Budget 31-40k PC for Animation work

Abhishek813

Disciple
Q: What is your budget?

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
None

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
None

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
Everything required to get the system up and running.

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
No, If i do upgrade. I'll probably setup a server farm but that is not going to happen in the next 8-10 month.

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Hyderabad

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Animation Development

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
Yes, Exclude any brand whose service is crap in India.

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
N/A

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Desktop - 1440x900

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 64 bit

@Abhishek813 are you serious about the server-farm?

Here is what I suggest --
Intel Core i5 3550 ~12500/-
GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H ~4500/-
Corsair Vengeance 4GB x2 1600MHz ~3200/-
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB ~4500/-
HP (boxed) optical drive ~1000/-
Seasonic S12II 520W ~4400/-
Bit Fenix Merc Alpha ~2500/- (from Bhumika Peripherals, CTC, Secunderabad)
DeLL IN2030M ~6500/-
APC BR650VA-IN ~2800/-
LOGITECH MK200 ~700/-

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Last edited by a moderator:
Intel i5 3550-12.5k OR i3 3220-7k
Gigabyte B75M D3H-4.5k
Gsill RipjawsX 2x4GB 1600-3.5k
Segate 1Tb 7200.14-4.6k
Nvidia GTX650Ti-11.5k
Seasonic S12ii 520W-4k OR Corsair CX430V2-2.4k
Dell ST2220L-8.5k
Nzxt Gamma-2.4k OR CM Elite 311-3k
Hope this helps.
happy19.gif

- - - Updated - - -

OP needs a good Nvidia GPU hence GTX650Ti OR similar would be good choice for him,He'll have to stretch the budget a bit if he needs a quad core cpu with a Cuda supported GPU.
DeLL IN2030M ~6500/-
APC BR650VA-IN ~2800/-
LOGITECH MK200 ~700/-

OP needs a good Nvidia GPU hence GTX650Ti OR similar would be good choice for him,He'll have to stretch the budget a bit if he needs a quad core cpu with a Cuda supported GPU.

Why does he need a CUDA graphics card? I think he can live without it, a Core i5 will be a better investment in the long run.

Where are you getting such prices for the GTX650Ti, that card retails for ~12500/- and above. At ~9500/- lurks the GTX650 (non-Ti) which gets chewed up by a HD7770GHz edition.

And seeing where he is from (Hyderabad) the Bit Fenix cabinet will be much better (vis-á-vis Elite 311) and available (NZXT Gamma?).

@Abhishek813 are you serious about the server-farm?

DeLL IN2030M ~6500/-
APC BR650VA-IN ~2800/-
LOGITECH MK200 ~700/-

Server Farm....will be decided in the future...it depends on our animation needs....

Well for Animation rendering and overall it's better to get a Nvidia GPU,Also Zotac GTX650Ti AMP edition is listed for 11.5k on FK it was a typo above on Ti edition,If OP's getting Bit Fenix locally then it's great to get it.
Why does he need a CUDA graphics card? I think he can live without it, a Core i5 will be a better investment in the long run.

Where are you getting such prices for the GTX650Ti, that card retails for ~12500/- and above. At ~9500/- lurks the GTX650 (non-Ti) which gets chewed up by a HD7770GHz edition.

And seeing where he is from (Hyderabad) the Bit Fenix cabinet will be much better (vis-á-vis Elite 311) and available (NZXT Gamma?).

Well for Animation rendering and overall it's better to get a Nvidia GPU

Well weren't we suggesting AMD cards for their better compute performance for the same reason OR I am mighty confused.

And he is not gaming so back to the trusty old Quadro FX-600 ~9500/- for OP.

For animation and rendering Nvidia cards are better because for CUDA and Physx support,Quadro FX-600 would be a good choice if OP is ready to compromise gaming.
Well weren't we suggesting AMD cards for their better compute performance for the same reason OR I am mighty confused.

And he is not gaming so back to the trusty old Quadro FX-600 ~9500/- for OP.

Answers your question, methinks. Calling up @Chaos for the rest of the clarifications.

So a couple of questions...

1. Where can i get the prices you guys have quoted? Where in hyd?
2. How about an i7 to make the computer future proof?
3. RAM, i am thinking 12gb...does that make sense?
4. UPS - Not required, Our office has a full backup and a UPS.
5. Between Seasonic S12II 520W and Corsair CX430V2 which is better and why?

I have been reading online and people are suggesting that i need a good graphic card for rendering and for developing animations(2d and 3d) what do you guys think?

Where's OP gone :ashamed: .... For Animation (he has'nt specified what/which are his main softwares) - so for the GPU

A] If Maya - then an Nvidia is a must
ASUS GTX650TI-1GD5 - Rs 11,250 with 768 CUDA's & 1 GB
GigaByte GV-N650OC-2GI GeForce GTX 650 Graphic Card - 1110 MHz Core - 2 GB GDDR5 SDRAM - Rs 8499/- with 384 Cuda's

B] If 3ds Max - then Radeon
- Check with others which is the best in your budget

Drop the Quadro 600 & settle for any of the above.

You can order ONLINE & from any of the reliable & credible sites in India. I recently purchased my entire RIG - 100 percent Online from 4 different sites.

You can also check prices at theitdepot - which is the best online site down south (so may shipping may be cheaper than mumbai & delhi ).

Now or at a later stage, do consider adding an SSD drive to give a phenomenal boost in speed & performance.

All the best

Terry

I have been reading online and people are suggesting that i need a good graphic card for rendering and for developing animations(2d and 3d) what do you guys think?

Any one out there to answer these questions? Also, for anyone interested...We use 3dmax for our animation needs.

1-I don't know much about Hyd local shops so other members will comment on it.
2-The Intel i5 3550 will do the job for you,It is good enough for 2-3 years running so no need to worry.
3-Well you can always add as much ram as you can,For your line of work you can start with 8GB ram as suggested,If that's not enough then add more.
4-You can save cash and add the UPS money to GPU like Quadro 600-10k
5-For PSU go for Seasonic S12ii 520W-4.2k it's better to get a solid psu so get that.
The Quadro 600 will do a good job for rendering and other stuff it's the best within that budget.An upgrade over this card would be about 20k more than quadro 600 so get what's in the budget.
Hope this helps.:)

So i have got another quote and was wondering if i could get the experts opinion on it...

1. Intel i7 3 generation
2. intel 677gb
1 and 2 combined 25, 800 INR
3. Simmtronics 4x2gb - 950/each
4. 2tb HDD - 6000
5. Cooler Master 600 VA - 5000
6. ATX 400 VA - 3900
7. NVIDIA GT630 (4GB) - 9750

Thanks!!

-Abhishek

So i have got another quote and was wondering if i could get the experts opinion on it...

1. Intel i7 3 generation
2. intel 677gb
1 and 2 combined 25, 800 INR
3. Simmtronics 4x2gb - 950/each
4. 2tb HDD - 6000
5. Cooler Master 600 VA - 5000
6. ATX 400 VA - 3900
7. NVIDIA GT630 (4GB) - 9750

Thanks!!

-Abhishek

1. Quote the excat Intel 3rd GEN proccy. Also this would be really an overkill for your budget

2. What is this intel 667Gb Motherboard. never heard about it!

3. Simmtronics... Pal you must be joking, for a 40k rig. Please stick with Corsair or Gskill, Both have atleast a 10 year/lifetime warranty and is covered well in INDIA.

4. 2 TB, probably you would use this as your boot drive? Get 2x1TB , atleast a 7200rpm, 64MB cache drive either from Western Digital / Seagate

5. Seasonic power supply is better else opt in for COrsair again.

6. Get a Cabby without a PSU. NZXT Gamma, Cooler Master; your choice totally!

7. Please Get a 6850 or 7770 minimum to run you through for some time, better manufactures are from Sapphire, Asus, MSI..

Let ALPHA17 , Jakob pour in their thoughts too.. Infact they have given you the best available options..
Dont let the sales guy loot your money...

Where's OP gone :ashamed: .... For Animation (he has'nt specified what/which are his main softwares) - so for the GPU

A] If Maya - then an Nvidia is a must
ASUS GTX650TI-1GD5 - Rs 11,250 with 768 CUDA's & 1 GB
GigaByte GV-N650OC-2GI GeForce GTX 650 Graphic Card - 1110 MHz Core - 2 GB GDDR5 SDRAM - Rs 8499/- with 384 Cuda's

B] If 3ds Max - then Radeon
- Check with others which is the best in your budget

Uhmmm.....you sure?

I kind of got the exact opposite advice from Alpha a few weeks ago when he suggested that compute performance matters for Maya and ergo, a Radeon card would be better.

Edit - Bugger...didn't realize this thread was quite old. Apologies for bumping it.

Deepcee, terence_fdes, ALPHA17, Jakob : Since this has been brought up, I'd like to state that I'm curious about what the GPU's role in the animation pipeline exactly is. Whenever a suggestion for a rig meant for animation is sought, a relatively high-end GPU is almost always suggested as a must-have. So I'm hoping members can clarify some of the following.

IINM, primarily the GPU has to have enough juice to be able to render things in the viewport. By this, I mean that you should be able to comfortably navigate the viewports without lag. In this regard, I'm not really aware of any major difference between Max & Maya. What 'enough juice' means will depend on the complexity of the model & how many things you want to view at the same time.

Also, the GPU RAM becomes important if you're putting out huge textures. It'll also matter for a hardware renderer like Iray, which will switch to the CPU if the scene to be rendered doesn't fit into the RAM.

For rendering, one will 1st need to be using a renderer which is capable of using the GPU, for this consideration to matter. Thus, for instance, while Iray uses the GPU for rendering, I think Mental Ray doesn't. [I say think because that was the case at least about a couple of years back. I'm not really sure about the latest versions].

Between ATI & Nvidia, AFAIK, if you're concerned with the viewport performance & texture handling alone, then you can go with either. If the GPU is required for rendering though, it's best to go into the particular renderer of choice. For instance, if it's Iray, then it has to be an Nvidia card, since CUDA is necessary for the renderer to use hardware acceleration. Also, I believe Mental Ray has been bought over by Nvidia. So that's something to figure in.

So I'd request someone to confirm if I've got my facts straight, & correct me if not. Many thanks. Much appreciated.

Hi Guys,

I am back.. :)

First of all, thank you very much for all you suggestions, I have finally decided on a configuration and I am having it assembled.

Here is the configuration i went with and the prices i got.

Intel i5 3550 3.7GHz - 12,450
GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H - 4,000
Corsair 16gb(total) - 1,550 each
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB 64MB cache - 4,350
Didn't get Bit Fenix Merc Alpha so went with Cooler Master - 4,000
Seasonic S12ii 520W - 1,850
Dell IN2030M - 6,000
Logitech MK200 - 7,00
GTX650TI - 10,000
Windows 7 Professional x64 - 10,000

As for my question about simmtronics, I know the guy who is the dealer for simmtronics in Hyderabad and i don't have to worry about replacements that why i asked if i could use simmtronics instead of the ones you recommended.

Back