PC Peripherals PC fails to boot. Turns on briefly and turns off again, no boot screen

sri_rng

Adept
i have a peculiar problem. my pc was working fine till i decided to clean it :( now the cpu fan runs for a short time and the computer switches off after that. even the boot screen is not loading.

what could be the issue?

Re: fails to boot after 5 seconds

HailStonE said:
Check earthing & see you do not have any loose connectors...

I second that, and in addition check for any loose fibres shorting something, give it another clean over.

there is one green wire n any black wire of ur 24 pin mobo wire of SMPS... shot them

if your smps runs then smps is allrite...... if it doesnt then its gone... n thats what u need to replace.

i had faced exactly same thing as u did and it was my 6 month old Corsair TX750 which had gone bust

@ Sri: Troubleshooting is possible to a great extent if we know your pc specifications :). How can one troubleshoot properly without knowing a pc config?

thanks for all your help guys.. currently using my omnia pro to go online :)

it's an old pc with athlon x2 m2n mx 2gb ram, crappy iball psu.

i used a blower to clean the dust. there was lots of it in Hsf.

now when i try to turn on the fan runs for a time and goes off.

will re assemble once and let you know :)

once again thank u all for ur suggestions.

cleaned it thoroughly again. i have a doubt, the heat sink is stuck to the processor. is this how it is supposed to be? dunno if my memory is corrupted but i remember seeing the cpu without the heat sink!

waiting for your replies before i try forcing it in :)

sri_rng said:
crappy iball psu.

Scrap it. See if you can borrow a decent enough psu to see if the system can boot up, assuming that this psu didn't damage the system to a certain extent that it won't even boot. If it boots, you will need to run series of stress testing software to make sure the system is stable to be used.

sri_rng said:
i used a blower to clean the dust. there was lots of it in Hsf.

Blower as in vaccum cleaner in blower mode or those bubble hand blowers?

sri_rng said:
now when i try to turn on the fan runs for a time and goes off.

Wouldn't recommend forcing the system to start using this power supply or else it might damage the system. Changing the psu to a decent enough one and then running series of hardware tests for stability is the only logical flow of troubleshooting you can follow here.

yes it is suppose to be stuck like that some times. But this is normal .. must be the terhmal paste.

As i said ..

check PSU 1st .. then RAM ... then mobo.

Best of luck brother.

Himanshunegi198 said:
check PSU 1st .. then RAM ... then mobo.

Well- yeah. But did you say how? No offense but how will a hardware novice "check" whether psu, rams and mobo?

If you read your comments again, it doesn't help/explain a hardware novice how to check, does it? Just because a set of rams which didn't boot on one machine one fine day but booting on another, it doesn't necessarily mean it is stable to use, it only proves that the rams is stable enough to pass through POST and keep the system up till the time it reaches a particular load or a particular amount of time. You will need to use stress testing softwares like memtest 86+ which still confirms 90% that rams are stable enough to be used properly. You guys want to help, help properly rather than helping them halfway, that will just confuse novices and fall in a pit of never ending confusions :).

sri_rng said:
@sorcerer: vacuum cleaner in blower mode

Don't do that, never do that. Use the good old fashioned anti static brush/air blower like this/ and maybe one of those low powered vaccum that uses batteries (but then again, they are not powerful enough, anti static brush is the best way to go) can of compressed air. Reason, it will generate enough static and can damage the hardware components.

Follow the rest of the advice for cleaning from here: Computer Cleaning Information

sri_rng said:
the led on the motherboard glows alright. does it change anything?

Check in your motherboard manual (usually in the troubleshooting section), if they have any necessary troubleshooting step for a particular number of LED (on the board) flashing, try the troubleshooting step. If you have lost the manual, get an online copy from the asus' site. However, IIRC asus has pull down drivers/bios/manual for certain EOL products. If you can't find it, google is your friend :).

But still, follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned above. BTW, its because of preventing such scenarios that its always best if one chooses a good psu to be on the safe side :). However, using vaccum cleaner on hardware like mobo, rams, processor, hard drives, etc- that is also a big NO NO.

sri_rng said:
i have a peculiar problem. my pc was working fine till i decided to clean it :( now the cpu fan runs for a short time and the computer switches off after that. even the boot screen is not loading.

what could be the issue?

How did you 'clean it'. You:

1. Dusted it with a rag.
2. Vacuum blew it.
3. Disassembled the whole system, and put it back together.

Also:
Please update your signature. It is painful, to ask your system set up, each time you will post here. :)

@Antz123:
You cannot tell someone to short-circuit his PSU, so easily. Please man. What if he does it incorrectly. So naive. A more detailed description would be nice. And 'no', we cannot ask the knowledge seeker to go and google this term, else he would not be here.

Something like this would help, else do not suggest.

How to CC and check the PSU.

^^

Okay, missed the cleaning method. I guess, something would have become loose, or he has shorted some part.

Well, I always thought an electrical SC was this:

A short circuit (sometimes abbreviated to short or s/c) in an electrical circuit is one that allows a current to travel along a different path from the one originally intended.

So by connecting those two pins manually, are we not forcing a SC..? Or does that happen to pins 14 and 15, if the ATX connector is connected traditionally to the motherboard.

:)

asingh said:
So by connecting those two pins manually, are we not forcing a SC..?

Nope. You can't even call it as "forcing".

Overclock.net - Overclocking.net - View Single Post - How To: Jump Start A Power Supply (PSU) / Test A Power Supply And Components

You're simply turning the psu on without connecting the 20/24 pin connector. You can call it jumpstart, but this isn't the way to test a psu properly as none of the connectors are being stress tested. You can check if a psu starts, but this doesn't test the stability of the unit.

Back