Storage Solutions PC turns on after external powered drive is switched off at the board

Hi guys,
Recently I bought a 10 TB Seagate Backup Plus on TE which is my first 3.5" powered external hard drive. All my other 4-5 portables are of the 2.5" variety.

PFB the sale thread.
https://techenclave.com/community/t...anty-rs-15300-mrp-21-000.191271/#post-2192458

Now immediately after getting the drive I checked it with Hard Disk Sentinel and it looks fine from a hardware level.

1581020770335.png

But I am facing a strange issue with the sequence of events as follows-

1) Hard drive is connected to Intel based Windows PC which is running and I am mirroring my local 8 TB to this external drive using Beyond Compare.
2)After mirroring is done I am shutting down the PC wthout removing the drive's USB cable connection or wall power adapter.
3)Once the PC is shut down I am switching off the hard drive's wall adapter. Immediately after switching off the wall adapter the PC boots by itself. :O

Am I missing some BIOS level config?

Are you unmounting/ ejecting the drive properly from Windows? Maybe it's going into deep sleep state and sending some wake signal to the pc and your bios has some usb setting to wake up from deep sleep.

Are you unmounting/ ejecting the drive properly from Windows? Maybe it's going into deep sleep state and sending some wake signal to the pc and your bios has some usb setting to wake up from deep sleep.
I am not unmounting the drive but shutting down the PC.

I also thought the same regarding wake on USB setting but didn't check in BIOS as this PC is a headless one and I will have to connect KB/mouse and monitor to check UEFI tomorrow.

I did a quick search for Wake On USB in Windows power settings but didn't get the time to do a deep dive.

3)Once the PC is shut down I am switching off the hard drive's wall adapter. Immediately after switching off the wall adapter the PC boots by itself. :O

Am I missing some BIOS level config?
When you shutdown the pc why dont you turn off the switch on the mains board switch off the wall? Whats the logic keeping it on?
Seems something is wrong in the wall socket where the adapter is plugged.

have you tried turning off he hard drives power adaptor when the pc is on? whats the observation?

When you shutdown the pc why dont you turn off the switch on the mains board switch off the wall? Whats the logic keeping it on?
Seems something is wrong in the wall socket where the adapter is plugged.

have you tried turning off he hard drives power adaptor when the pc is on? whats the observation?
My setup is a bit weird.

The UPS is connected to the mains board below the desk and theres a 6 port surge protector connected to the UPS. Both my PCs as well the router are hooked up to that surge protector. In the second picture you can see a Pi connected to the UPS as well.

Behind the monitor I have another mains board and I am connecting the hard drive's power adapter there as its a hassle to connect it to the surge protector.

The hard drive is being connected to the mini-ITX rig on the left and the mains board behind the monitor is easy to reach after swinging the monitor arm.

I keep the router and Pi switched on throughout the night sometimes for large downloads which means I cannot shut down the entire setup but I can switch off the portable HDD and the mini-ITX PC.

Yesterday night I noticed a strange thing. After the mini-ITX rig was switched off the connected hard drive was still spinning. I disconnected the USB cable and then it spun down. After that I proceeded to switch off the HDD adapter and the PC didn't reboot. :)

Something is f**ked up with my BIOS USB settings for sure. Knowing its an AsRock board its entirely plausible.

Too clumsy complex setup.
Anyways in Bios lookout for these settings which say usb wakeup or ASMedia USB 3.0 Battery Charging Support or something on these grounds. Try playing with them.

Refer the below links for your hdd device:

Back