PC Peripherals PC fails to boot. Turns on briefly and turns off again, no boot screen

@Sorcerer (and his magic wand):

Okay....so do pins 14 and 15 ever meet,when connected on the board..? If they do not, is it not a SC...when we shove the paper pin and connect 14-15..! :)

Pls. check the power switch connector, reset switch connector, similar connectors on motherboard. Check whether you went through the correct sequence.

sri_rng said:
i have a peculiar problem. my pc was working fine till i decided to clean it :( now the cpu fan runs for a short time and the computer switches off after that. even the boot screen is not loading.

what could be the issue?
What do you mean by short time?
Does something appear on the monitor?
Is there any numeric LED on your Mobo and if so what does it read?

Emil said:
What do you mean by short time?
Does something appear on the monitor?
Is there any numeric LED on your Mobo and if so what does it read?

Short time - 3 seconds - nothing comes on the screen
There is a power LED on the motherboard which is always on.

@ A singh

thanks for your lovely comments.... n humor

please read correctly i had mentioned shotting the green n black

there is only ONE green wire in entire set of 24pin molex and any black would do ... so it doesnt matter. Plus if you are shoting them they arent plugged to mobo so no harm to mobo or anything either.

if that doesnt jump start the smps its gone..

and no i dont think telling someone to google is anyways wrong.... its bout how to shot... if its omnia he has big screen and whole video of how to jumpstart can be seen on youtube.

so if guy has confusion he can get it right...

so lets not talk bout who is naive and who is the fairy god mother

Prole73 said:
Pls. check the power switch connector, reset switch connector, similar connectors on motherboard. Check whether you went through the correct sequence.

Correct.
Check these pins on the mobo...try disconnecting the "Hard drive LED" and "reset pins" and just keep the power switch pin connected to ur mobo. (and start).

If it still doesnt work,...then disconnect the power on pin, hard drive LED pin, reset pin on the mobo....and try shorting ur mobo.....this m quite sure shd solve ur problem. If u dont knw how to "short the mobo",...google and find out. It can be done with a screw driver.

It has to be some small niggle with ur mobo....could have unknowingly tweaked/ damaged something when u were cleaning ur mobo.

Do get back.

p.s i aint no expert,...just givin my 2 cents n tryin to help.:eek:hyeah:
Cheers.

pop out your memory slots and wait a little bit then put them back, and did u update your mother board recently cause there was a new type of virus going around that affects your mother board from starting up.

antz123 said:
@ A singh

thanks for your lovely comments.... n humor

please read correctly i had mentioned shotting the green n black

there is only ONE green wire in entire set of 24pin molex and any black would do ... so it doesnt matter. Plus if you are shoting them they arent plugged to mobo so no harm to mobo or anything either.

if that doesnt jump start the smps its gone..

and no i dont think telling someone to google is anyways wrong.... its bout how to shot... if its omnia he has big screen and whole video of how to jumpstart can be seen on youtube.

so if guy has confusion he can get it right...

so lets not talk bout who is naive and who is the fairy god mother

As it is, the OP was all ready confused, and half-baked answers like yours will confuse him even further. Yea, I know there is only one green wire, and even a bat can identify that, but putting in an image or the 'said U-tube' demonstration link would really have done wonders to the quickie post you made.

Why else do people come here, seeking fairy god mothers to their problems. You got that absolutely correct, so implement it.

Did you turn the cabinet on its side when you blew air on it? I mean was the Mobo horizontal?
In ATX, when you press the power on switch, the Mobo has a electronic latch to turn on the PSU power to the Mobo. I believe this function is not working.
The power LED on the Mobo works because it is powered from the VSB line of the PSU. This is the same line that powers the latch.
I have a suspicion there is a metal object (screw or something) snagged on a Mobo component. Please open the case, unscrew the Mobo, shake and tap it to dislodge any foreign objects and reassemble.

Back