CPU/Mobo PC not switching on!!

I have a P4 2.4 Ghz, 512 Ram, Geforce4 MX 440 card, 160 GB HDD...
The problem is when I switch on the PC, all the fans inside start spinning but the monitor shows no display...
But when i connect the monitor to the onboard grafic card ... i get the 'Frequency out of range' message....

What could be the problem? Is my motherboard the culprit here?

I also had some problems with IDE connections earlier... Sometimes my Hard disks wouldn't get detected.... Most of the times simply reconnecting the cables after removingthem would do the trick.. But now nothing seems to work... I can't get the computer to work.....

it's possible that things may be getting a little overheated in there. If this is an older computer, I would suggest taking the side/top panel off disconnecting each component that has a fan(including the fans themselves) for example the graphics card and the cpu cooler. Take the fans off and give them a good clean with an old toothbrush to clean out any built up dust and gunk that may be affecting the fans ability to keep the system temps down, when all is cleaned off, re-attach everything and try again. If they are looking pretty clean, this is most likely not your issue, and cleaning them probably won't help.

Yup... Tried that...Evrything is clean... I had recently cleaned evrything from the fan blades to the heatsink fins.... And i leave my cabinet open most of the time... So overheating should not be a problem.....

what's the size of your monitor? Have you connected this PC or HDD to another display recently?

"Freqency out of range" msg comes when Windows is set to a resolution higher than the monitor supports.

or boot into safe mode with vga mode enabled. there u can change the display resolution and also change refresh rate for the card.

Homer said:
what's the size of your monitor? Have you connected this PC or HDD to another display recently?

"Freqency out of range" msg comes when Windows is set to a resolution higher than the monitor supports.

kippu said:
if you have anyother monitor ... connect it and then bring down the display size

6pack said:
or boot into safe mode with vga mode enabled. there u can change the display resolution and also change refresh rate for the card.

The problem is that the system does not even boot into windows... It doesn't even show the BIOS setup screen... I switch on the CPU and all I get is the 'Frequency out of range' message on the screen...

scarezebra said:
The problem is that the system does not even boot into windows... It doesn't even show the BIOS setup screen... I switch on the CPU and all I get is the 'Frequency out of range' message on the screen...

Do you get any beeps after hitting the power button?

Homer said:
Do you get any beeps after hitting the power button?

Err.. actually my system stopped giving beeps for a long time now... I think the internel speaker conked off.. So i never used to get the 'everything ok'-beep as well when every thing was fine....

Clean your Ram and Ram slots and re seat it firmly.

Seems not a problem with the memory.
I think you have messed with the screen resolution and went for a setting which your monitor cannot handle. If you can get another monitor, you can change the settings, but if you can't I think you will have to go for a reinstallation of your OS.
However you didn't give any information regarding your monitor.. Make.. Size etc. It would have helped.

Hold on ...
It could be a motherboard Problem ..
OR - Did u try switching the RAM from it's slot recently?

You could try to reset the RTC (Real Time Clock - for BIOS) and try ..

Steps to do it :
1. Take out the motherboard battery.
2. Reset the RTC (jumper settings from Normal to Clear RTC)
3. Let be for 10 mins...
4. Reset the RTC jumper back to normal.
5. Put back the motherboard battery in.

Now try starting up the comp.
Might work ... Give it a try ;)

greenhorn said:
try swapping RAM/ monitors

Just tried that.. no luck....

=CrAzYG33K= said:
Hold on ...

It could be a motherboard Problem ..

OR - Did u try switching the RAM from it's slot recently?

You could try to reset the RTC (Real Time Clock - for BIOS) and try ..

Steps to do it :

1. Take out the motherboard battery.

2. Reset the RTC (jumper settings from Normal to Clear RTC)

3. Let be for 10 mins...

4. Reset the RTC jumper back to normal.

5. Put back the motherboard battery in.

Now try starting up the comp.

Might work ... Give it a try ;)

Gave it a try.. no luck there either....

I guess it is some major problem with the motherboard. :huh:

Sounds like this is intermittent, so my guess is that this could be a power supply problem. If you can get access to another power supply to try out, that would help narrow it down a bit.

Back