PC Upgrade suggestions

aditya_s017

Disciple
Hi guys, am planning to upgrade my 3.5 years old pc so that it can play all the latest game at hd resolution fer the next 2 years at least, n also use it as tv set via tv tuner card n set top box. N wud also like an option to add a console like x-box or ps3 to my pc later on if i feel like it, possible on a monitor? I may also replace the monitor with a 25-40" tv set within a year or so to save space in my room.
  1. Q: What is your budget?
    1. 20-25-30k
    2. Would like to save as much as possible.
  2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    1. CPU - [font=Georgia,]Core2Duo E-8400 3 GHz[/font]
    2. Motherboard - [font=Georgia,]Biostar P43-A7[/font]
    3. GPU - ATI [font=Georgia,]Radeon HD 4850[/font]
    4. RAM - [font=Georgia,]Kingston 2GB DDR2[/font]
    5. Monitor - LG 222WS
    6. SMPS - [font=Georgia,]Corsair VX 450Watt[/font]
    7. HDD - 2x500GB Seagate (don't remember brand) and 1X1TB WD
  3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    1. Monitor - LG 222WS
    2. SMPS - [font=Georgia,]Corsair VX 450Watt (if it can do the job)[/font]
    3. HDD - 2x500GB Seagate (don't remember brand) and 1X1TB WD
  4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    1. CPU -
    2. Motherboard -
    3. GPU - [font=Georgia,]Zotac GTX 550Ti (open to suggestions, p[/font]referably Nvidea, needs physics support, i thing ATI cards don't have those?)
    4. RAM - [font=Georgia,]Corsair 4 GB DDR3 ([/font][font=Georgia,](open to suggestions[/font])
  5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    1. May change monitor withing a year fer higer res support, something like 2500x1600 or something. Or I may also replace the monitor with a 25-40" tv set within a year or so to save space in my room.
    2. No other upgrades for at least 2 years.
  6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    1. Kolkata
  7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    1. No
  8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    1. Gaming
    2. Browsing
    3. Desktop Processing (converting vids to different formats)
    4. HTPC ?
    5. Download rig, 24x7 operation
    6. Watching HD movies
    7. Tv (Tv Tuner card already attached to current pc)
  9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    1. No preference but after sales service in India is pretty important since sometimes, rain n lightning messes up my mobo.
    2. A[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]n amateur in this regard. Your inputs will be highly appreciated.[/font]
  10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    1. Action - Max Payne 3, GTA5, Bioshock Infinite, Assassin's Creed III, TES V: Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, War shooters like Battlefield n CoD games, etc.
    2. Racing
    3. Whatever else.
  11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1680x1050 (this is my monitor's max res. support)
    2. Desktop - 1680x1050
    3. [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I would like to know if i have options to view Full HD content in my budget[/font]
  12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    1. Don't know how to do it. Never tried my hands at it. But if it is doable while following a set of instructions, i might think. Please suggest.
  13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    1. Windows 7 32 or 64 bit
  14. DVI-VGA? Can anybody explain these? I think i use an image convertor right now fer my monitor vga-to-dvi, not sure? What are these n which ones the best? I think my monitor doesn't have a DVI port.

Thnx

Go for this configuration Sire --

Intel Core i5 2320 ~9500/-

Intel DH67-BL ~5400/-

G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x2 ~3400/-

nVidia GTX 560 [non-Ti] ~10500/-

Seasonic S12II 520W ~3700/- OR Corsair VX 550W ~4500/- [the VX 450W is a reliable SMPS but the amount of load the new graphics card and the score of hard-drives will place on the system will be stretching it real thin]

An over-clocking RIG will force you to spend atleast ~35000/- considering the added costs of a -k marked processor + Z68 chipset + third party CPU cooler.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

Go for this configuration Sire -- Intel Core i5 2320 ~9500/- Intel DH67-BL ~5400/- G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x2 ~3400/- nVidia GTX 560 [non-Ti] ~10500/- Seasonic S12II 520W ~3700/- OR Corsair VX 550W ~4500/- [the VX 450W is a reliable SMPS but the amount of load the new graphics card and the score of hard-drives will place on the system will be stretching it real thin] An over-clocking RIG will force you to spend atleast ~35000/- considering the added costs of a -k marked processor + Z68 chipset + third party CPU cooler. Hope this helps, Cheers!!

Too expensive man, where can save some money on this?

And is a new SMPS absolutely necessary?

And why do i need 8GB of RAM? Isn't 4 GB enough fer now? Also, am using 32-Bit Windows 7, do these even use more than 3.5 GB of RAM?

Sapphire HD6870

Don't feel like going for ATI cards this time round, no physics + we end up having to download an update fer evry new game out there
<
Nvidea cards seem to have problems fewer games out there.

Thnx fer your time btw:)

The above config is withing your budget you can go for 2x2gb-1.5k ram,also there are no issues with ati gpu's,you will have take vdriver updates with nvidia also so you can go with ati as hd6870 performance is better also there aren't many games with physx.Smps is absolutely necessary it's the important part of the rig.VX450 won't suffice so sell that in te market and get the above suggested one.
Too expensive man, where can save some money on this?

And why do i need 8GB of RAM? Isn't 4 GB enough fer now? Also, am using 32-Bit Windows 7, do these even use more than 3.5 GB of RAM?

[/b]

Don't feel like going for ATI cards this time round, no physics + we end up having to download an update fer evry new game out there
sad.gif
Nvidea cards seem to have problems fewer games out there.

Thnx fer your time btw:)

Okay but I am assuming at some point in time you will jump on the x64-bit bandwagon, till then get one stick of G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB ~1600/-.

Yes, you have four hard drives now you want to add a graphics card of the AMD HD 6870 class OR above, your SMPS will be stretched to its bones and the power draw of the drives at a boot process might be enough to kill your PC.

Sell the VX 450W on the TE market, depending on its age you can get ~2000/- --> 2500/- on it which I feel is excellent.

Don't feel like going for ATI cards this time round, no physics + we end up having to download an update fer evry new game out there. nVidia cards seem to have problems fewer games out there.

Honestly AMD cards are no longer as bad as they are painted to be, also as Jakob has already pointed out not many games use PHYsX for the count.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

Hey, am back, decided to hold off buying till now, i might go today or tomorrow, m sick of playing solitaire n chess :(

Anyways, can anyone tell me what's the latest updates on prices n hardware?

I don't feel like getting some of the above suggestion, here's what i have in mind:

CPU -

Intel Core I5 2400
Intel Core I5 2500K
Intel Core I5 3550

GPU -

AMD HD 7850
MSI Nvidea N560 GTX-Ti M2D1GD5/OC 1 GB GDDR5
or something cheaper maybe, like a non-Ti GTX 560?

MOBO -

Intel DH67-BL
- Will this be enough fer say MSI GTX 560-Ti 1 GB + Intel I-5 2500K?
- N does this have sli support jst in case (in the future)...m guessing not.
- Supports 1600 Mhz RAM cards (If not, shudn't i be getting a mobo tht supports 1600 Mhz since my Ram cards r gonna be 1600 Mhz?)

RAM -

G-Skill Rip Jaws 1X4GB (fer nw) or
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1X4 GB.

PSU -

Since u guys told me tht my current 450W sn't gonna be enough (?), m planning to get
Seasonic S12 II 520W or
Corsair VX 550W or 600W

Ideally, i don't wanna spend over 30k, bt luking at the abpve preference, i think it's gonna be close to 40k?

What shud i chose to keep it under 35k at least? Don't wanna change fer at least 2-3 years, n don't wanna game below 1680x1050 fer d duration.

Am keeping my lg 22" monitor (no hdmi support), 3 HDDs - 2x500GB n 1x 1TB, n the UPS 600 VA.

Thnx fer d help.

Back