Budget 21-30k pc for nephew! help...

building a machine for my nephew, for daily use + downloads + shows n all, given all the details below, quick help is appreciated, as im planning to get done with this over the weekend.
:hail:

Q: What is your budget?

25K (can push a bit if needed)

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

just have a mouse g300/ will be buying everything else. lol

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

mouse g300 logitech.

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Yes, but this can be upgraded as the months go and i save up more.
i plan to make this a nas once he leaves (to pursue further studies) so something compact will really help.

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Mumbai
Open to online purchase

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
Yes

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Gaming (light gaming would help) not a huge requirement
Browsing
Desktop Processing (this is required as hes going to code + office / access / run a blog etc)
HTPC (this too is req) watches alot of youtube/movies/tvshows
Download rig, 24x7 operation (not really 24/7 but will be on atleast 10hrs a day)
Watching HD movies (yep hd playback is a must)

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
i have no clue which is good/bad/ please suggest accordingly as id like to buy stuff id get replacement soon of lol

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
FPS & rpg's
Racing - at medium to high settings

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Gaming - 1280x728
Desktop - 1440x900 (higher would be good)

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No (unless it will help the machine/gaming in someway)

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

1. Windows 7 64 bit

@toxicdrift this is what I suggest --

AMD A6-3500 ~4500/- OR A6-3650 ~6000/-
MSi A75MA-G55 ~5500/- OR GIGABYTE-A75M-S2V ~5000/-
Corsair Vengeance 2GB x2 1600MHz ~1800/-
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB[64MB cache] ~5000/- OR Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB ~4000/- [if you want to save cash, get a second hand drive under warranty cover from the Member's Market]
HP [boxed] optical drive ~1000/-
Corsair CX v2430W ~2500/-
NZXT Gamma ~2400/- OR NZXT Source Elite 210 ~2600/-
DELL IN2030M ~6500/-
APC BR600VA-IN ~2000/-
LOGITECH multimedia combo ~700/-

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Last edited by a moderator:
if we remove the apc + cabinet + optical drive + hdd + keyboard combo

can we upto a better config in 25k then the one mentioned above?

im planning to make this a upgradeable setup, maybe add a gfx card later or now.. so that he can enjoy some gaming too. so i need a cpu that will go well if i end up puttin a 7770 or similar 10k card.

Well excluding that you can get-
Intel i5 2400-10.5k[Quad Core Processor with better performance]
Intel DH67BL-B3-5.6k
Gskill RipjawsX 2X2GB-1.7k
Corsair CX v2430W-2.4k
Dell IN2030M-6k OR Dell ST2220L-8.5k[Full HD 22" Monitor]
Hope this helps.:)

can we upto a better config in 25k then the one mentioned above?

im planning to make this a upgradeable setup, maybe add a gfx card later or now.. so that he can enjoy some gaming too. so i need a cpu that will go well if i end up puttin a 7770 or similar 10k card.

I would prefer not to cut-back on the expenses of a decent cabinet because this is one component that can last you for ~2 -->3 builds without issue [until there are no fundamental changes in the design principle of components].

Apart from that a ~25000/- RIG that holds all for current usage and a gaming grade graphics card later, I think @Jakob has provided you with decent build.

I would prefer not to cut-back on the expenses of a decent cabinet because this is one component that can last you for ~2 -->3 builds without issue [until there are no fundamental changes in the design principle of components].

Apart from that a ~25000/- RIG that holds all for current usage and a gaming grade graphics card later, I think Jakob has provided you with decent build.

ive come up with this one as for now, yes its shooting up the budget but i think itll be done in one go and good enough for current gaming i suppose?
trying to look at what @Jakob also suggested. seems like a good config, but i read up on that mobo having some issues so just wondering weather its a good bet to go for a intel one.

AMD FX4100 - RS. 6750
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 - Rs. 6254
MSI R7770 - RS. 8600
hdd - used 250gb 2.5incher (have with me) temp drive.
Seasonic S12II 520 Watts PSU - Rs. 4400
NZXT Gamma ~2400/-
DELL IN2030M ~6500/-
36500. approx.

what do u guys think?

ive come up with this one as for now, yes its shooting up the budget but i think itll be done in one go and good enough for current gaming i suppose?
trying to look at what @Jakob also suggested. seems like a good config, but i read up on that mobo having some issues so just wondering weather its a good bet to go for a intel one.

AMD FX4100 - RS. 6750
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 - Rs. 6254
MSI R7770 - RS. 8600
hdd - used 250gb 2.5incher (have with me) temp drive.
Seasonic S12II 520 Watts PSU - Rs. 4400
NZXT Gamma ~2400/-
DELL IN2030M ~6500/-
36500. approx.

Avoid the AMD Bulldozer lineup, it is an inconsistent performer and crumbles in front of Intel offerings. The Intel DH67-BL is a very widely bought motherboard and Intel has a decent after-sales-support network in India so you will be covered in case of any problems.

Here are a few reviews for the AMD FX-4100 --> AMD FX-4100 Quad Core 3.6GHz Bulldozer Processor Review - The AMD FX-4100 CPU - Legit Reviews / AMD FX 4100 Black Edition review | from TechRadar's expert reviews of Processors / AMD FX-8120, AMD FX-6100 and AMD FX-4100 CPUs Review - X-bit labs.

When it comes to performance we were shocked to see the AMD A8-3850 'Llano' processor and the Socket FM1 platform performing better than the AMD FX-4100 'Bulldozer' processor and the Socket AM3+ platform. We quickly found out that the FX-4100 was priced this low as it needed to be. The performance of the FX-4100 wasn't awful, but we didn't expect to see the AMD A6-3650 running at 2.6GHz to beat the AMD FX-4100 running at 3.6GHz in benchmarks like POV-Ray and Cinebench!

The AMD FX-4100 did do well when it came to overclocking and it might be the easiest processor to overclock that we have used in the past ten years. We were able to get a 1GHz overclock out of the processor by just raising the multiplier in the BIOS of the ASUS Crosshair V Formula motherboard. We didn't even have to touch any voltages to reach this overclock. That is mighty impressive and just goes to show how easy it is to overclock today. The massive 1GHz overclock helps boost the performance of this processor to more respectable levels and is the saving grace of this processor. If it wasn't this overclockable, we wouldn't suggest it at all.

Use Jakob's RIG + HD7770 GHz edition if you want to game and have a sufficiently powerful RIG for the future, the fact that you do not want to over-clock doesn't upset the boat as the FX-series without generous doses of over-clocking are slower than their predecessors and contemporaries; the Phenom II line-up and AMD Llano chips respectively.

toxicdrift
I would suggest the Intel Core i3-2100 ~ 6.8k + Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H ~ 4.8k.
Rest of the config looks fine.
@ALPHA17 - Why the Intel DH67-BL when flipkart sells the Gigabyte B75M-D3H which has better specs than the Intel at a cheaper price.
The B75 even has internal USB 3.0 headers.

toxicdrift
I would suggest the Intel Core i3-2100 ~ 6.8k + Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H ~ 4.8k.
Rest of the config looks fine.
@ALPHA17 - Why the Intel DH67-BL when flipkart sells the Gigabyte B75M-D3H which has better specs than the Intel at a cheaper price.
The B75 even has internal USB 3.0 headers.

Nothing as such against the GIGABYTE motherboard DarkAngel.

Just that the Intel DH67-BL is now hard-wired in my head for such situations, it just comes up naturally whilst the former has a slightly more convoluted name and thus I do not recommend it straight up. Cheerio!

P.S. -- Another thing I find is GIGABYTE India is really inconsistent, in its offerings and stocking options. I remember there was a time when they were marketing an excellent AMD 880G motherboard with USB 3.0 and SATA III ports but finding it in stock after the initial wave of purchases was an exercise of perseverance. No shopkeeper had it, most of them were sold out / phased out OR locked up in the company stock-houses.

OK, now i read the gaming bit is identical with the 620 + i3 base model (legitreviews) so ive come up with this config.. i hope the cpu will go well with the gfx card. damn ive never had so many issues deciding up a config hahahaha the options ppl have these days is crazy. does this look like a balanced config or have i gone overboard or underboard now?

Dual Core G620 + DH61HO (or gigabyte mobo) - Rs. 6250
8gb 1333 - 2600
Corsair 430CX - 430W - 2875
WD CAVIAR BLUE 500GB - 3600
MONITOR 20 - 6500
NZXT GAMMA - 2500
MSI R6770-MD1GD5 @ Rs.6,550/-

30k approx.

OK, now i read the gaming bit is identical with the 620 + i3 base model (legitreviews) so ive come up with this config.. i hope the cpu will go well with the gfx card. damn ive never had so many issues deciding up a config hahahaha the options ppl have these days is crazy. does this look like a balanced config or have i gone overboard or underboard now?

Dual Core G620 + DH61HO (or gigabyte mobo) - Rs. 6250
8gb 1333 - 2600
Corsair 430CX - 430W - 2875
WD CAVIAR BLUE 500GB - 3600
MONITOR 20 - 6500
NZXT GAMMA - 2500
MSI R6770-MD1GD5 @ Rs.6,550/-

A few changes from my side --
GIGABYTE-B75-D3H ~4500/- [a more feature rich motherboard than the frugal H61, sports USB 3.0 and SATA III ports]
Instead of ~1333MHz RAM modules, go for as much RAM rated at 1600MHz (it will raise expenses but performance will go up)] -- AnandTech - Sandy Bridge Memory Scaling: Choosing the Best DDR3 / DDR3 SDRAM for Sandy Bridge: Choosing the Best Memory for LGA1155 Platform. Page 7 - X-bit labs.
Sandy Bridge's improved memory controller has all but eliminated the need for extreme memory bandwidth, at least for this architecture. It's only when you get down to DDR3-1333 that you see a minor performance penalty. The sweet spot appears to be at DDR3-1600, where you will see a minor performance increase over DDR3-1333 with only a slight increase in cost.

We also found that memory bandwidth does scale with CPU clock speed; however, it still doesn't translate into any meaningful real-world performance. The sweet spot still appears to be DDR3-1600. All of the extra performance gained by overclocking almost certainly comes from the CPU overclock itself and not from the extra memory bandwidth.

HD6770, instead of this card try to find the price of the HD7750, if it is less than a ~500/- increment over the base price of this [HD6770] then go for the latter.

Rest checks out.

ok guys im ordering the dell st2220l for him, so he has full 25k to spend on the pc parts. can we do a full final config which im plannin to get from lamington tomorrow. i can put 4k more in this so basically 30k approx.

sorry ppl, once last time, help me out!! ALPHA17 Jakob AND others!

- - - Updated - - -

need a mobo / ram / cpu + psu + cabinet (hdd + dvd(dont really need) will upgrade later) if possible add a gfx or a later upgrade! i want this pc upgradeable a bit futureprooof atleast the next 10 months . or add hdd now and upgrade gfx later lol im confused between the two .. i think hdd is better right?

Intel i5 - 2500K - 12500
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard - 10500 (does this mobo have any issues? i read in another suggestion thread that it does)
4gb - 1700
SEASONIC 620w - 4820
elcheapo cabby with the rest

run a temp drive + upgrade gfx in the coming weeks.

Also jakob mentioned that it sells for 9500 the extreme4... where is this? Mumbai? cuz sites r all showing 10600

need a mobo / ram / cpu + psu + cabinet (hdd + dvd(dont really need) will upgrade later) if possible add a gfx or a later upgrade! i want this pc upgradeable a bit futureprooof atleast the next 10 months . or add hdd now and upgrade gfx later lol im confused between the two .. i think hdd is better right?

Intel i5 - 2500K - 12500
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard - 10500 (does this mobo have any issues? i read in another suggestion thread that it does)
4gb - 1700
SEASONIC 620w - 4820

run a temp drive + upgrade gfx in the coming weeks.

Also jakob mentioned that it sells for 9500 the extreme4... where is this? Mumbai? cuz sites r all showing 10600

I had some recent Chat with Mediamen Tech Distributor of Asrock mobos!- They quote a 9500+ Taxes + Shipping Charges = Around 10500!

I would Go with Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 Motherboard for 11K! And You might just also add a Good CPU Cooler Down the Road! ALPHA17 Jakob May Suggest Some Decent CPU Cooler! I have not Much idea About Cooling Category!

Intel i5 - 2500K - 12500
4gb - 1700
SEASONIC 620w - 4820

Get the following for your brother [no need for an over-clockable RIG for future-proofing] --

Intel Core i5 3450 ~12500/-
GIGABYTE-GA-B75M-D3H ~4500/- [the ASRock EXtreme4 motherboard has plenty of issues, hit the newegg page and you will know]
Corsair Vengeance OR G.Skill RIPJAWS 2GB x2 1600MHz ~1800/- [this so that the memory runs in dual-channel mode]
Seasonic S12II 520W ~4000/- [Bombay pricing, online it is ~4400/-]
NZXT Gamma ~2400/- [do not go for a cheap cabinet if you are buying even a moderately powerful graphics card in the coming week]

NZXT Gamma ~2400/- [do not go for a cheap cabinet if you are buying even a moderately powerful graphics card in the coming week]

Since the OP is okay getting a cheap local cabinet why is this required?
After coming to this forum I understood that a good PSU is required to power the components and keep them safe and working for longer. So i now agree to spend a good amount on it.
But what is the advantage of a cabinet? The only thing i can think of is good airflow, but if the temperatures are within limits or if one keeps the side cover open how does it matter if its a cheap cabinet provided evething can fit inside it?

Since the OP is okay getting a cheap local cabinet why is this required?
After coming to this forum I understood that a good PSU is required to power the components and keep them safe and working for longer. So i now agree to spend a good amount on it.
But what is the advantage of a cabinet? The only thing i can think of is good airflow, but if the temperatures are within limits or if one keeps the side cover open how does it matter if its a cheap cabinet provided evething can fit inside it?

Well apart from the airflow, the other aspect that comes into play, is the interior space management and whether the cabinet has painted interiors both are poorly managed in cheap cabinet. Tool-less construct is another plus point that the comes to mind. Overall build quality and steel / plastics used is also better. Most cheap cabinets come with small ~92mm fan mounts, whilst the industry is working on 120mm fans these days.

ok guys lonng day today, ive ordered these ,

i5 3570k
asrock z77 extreme 4
corsair vengeance 4gb 1600
dell in2030m lcd

nowwwww i need help with a psu (one that will power and oc the above rig and a 7850 or round that card power output...
seasonic 520? or 620? anything good and cheaperrr from antec/cm/fsp?
need a gaming keyboard, should i get a tvs gold mechanical? mouse i have what in my sig, the cm mousepad+g300 which will end up with him..

also if i were to slap on a cheapo gfx card what would u pick? or just save n buy a decent one that will run good with the 2030m monitor? i think the res is 1600x900

asrock z77 extreme 4 -- BAD CHOICE ON THIS ONE

nowwwww i need help with a psu (one that will power and oc the above rig and a 7850 or round that card power output...
need a gaming keyboard, should i get a tvs gold mechanical? mouse i have what in my sig, the cm mousepad+g300 which will end up with him..

also if i were to slap on a cheapo gfx card what would u pick? or just save n buy a decent one that will run good with the 2030m monitor? i think the res is 1600x900

Cancel the order of the ASRock Extreme4 motherboard, try to get the GIGABYTE-B75MX-D3H ~9500/-

For the SMPS, the Seasonic S12II620W OR Corsair TX v2650W ~5800/- are what I would recommend.

For a gaming keyboard at that price point, your best call is the MICROSOFT SIDEWINDER X4 ~2000/-.

Instead of putting a cheap graphics card now, just hold your horses [do with the HD4000 iGP] and save up till you have enough dough to get the HD7850 / 7870 2GB.

ok guys lonng day today, ive ordered these ,

i5 3570k
asrock z77 extreme 4
corsair vengeance 4gb 1600
dell in2030m lcd

Congrats for the purchases. Let us know the reviews of Z77 extreme 4.
Seasonic 520 would be enough or you can try out TX650 from corsair if budget allows.
Gaming keyboard : Razer Blackwidow is the cheapest mechanical available and if not inclined towards mechanical then Razer Arctosa is also a nice keyboard.
GPU : pick up radeon 7770 and you will green to go gaming

@ALPHA17 - the board is good bro, ive been reading up and talkin to ppl, yes it has a few bugs, but i guess every board does, i got it at a discount thus the jump, also the sidewinder i think is end of cycle, cant find it anywhere.
Havok - thanks and i will do, its been long since ive used a powerful pc but lol..
think corsair rma is way better then seasonics so i think im gonna go the tx/hx way.

also since ive maxxxed the hell out of my budget i think the 7770 will do, maybe sell it later n get a good card.

hey guys, need a cabinet suggestion, good ones under 3-4k ?

Back