PC for a beginner in Desktops

Knight Rider

Disciple
Q: What is your budget?
Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
Have a conked Laptop, Hence the upgrade

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
None.
Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
None, Dont know much about Desktops as I always had a laptop. So please help!
Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Would prefer somthing in which I can add RAM or change/Add the graphics card

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Bangalore
Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
Yes
Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Casual Gaming
Browsing
Desktop Processing
Downloading Movies
Watching HD movies
Should have a (24" or above) LCD monitor which can play HD format

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
I am not aware about after sales service, so Please recomend
Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
God of wars, NFS Etc

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
No Idea, Looking at playing full HD movies from the comp.
Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No
Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7

As mentioned I am not aware about the current hot selling comonents, I am looking at something which is VFM at the minimal Budget. Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Components Description Price (INR)
Processor AMD Athlon II X2 240(2.8Ghz, 2 cores, 2MB Cache) 2875
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H/Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-USB3 5500/5800
RAM 2GB 1333MHz Corsair DDRIII RAM 3000
HDD 500 GB WD Blue 2350
Monitor Benq G2420HD 10500
Cabinet CM Elite 1550
PSU/SMPS FSP SAGAII 350w 1550
Key Board Logitech SET - Optical Blk Mouse+ MMKB 700
Mouse NA -
ODD L.G. GH22NS30 /Samsung SH-S22F SATA DVD-Writer 1100
Speakers Altec Lansing 2.1 BXR1121 1100
Total 30225/30525

This setup with HD4200 IGP can handle HD videos easily and as its DDR3 based AM3 platform RAM upgrade in the future shouln't be a problem.

Even 22" monitors now a days are full HD only. So you can also opt to go for a Benq G2220HD ~ 7.7k/ Samsung 2233SW ~ 8.5k/ Dell S2209W ~ 8.5k.

With a 24" monitor its difficult to squeeze in a GPU. You can save few bucks on the monitor by going for a 22" one and get a GPU like the ATI HD4650 ~ 3k. This GPU should suffice for casual gaming but you would have to play at lower resolution at few settings turned off.

Thank you @Darkangel

Sorry, As mentioned, I am a total noob in this area, I have some questions

What is HD4200 IGP and DDR3 Based AM3 platform?

Also Is it a must to have a UPS for the setup?

Is there a huge differrence in terms of screen area between a 22" and a 24" incher?

Can I look at an Intel setup wit this budget?

Thank you @Darkangel

Is there a huge differrence in terms of screen area between a 22" and a 24" incher?

HD4200 IGP - One of the best integrated graphics in the market today.
DDR3 - The latest RAM technology
AM3 platform - Latest socket from AMD. It will fit all latest AMD processors from the single core to quad core and even the upcoming AMD's hexa-core.

AMD setup is more VFM at your budget. Intel's i-3 530+ H-55 chipset will cost ~11k and will strech your budget. There are cheaper dual core and Core 2 Duo'ss from Intel but they are EOL(End of Line). The LGA-775 which supports these wont be getting any new processors and it is not wise to invest in it for a new PC.

Monitor preference is subjective. Just check into a local harware shop and check in person. IMO if you go for a 22" one you can invest the money in a discrete GPU for a better gaming experience.

DarkAngel said:
HD4200 IGP - One of the best integrated graphics in the market today.

DDR3 - The latest RAM technology

AM3 platform - Latest socket from AMD. It will fit all latest AMD processors from the single core to quad core and even the upcoming AMD's hexa-core.

AMD setup is more VFM at your budget. Intel's i-3 530+ H-55 chipset will cost ~11k and will strech your budget. There are cheaper dual core and Core 2 Duo'ss from Intel but they are EOL(End of Line). The LGA-775 which supports these wont be getting any new processors and it is not wise to invest in it for a new PC.

Monitor preference is subjective. Just check into a local harware shop and check in person. IMO if you go for a 22" one you can invest the money in a discrete GPU for a better gaming experience.

Full support to you boss but is the RAM 1600 MHz

Oh sorry

Knight Rider said:
Thank you @Darkangel

Don't try to stuff Intel everywhere bro, biggest mistake people make in INDIA :mad:

Knight Rider said:

Yes, There is huge difference in 24" and 22" screens. Go for BenQ G2420HD eyes closed. You won't regret the purchase and there is not much price difference either.

Thank you for the kind replies, How many Ram slots does the motherboard have? Also the ram that has been mentioned is it a single stick? I also want to know if it is mandatory to have a UPS?

Thanks in advance

Knight Rider said:
Thank you for the kind replies, How many Ram slots does the motherboard have? Also the ram that has been mentioned is it a single stick? I also want to know if it is mandatory to have a UPS?

Thanks in advance
Try and look at it yourself first, use google search. Just a tip to get you the info quicker rather than having to wait for someone to reply...

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=3250
4 RAM slots

http://www.elive.co.nz/gigabyte-ga-ma785gmt-usb3-motherboard-sy2168.php
4 RAM slots

http://www.corsair.com/products/xms3/default.aspx
2GB comes as 2 sticks of 1GB each.

If you don't have an inverter, UPS is a MUST. APC is a very good brand in UPS choices.

I saw this config posted on another thread and pretty much decieded to downgarde the Monitor from 24 to 22, I have two questions

Benq G2220HD ~ 7.7k/ Samsung 2233SW ~ 8.5k/ Dell S2209W ~ 8.5k. Out of these, Which one is the best?

Also how is the config listed below? Please advise as I am planning to buy this tommorrow.
AMD Phenom 2-X2-555 BE : 4950/-
Asus M4A785T-M Board : 5650/-
Kingstone 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz : 2500/-
LG DVD writer 975/-
Cooler master Eline 334 with 400 W PSU : 3600/-
DVI to DVI connector (samsung) : 135/-
Dell 22" ST2210 LCD monitor 8400/-
Logitech keyboard and mouse MM : 650/-

Personally using a Benq 24" monitor... has to be one of the best decisions i made. The colors are realistic and good to look at , i find Samsung monitors a bit too "vivid" for my taste.

Agree with the person above , dont try to stuff Intel everywhere , AMD gives you best VFM.

There is a noticeable difference in 22 and 24" monitors. See both of them , 22" looks noticeably smaller.

Knight Rider said:
I saw this config posted on another thread and pretty much decieded to downgarde the Monitor from 24 to 22, I have two questions

Benq G2220HD ~ 7.7k/ Samsung 2233SW ~ 8.5k/ Dell S2209W ~ 8.5k. Out of these, Which one is the best?

Also how is the config listed below? Please advise as I am planning to buy this tommorrow.

AMD Phenom 2-X2-555 BE : 4950/-
Asus M4A785T-M Board : 5650/-
LG DVD writer 975/-
Cooler master Eline 334 with 400 W PSU : 3600/-
DVI to DVI connector (samsung) : 135/-
Dell 22" ST2210 LCD monitor 8400/-
Logitech keyboard and mouse MM : 650/-
Dont get Asus mobos. They dont have good A.S.S. Get the Gigabyte 785GMT-US2H ~ 4.6k or the Gigabyte 785GMT-USB3. Gigabyte mobos have very good after sales service.

Also dont get the power supply bundled with the CM Elite cabbies. They are of very poor quality.

Instead get any of the CM Elite 3xx series for 2.1k or the CM Elite 310 for 1.5k and go for the FSP SAGAII 350w or 400w ~ 1.5k/1.9k or Gigabyte Superb 460 ~ 2.2k. If u dont plan to add a high end GPU then the SAGAII 350w should suffice for anyting upto a HD5670/HD4770. The 400w will give u bit more upgrade room.

Budget permitting go for the Benq G2420HD ~ 10.8. Its a bang for buck 24" incher and got +ve reviews in the forum

As for the mobo, i would rather go with the 890gmx chipste ( msi 890gxm-g65) dont know about other makes. The IGP 4290, is really better that 4200.

chetansha said:
As for the mobo, i would rather go with the 890gmx chipste ( msi 890gxm-g65) dont know about other makes. The IGP 4290, is really better that 4200.

Top of the link 890GX chipset mobo costing 7.2k for a PC for a beginner in Desktops. :O

If graphics is important then any 4k AM3 mobo with HD4650 GPU for 2.9k will easily best the HD4290 IGP by multiples of 100%. :D

Thank yo for all the kind replies in shuch short time,
Gigabyte 785GMT-US2H ~ 4.6k or the Gigabyte 785GMT-USB3, - Which one is better?
Also, I spoke to santosh from Ashirwad computers and he suggested dell 2210 at 8600 Rs? what do you think?

Cant strech for a 24 incher at this point of time :-(

Knight Rider said:
Thank yo for all the kind replies in shuch short time,
Gigabyte 785GMT-US2H ~ 4.6k or the Gigabyte 785GMT-USB3, - Which one is better?
Also, I spoke to santosh from Ashirwad computers and he suggested dell 2210 at 8600 Rs? what do you think?

Cant strech for a 24 incher at this point of time :-(
ST2210 is a decent monitor. The Gigabyte 785GMT-US2H ~ 4.6k whereas the Gigabyte 785GMT-USB3 costs 5.8k and offers USB 3 ports extra. Go for the latter only if it fits budget. Else the formaer would be enough as it would take few yrs before USB 3.0 becomes a standard.

The prices that Santosh from ashirwad gave me were a bit differrent, However he said he will double check once he is in the shop.

AMD Phenom 2-X2-555 BE : 4700
Gigabyte 785GMT-US2H - 5500
Gigabyte 785GMT-USB3 - 6300
LG DVD writer 900/-
Cooler master Eline 310: 1600
Dell 22" ST2210 LCD monitor 8600/-
Wreless Logitech keyboard and mouse MM : 1200/-
FSp saga 2 400w:1900
FSp saga 2 350w:1600

He also said that there is no model called Benq2220, and Asus have better A.S.S. now as they pickup things from doorstep and check if it could be rectified there itself.

I also want to know which monitor to go for, Dell samsung or the Benq?

Once again thanks for all the help

Back