PC Complete security solution. What to get?

one stop soln
If you are looking for a one stop solution,
i'd recommend Kaspersky Internet Security (Great Antivirus Good Firewall)
or Comodo Internet Security (Good Antivirus Great Firewall Great Sandbox))
Or maybe Emsisoft Internet Security (Great antivirus, Great Firewall , but the firewall can get on your nerves with too many pop up decisions, comodo is much better when it comes to that)

if you are a cautious user like me and don't act like a newbie on the internet, you probably wouldn't need a top of the line antivirus
but having the best firewall is a must

I always consider myself as a noobie, brain dead and get the best prevention possible. And then feel smart about it.

I purchased eset smart security 3 pc in 1 license on flipkart for 1170 or something... Got additional 3 in 1 license free... Check if its still there...

You can use the number of licenses you want and sell off the remaining...

Eset is good and light on the system.

It depends how you use your PC. My recommendations are :
For malicious contents/websites : Kaspersky IS, Bitdefender IS, ESET IS
Reason : Kaspersky & Bitdefender focus on DETECTION so they have some of the best detection rate and less False Alarms when running p****** contents. They detect infected files but allow clean p****** software.
KIS has a better firewall but a bit heavy on system. It's also very easy to use.
Bitdefender is balanced but with some bugs so if it doesn't adapt to your system it'll start to act like a virus. Currently, considered as the best antivirus.
ESET is lightest but with lowest detection rate among three as mentioned in major reviews. It is system friendly with a very good detection rate.

For genuine contents : Norton IS or Avast + Comodo Firewall.
Reason : Norton focus on PREVENTION so they check signatures of every file you run with their user trust database. It's very good when you use genuine software. It also has comparable detection rate to KIS etc. It's very annoying when you use Norton with p***** software, it blocks nearly everything which do not matches with its User Trust Database. Norton IS 2014 is the lightest AV, I've used.
AVAST has one of the best detection rate among free anti viruses and with Comodo firewall it can offer a good protection. It has a huge user base which is already increasing.

I'm presently using KIS 2014 and NIS 2014 on different OS as required. I wanted to use Bitdefender but it messed up my system 4 times till now. I've used KIS as stand alone but now I use KIS 2014+MalwareBytes+Anti-Exploit+Win-Patrol+[VPN+Emergency Kit] for a violent Environment while only Norton on other.
My system is C2D E8400 with 4Gb Ram.

dude for single solution...KIS 2014 is your best bet as this is the only IS which comes to comodo firewall in firewall security tests.
Also in av-comparative and vb100 kaspersky has been proved over period of time with great detection rates.

if you are ok with combo:-
you can go for avast / bitdefender / kaspersky AV + comodo firewall

+1 to what @Mechanic suggested !!

similar here : I've not installed any AV products for almost 2 years [ installed NAV briefly in-between though ] untill recently installed Avira Free AV without auto guard [ 4/5 months back ] along with Super Antispyware Free. I do also have other means for filtering out other malicious connections with some nice block lists in use.

So all in all a Free Av+ Free Anti Spyware application + [ FW only if needed ] is the bare minimum security setup one should have on pc unless one is using linux but there's virus/malware for linux and it variants android too :D Anyway, the main weak link in security is human so try to get contents from good source and don't just plug/pop in any Flash drive or disc.

Its not that, we don't need to use an antivirus ,
its just they are terribly ineffective against all the so called "smart" malware in the wild (like cryptolocker, cryptorbit, zeus variants, Radio Frequency malware etc)

in my view using an antivirus and or HIPS based firewall is like wearing a bullet proof vest in front of cannon fire lol, :D
it won't stop the big guys from blasting through, but just the smaller "known" ones.

In the end, it all boils down to end user computer literacy and internet etiquette .

But even then its incorrect to assume and to advocate that there is no need for antivirus and firewall for any lay user,
as you can get killed by the "small bullets" even if you do dodge the bigger "cannonballs".

I myself have been using Avira Free+ Comodo FW for the last 4 years and have never been infected inspite of being in the "High Risk" category of users
i.e. I do surf and download warez and stuff.

Used BDAV a couple of years back, and it was fine till version 2010. Since version 2011 it sucks and it brought a lot of issues. So ignored and using KIS and its doing fine.

Bitdefender is giving out free key for it's Internet security.. You can try it out for 180 days if you want. The link is in the hot deals section.

The issue is not whether its freeware or trialware. But the compatibility is . Lastly when i used it, it was a resource hog and had a lot of issues.
In simple terms, it is not light weight as KIS is.

I feel ESET, Kaspersky are good and lightweight. Quickheal is a mixed bag, sometimes lightweight, sometimes too heavy, and many times, useless.

Personally, I feel that its time to move away from Windows, especially for browsing. Once I get my SSD - moving to linux with dual boot.

Another option would be installing a Virtual Machine and browse on that.
-------------------
I had used Norton, Eset - using p****** software is no problem with either of them running - but you must remember to "exclude" the scan-folder lists. Define the rules and, remember them!

Back