CPU/Mobo PC doesn't go past BIOS splash screen

Aman27deep

Skilled
CPU - i5 760
Motherboard - MSI p55-gd65 (lga 1156)
OS - Windows 7

My pc isn't going past the motherboard splash screen anymore. Keeps powering down.

I started facing problems last Tuesday when in the night I went to sleep with some downloads on, but when I woke up my monitor, keyboard and mouse were off BUT one light on the cabinet remains blinking on even though the system fans don't work.

Even after that pc went to desktop multiple times, even played games of league of legends, TF2 and FIFA 14 until Friday.

From Saturday constant troubles.

In the bios, the computer is stable. I ran the bios for three hours just to see if it's crashing - it's not. So I guess, it's not the psu?

Solutions I have tried -

*I don't run an overclock in the summers. Also reset the bios.

*Brought friend's RAM. Changed RAM and tested, same issue.

*Tried booting with my old gpu, HD 4670. Didn't solve anything.

*Cleaning dust off the insides

*Reseating the RAM, graphic card and the cpu

*Applied new thermal paste. BIOS shows 38 degrees with a room temp of 34 degrees Celsius.

*Currently I've been trying to troubleshoot for two days straight. Can't solve my problem.

*Installed OS (Windows 8.1) on a spare empty 64gb SSD I had. No problems occurred while trying to install the os. But even then it doesn't go past the MSI splash screen.

*Yesterday it went to desktop for 5 minutes then my monitor, keyboard, fans and mouse powered down (light keeps beating the cabinet).

Press help me guys. I'm all out of ideas.

Very strange issue,usually attributed to RAM /GPU which you have already tested.HAVE you checked PSU?

I had a similar issue for a laptop out of blue.Took out the BIOS battery for 10 minutes and started it again without HDD,it showed no HDD found error.Booted next time with HDD and no problem there after.All the best.

De-assemble your whole setup. Place your mobo one a newspaper or wooden surface and connect just the keyboard and gpu and psu. Connect a sata harddisk this time rather than an ssd. First clear/reset your cmos/bios jumper. Power on your system, enter bios, select Load safe defaults and save the settings and reboot. Then if the sata hdd has any os, it might boot into it else connect your optic drive and install os and then see if it boots into the os once setup is done.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I've done a lot dissecting into what could be the problem and I have finally nailed it down to either the motherboard or the PSU. I just hope it's not the motherboard because my warranty ran out last november, and finding a LGA 1156 motherboard right now is a major PITA. Rather hope it's the PSU as it's in warranty till August.

I'll be performing tests today, and if I still can't find out the culprit, I'll be taking my cabinet to a professional shop, and see what can be done.

Best is to give your psu to your friend for a day and let him use his system on your psu and everything 'll get cleared.

Didn't you have a chance to test it with a friend's PC before packing it off for RMA?
The mainboard seems like a strong suspect!

I know that. If it's not the psu, it's the motherboard. But I had to give my Corsair H80i for RMA as well. It doesn't screw with the radiator properly. Without the H80i I can't boot my pc anyways. Therefore I gave both the H80i and VX550 for RMA. The world cup will keep me busy anyways!

Back