PC hangs on playing source....:(

IceFusion

Skilled
I have a P4 3ghz with 865gbfmobo....512mb ram and ATI 9600 128mb..

Everything used to be fine a week ago...

But now whenever i try to play source the game starts connects 2 the online server runs for some time and then my pc hangs....the monitor screen turns off...the power LED in the cpu is on all fans running ,no harddisk activity..
and nothing happens unless i restart the pc..

This occurs only while playing cs source....even when the AC is on... :huh:
Although the processir's heatsink and the gfx cards's heatsink is preety damn hot when the pc crashes...
Wht i cant understand is y dosent it crash while playing other games such as quake 3 or UT2k4...
It runs fine while running normally...

One of my friemds suggested tht i get a bigger heatsink...will tht help..
the sidepanel of my pc is open all the time so tht it dosent get over heated....

THe normal bios temp's of my pc tht it shows is well over 75 and on playing any game it reaches 85...dont tell me these are 2 high cause my pc was running finr on these temp from the last 2 months..

I have only updated my gfx drivers to the latest omega drivers and the usual windows and steam updates...

Any idea wht happenned all of a sudden :huh:

IceFusion said:
I have a P4 3ghz with 865gbfmobo....512mb ram and ATI 9600 128mb..

Everything used to be fine a week ago...

But now whenever i try to play source the game starts connects 2 the online server runs for some time and then my pc hangs....the monitor screen turns off...the power LED in the cpu is on all fans running ,no harddisk activity..
and nothing happens unless i restart the pc..

This occurs only while playing cs source....even when the AC is on... :huh:
Although the processir's heatsink and the gfx cards's heatsink is preety damn hot when the pc crashes...
Wht i cant understand is y dosent it crash while playing other games such as quake 3 or UT2k4...
It runs fine while running normally...

One of my friemds suggested tht i get a bigger heatsink...will tht help..
the sidepanel of my pc is open all the time so tht it dosent get over heated....

THe normal bios temp's of my pc tht it shows is well over 75 and on playing any game it reaches 85...dont tell me these are 2 high cause my pc was running finr on these temp from the last 2 months..

I have only updated my gfx drivers to the latest omega drivers and the usual windows and steam updates...

Any idea wht happenned all of a sudden :huh:

Try running cpuburn to make sure that the pc is stable when it gets extremely hot. Those are insane temps that you just mentioned. I'd suggest you run memtest86 as well to be sure that ram is not at fault. i've noticed that source and 3dmark2k1 (yeah not 2k3 and not 2k5) are the 3d apps that are most sensitive to stability issues. Next check the power supply voltages under load. Are they sagging really bad? If so PSU is the culprit. If the psu, cpu and ram are stable, then its a graphics card driver issue. Try around with different drivers. Try 4.12 as it seems to be the most stable of the lot.

woah, those temps are really really high, and the I865 mobo has a safty feature like many modos do and it just switches ur pc off if the temps get too high.

regarding u being able to play other games, well other games might not me that much taxing, coz for me, i play all games fine, even HL2, but when i play UG2, i my temps shoot up quite a bit.

here is what i recommend you

remove heatsink of your prcessor, clean it, reapply thermal paste if u have it, and install it back, because you keep your side pannel open, lots of dust gets accumilated on the heatsink which will hamper your cooling performance.

Btw, mine is a prescott too, 2.8 HT, idles at about 50 and max at about 64-68. Though am using a TT spark 7 HSF.

IceFusion said:
i ran the memtest it got 13 errors within 150% of checking......does this mean my ram's busted?/
What timings are the ram set at? Try 3-4-4-10 @DDR400. If it still gives errors, try DDR333.

Back