get a laptop.

Thanks once again.
if you think desktop is not possible, then how can a laptop be possible? even chromebooks cost upwards of 25K

I purchased Avita Essentials from Amazon for Rs. 17,190/-

Intel N4000 upto 2.6ghz
4GB LPDDR4 RAM
128GB SSD
14" Full HD display
Windows 10
-----
Switched out of S mode
Turned off features such as Explorer etc
Uninstalled unnecessary bloatware including trial version of OFFICE 365
Using portable ubuntu from a USB 3.0 pendrive for office work and windows 10 for movies/ games
Only tried NFS Underground till now which works at full resolution.
Looking for drivers for windows 7 as I like gui better, no luck till now.
Tabbed browsing in chrome works fine I have opened upto 20 tabs.
If you are on multiple tabs and when when you switch tabs the page will reload.
SSD is fast boots quick. Using MicroSD 128gb I already had as additional memory.
If anyone has any questions regarding this laptop I will be happy to answer.
Thanks and regards.

I purchased Avita Essentials from Amazon for Rs. 17,190/-

Intel N4000 upto 2.6ghz
4GB LPDDR4 RAM
128GB SSD
14" Full HD display
Windows 10
-----
Switched out of S mode
Turned off features such as Explorer etc
Uninstalled unnecessary bloatware including trial version of OFFICE 365
Using portable ubuntu from a USB 3.0 pendrive for office work and windows 10 for movies/ games
Only tried NFS Underground till now which works at full resolution.
Looking for drivers for windows 7 as I like gui better, no luck till now.
Tabbed browsing in chrome works fine I have opened upto 20 tabs.
If you are on multiple tabs and when when you switch tabs the page will reload.
SSD is fast boots quick. Using MicroSD 128gb I already had as additional memory.
If anyone has any questions regarding this laptop I will be happy to answer.
Thanks and regards.
If you are satisfied then great. I am pulling my hair out on N3540, 4GB RAM and 500GB mechanical hard disk on my work laptop.

The build of laptop seems fragile, unlike my previous Laptops. It's serving my purpose though.And it's been only a day since I got it so don't really know if problems will occur later. To be honest I have a bad feeling about this laptop.

Your main reason of frustration is the mechanical HDD. That pentium will do a very good job on an SSD for daily tasks such as document editing and web browsing.
Offtopic but I am in the same boat. One wonders when these corporates will use their common sense and provide SSD or even a SSHD. I open a few Excel sheets, a few browser windows, Zoom and Jabber and the CPU and HDD goes into overdrive.

Offtopic but I am in the same boat. One wonders when these corporates will use their common sense and provide SSD or even a SSHD. I open a few Excel sheets, a few browser windows, Zoom and Jabber and the CPU and HDD goes into overdrive.
Honestly, in the past year I've seen many budget laptops with 128-256GB SSD offerings. They've finally started to do it IMO. It's mainly the users who don't realize the importance of SSD unless they have used it before.
They think slow but more storage is more important than fast but less storage.

please do not go for core 2 duo they cannot even handle browsing properly
Saying this from experience.

Kindly check any 3rd/4th gen intel processor-based machine.

Check for HP/Dell/Acer pre-built machines on your local OLX listings. This is the way to go. You will get some bundles with a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

I've been recommending people to not buy HDD based laptops for close to two years now. I switched out my 6-year old laptop's HDD with a Kingston SSD in June 2019, and the difference it made was incredible. Then last year I bought a new laptop with an NVMe SSD, and I was blown away by its performance. I never knew the hard disk was such a bottleneck in a laptop.
Just last week, I switched out the HDD for a SATA SSD on my dad's 3.5 year old laptop, and it feels good as new, all the frustrating lags are gone.

People should go for an SSD, even if it's just 120 GB, and store stuff on an external HDD. The performance difference is worth the compromise. And if the SSD is NVMe, then the laptop will also have a slot add a SATA HDD to increase the storage.

Back