PC Buying Suggestions (~25k)

Hey guys.. Need to build a PC for someone and could do with some help and suggestions regarding components. Budget is 25-27k max. The rig is to be built from scratch and the price should include a 22" monitor. Can lower it to 20" but REALLY don't want to.

A wireless keyboard+mouse is also mandatory. Everything will be bought at Nehru Place (SMC probably). No other requirements , no overclocking will be done. It will be a family PC and upgrading is something which they won't think about for a long long time so need something capable of full HD movie playback and the usual family stuff. Kid might play a few browser based games at max.

The biggest requirement is that the cabinet should preferably be about 16" (H) x 16" (D). In any case depth can't be more than 18" due to space limitations but i'd like to leave a bit of room.

Thanks !

Intel i3 2100 ~6200/-

Intel DH61-WW~3500/- OR GIGABYTE GA-H61M-D2H-3300/-

Corsair Value Ram 4GB-1200/-

Segate 500GB HDD-4000/-

FSP SAGAii 400W-1800/-

Nzxt Gamma ~2100/-

Benq G2220HD-6900/-

Wireless MK260 Combo Logitech-1200/-

Hope this helps.
<

^^ I know about the template but there really is nothing i want to specify. Everything from scratch , new from SMC. Budget and the cabinet size restriction is all that is important. Anyways..
  • Q: What is your budget?
    • 25-27k

• Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
  • Starting from scratch
  • Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

• CPU
    • 22" Monitor
    • wireless kbd + mouse

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

• Yes
  • Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Delhi
  • Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  • Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
    • Watching HD movies
  • Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • No
  • Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • None
  • Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    • Desktop - 1920x1080
  • Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  • Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit

This is the best config you can get for your family-

AMD A6-3500 ~ 4134

Gigabyte GA-A55M-S2H ~ 4500

G-skill Ripjaws X F3-10666CL9S-4GBXL ~ 1400

WD Blue 500 GB ~4330

Asus 24x Sata black DVD ~ 1110

Corsair CX430 v2 ~ 2400

BenQ G2222HDL (21.5") ~ 7600 (But it has no HDMI port)

logitech mk220 ~ 1250

Total - 26.7k

Hope this helps!
<

I have not mentioned about cabinet, but better get any mico atx cabinet which looks good to you
<

i3 2100 would help in long time run as op is not going to game it'd be better if he goes for intel rig which i've suggested,if he wants he can add gpu.Hope this clears stuff.

i3 2100 would help in long time run as op is not going to game it'd be better if he goes for intel rig which i've suggested,if he wants he can add gpu.Hope this clears stuff.

I strongly disagree. Though processor wise A6-2500 is behind i3-2100, but its good enough to drive much more than basic HTPC needs alongwith decent enought gaming. Can you explain how i3-2100 will help in long run?

And if at all OP is interested in Intel config, G620 is the way to go.

i3 2100 is a much more powerful processor than G620,even after being a dual core [with two hyper-threaded cores],Also it fits in the budget, if there is no gaming mentioned by op thenwhat's the point by suggesting AMD A6 rig,please explain.
I strongly disagree. Though processor wise A6-2500 is behind i3-2100, but its good enough to drive much more than basic HTPC needs alongwith decent enought gaming. Can you explain how i3-2100 will help in long run?

And if at all OP is interested in Intel config, G620 is the way to go.

i3 2100 would help in long time run as op is not going to game it'd be better if he goes for intel rig which I've suggested,if he wants he can add gpu.Hope this clears stuff.

The better single-core(or otherwise) performance CPU is what will BENEFIT gaming and not the other way around. The AMD IGP is likely much better than the alternative as well. There is no ground for suggesting an Intel build here but for the minuscule power savings which do not justify the difference in platform costs for this sort of usage. In fact, The TS is better off going with an even cheaper CPU/mobo and look towards investing in a good, quiet m-atx cabinet, a better display etc.

For eg.,

GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P AM3+ ~2.5k (onboard HD3000 will take care of 1080p playback)

+

Athlon x2 2xx ~2-3k (more than enough processing power for an HTPC)

if there is no gaming mentioned by op thenwhat's the point by suggesting AMD A6 rig,please explain.

I guess you know that gaming is not the only purpose which requires a GPU. Moderns OSs (Aero), movies, and several other apps (which further includes content rich browsing + better hardware acceleration) do require decent graphics which lacks for sure in Intel (at least in i3). I hope I'm very clear.

Well A6 igp defeats i3 hands down,if i3 HD2000 isn't enogh then G620+H61+HD5670 512mb is the adjustment have to be made,otherwise A6 would be ok.No point in dragging,thought HD2000 would be enough,Cheers
<

The AMD FM1 socket is a dead end unlike Intel where you can pop in a Ivy bridge in the future.

The power consumption of AMD would be slightly higher. The CPU has more cores but is much lower clocked.

But the GPU of the AMD is much better than Intel. For a general purpose home rig the AMD A6 3500 is a very good option.

#[member='DarkAngel'] Ivy bridge upgrade for home purpose ? I don't think.

Power consumption is a bit on higher side but doesn't matters until and unless you're running 24*7 at full load.

#[member='JuGGa']

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]So once Ivy comes out then you wont recommend them for home users, eh! Is it marked in the processor that its only for gamers and workstations
<

OP may decide to just upgrade CPU after 2 years and his needs may change at that time. If such a situation arises then the LGA1155 has a definite advantage.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Also OP might have joined some 'Go Green' campaign where has vowed that he will save every watt of electricity![/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]If you could read the dhuru's post, he had asked for trade offs. So i had listed down every one of it.[/font]

^^ Won't be running 24x7 and will not be upgraded at all. Heck i'd say that they would be using the same machine 7-8 years down the line. Their laptop is a Pentium M and suffices their need
<
I'm pretty sure the A6 should be a safe bet.. No ?

Then again.. i'm not sure i'll be installing Win 8 for them in the future. Win 7 remains a familiar territory.. How much does that benefit from GPU acceleration ? Aero aside.

#[member='DarkAngel']

Its not like Ivy has been marked only for gamers or workstations
<

What I meant to say, whatever config you buy for basic household needs , there hardly arises a need to upgrade even after 3-4 yrs. Just answer- a person who would have bought a core2duo config long ago with same motive, will he ever feel the need to upgrade? Hope I'm clear this time
<

^^ Won't be running 24x7 and will not be upgraded at all. Heck i'd say that they would be using the same machine 7-8 years down the line. Their laptop is a Pentium M and suffices their need
<
I'm pretty sure the A6 should be a safe bet.. No ?

Then again.. i'm not sure i'll be installing Win 8 for them in the future. Win 7 remains a familiar territory.. How much does that benefit from GPU acceleration ? Aero aside.

It will be a safe bet. Win 8 is supposed to utilise more graphical power opposed to aero. And you never know when do you start liking win 8 and upgrade!
<

Playing HD vids along with rich content browsing also requires hardware accel^n.

#[member='dhruvrock2000']

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]#[member='JuGGa']
<
[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]http://www.anandtech...duct/403?vs=406[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Comparison between A6-3650 (Higher clocked by ~20% compared to A6-3500) and G620. The G620 wins the tests where CPU architecture plays an important role. The A6 wins the video creation and multi threaded tests. [/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]But since its going to be for a long time the AMD should be better since it has much more GPU muscle. The CPU power that it has will be sufficient enough for basic home use for years to come.[/font]

#[member='DarkAngel']

Obviously G620 is much ahead of Llano counterparts in CPU processing. I know that & already mentioned previously
<
But I guess children in the family won't need to run Prime
<

^^ Exactly. They have a 4 year old daughter who might play a few flash games at max. Rest of the usage will be emails / movies / document editing. Should suffice for years.

Back