Graphic Cards PC freezing after installing new HD6850

Arjun

Skilled
I bought a Sapphire HD6850 today, installed the latest 11.5 drivers ,

I started Mafia 2 , did the in game benchmark and right after the bench mark ended , my pc froze , i got a black screen and had to switch off the power to restart the system ,

After this i did a benchmark test with Kombuster and there was no freezing during the test , heres the result
http://i.imgur.com/qO0Qo.png

Load/idle temp
http://i.imgur.com/t79hJ.png

http://i.imgur.com/BwHlp.png
My system i3 540 ( no overclock )
2x2gb Corsair 1333mhz
Corsair CX400 PSU
Seagate 1 tb hdd
Sony DVD RW
2x Cooler Master Fans

Got another freeze/black screen when i was writing this post , this is a 4 month old PC and this freeze has happened once before few weeks back , what should i do now?

Edit
PC keeps freezing , has frozen 4 times during writing this post , now i removed the 6 pin power connector and using 6pin to molex adaptor that i got with the card , problem is either the card or the PSU.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I had to remove the card , i ran kombuster test again but it doesnt freeze during the test but freezes after sometime, it keeps freezing , should i get this replaced?

Can you memtest the RAMs in DOS mode. One at a time. Make sure a successful CMOS reset ---> reach to desktop has happened, then do the memtest in DOS.

I dont think you should really use a 6850 with CX400. Have you tried installing latest drivers? As you told that the pc has frozen for 4 times during 1 single post of yours, then either its a power issue, or its a driver issue.

asingh said:
Can you memtest the RAMs in DOS mode. One at a time. Make sure a successful CMOS reset ---> reach to desktop has happened, then do the memtest in DOS.

^ will do it , post back , how long should i do the test?

simforgotten said:
I dont think you should really use a 6850 with CX400. Have you tried installing latest drivers? As you told that the pc has frozen for 4 times during 1 single post of yours, then either its a power issue, or its a driver issue.
My PSU coulld be faulty but i am 100% sure it can handle the 6850 , 6850 uses only slightly more power than a 5770 and my CPU is also low power , without the GPU my PC only uses about 50 watts in idle, i tested it with Kill-a-watt

simforgotten said:
thats bullshit
im running gts 450 + i3 108w +75w with saga 350w for 8months

@v.na5h

I used to think like you when I had my 7900 GT with a Frontech 500 watt psu. 1 year, no problem at all, after that, one day, my psu blew up and my card also went bad with it. After that incident, I realized the importance of good psus.

Also, psu is not a componet you will upgrade every now and then, so adding some headroom is always recommended. Your pc works fine now, who knows you add some add on components in it and your psu cant supply the extra power. That is why, always get some headroom regarding psu.

Also, efficiency matters with temperature increase.

If i decide to get this replaced tommorrow , should i go to the dealer or the service center ? i should get a new replacement because its DOA, spoke to Service centre (Aditya Infotech) and they said if they have stock i will get hand to hand replacement.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

simforgotten said:
Also, psu is not a componet you will upgrade every now and then, so adding some headroom is always recommended. Your pc works fine now, who knows you add some add on components in it and your psu cant supply the extra power. That is why, always get some headroom regarding psu.

Also, efficiency matters with temperature increase.

My PC with a HD 6850 will consume about 200 - 220 watts under full load , or max 250 watts , still its enough

Also is the system set up to record memory dumps if it crashes. Check under C:/windows/minidumps. Send the files my way can check them.

Also guys, let us trouble shoot the standard way, then jump to hardware change.

There are no dumps when this happens , i have nirsoft mini dump viewer installed which can read the dumps and last dump date is about a week back , i get BSODS sometimes when i resume PC from sleep mode , it is common issue caused by some driver,

This video shows what happens YouTube - ‪6850 Blackscreen‬‏ , i found a post through googling that says it happens due to memory voltage regulator overheating

Back