Graphic Cards PC won't boot with the GPU plugged in

Glad that you got something to test and that the gpu seems at fault here per your tests and observations.
Was it a recent bios update or something which is resulting in Ram leds to turn on without even powering on the system?

In your case I highly suspect that after a bios reset or auto-bios reset due to the failure, the stock factory settings might have kicked in resulting in the ram leds to turn on idling. Google for more or better ask this specific behavior on reddit or someone here who owns Aorus with keen interest in rgb stuff (like me)

This behavior is common in fact normal on Asus rog mobos. I own one and the moment I just turn on the mains the mobo leds/ logo etc. all light up though in bios there's an option to toggle such feature (3-4 options to chose from)

So if thats the case then your mobo seems perfectly fine here. But again its under warranty so you can get it rmaed if somethings wrong.

You got the multimeter so you can google for certain mobo chip level bus tests which might give you better insights as to whats kicking in ram leds. But I would highly press you to dig inside bios as my 7th sense says some setting might be toggling them on..
Yes, Gigabyte also has this feature available in the Windows RGB Fusion App and the Bios. However, why that's happening is the least of my issues, this has happed in the past too when i've had the PC shut down due to a bad extension cable. The PC would should down and the RGB would stay on.

I found an identical issue on Reddit, have replied there but have not heard back from the OP.

Your above reddit screens are not RGB but actually Ram debug LEDs which is not related to me as when my GPU is installed i do not get ANY debug LEDS.

I have been looking at at YT and it seems shorts on the 1080Ti appear to be common, this prevents PC startup, so as much i was hoping it was not the GPU, I believe it is :(

it shows 100% continuity

The bad news is that the GPU is dead. Since the PC booted with the GT710, everything else should be fine. Something in the GPU has died and created a short circuit, which would explain the power supply issue and possibly, the shunting of power to the motherboard through the GPU causing the RGB to light up.

The good news is that it's not difficult to repair but some more bad news is that it could also mean the graphics processor has died and is unrepairable.

Ideally, you would want to spray the board with rubbing alcohol and send in 1v at 3A or so with a programmable power supply. This low voltage will protect the graphics processor but the high amperage would cause the failed component to heat up and you can visualise this by seeing where the alcohol evaporates quickly. In most cases, it's a surface mount capacitor which is very easy to replace. In other cases, it's a mosfet which means you'll have to find a replacement. But it could also mean the protection circuit of the graphics card failed and sent in 12v directly to the graphics processor and that cannot be repaired.

I'm pretty sure it's a mosfet. 12V rail short is most certainly either that or it could also be that + the GPU die is fried (if this then RIP, nothing can be done). As suggested by @rsaeon that method works well to detect cause of short but finding replacement component could be difficult.

The bad news is that the GPU is dead. Since the PC booted with the GT710, everything else should be fine. Something in the GPU has died and created a short circuit, which would explain the power supply issue and possibly, the shunting of power to the motherboard through the GPU causing the RGB to light up.

The good news is that it's not difficult to repair but some more bad news is that it could also mean the graphics processor has died and is unrepairable.

Ideally, you would want to spray the board with rubbing alcohol and send in 1v at 3A or so with a programmable power supply. This low voltage will protect the graphics processor but the high amperage would cause the failed component to heat up and you can visualise this by seeing where the alcohol evaporates quickly. In most cases, it's a surface mount capacitor which is very easy to replace. In other cases, it's a mosfet which means you'll have to find a replacement. But it could also mean the protection circuit of the graphics card failed and sent in 12v directly to the graphics processor and that cannot be repaired.
Hey thanks for your reply, i watched a video a few mins ago that said exactly what you said. My soldering skills do not permit me to do mosfet level desoldering/resoldering, nor do i have the precisions soldering kit for that. I do not have a programable power supply either. Anyone you can recommend trustworthy enough to do it and not F it up further or steal parts?
Can you elaborate more on this. Was you using power cable extension?
I was using an old Lian-Li strimer v1 that has an extension cable. I used HWINFO and noticed the 3.3v rail was dropping to 2.9/3v the minute i removed the cable the 3.3v reading showed 3.3 (even under load) and the BSODs/ Power downs were gone.
I'm pretty sure it's a mosfet. 12V rail short is most certainly either that or it could also be that + the GPU die is fried (if this then RIP, nothing can be done). As suggested by @rsaeon that method works well to detect cause of short but finding replacement component could be difficult.
yea 90% it is a mosfet.

I was using an old Lian-Li strimer v1 that has an extension cable. I used HWINFO and noticed the 3.3v rail was dropping to 2.9/3v the minute i removed the cable the 3.3v reading showed 3.3 (even under load) and the BSODs/ Power downs were gone.
If thats the case the extension might had damaged it in the long run as it takes time to slowly kill!

Just dismantled the card. Do not see any visible burns or damage with any of the mosfets or anything. Tried cleaning it with some IPA to no avail.

Update on the issue? Similar thing happened with me yesterday. But i don't think repairing will be worthwhile.
Gave it to 2 shops, neither could fix the issue. Was forced to buy a new card. In India, It's not the question of worthwhile, it's the question of lack spares (partially due to AliExpress stopping delivery to India) and/or knowledge to fix these things.

Gave it to 2 shops, neither could fix the issue. Was forced to buy a new card. In India, It's not the question of worthwhile, it's the question of lack spares (partially due to AliExpress stopping delivery to India) and/or knowledge to fix these things.
What reasons they gave you? could a faulty PSU can cause it or heat, My Pc is well ventilated.

What reasons they gave you? could a faulty PSU can cause it or heat, My Pc is well ventilated.
I already established there was a short on the 12v rail before even giving it to the repair guys. They had to replace MOSFETs et all. They could not identify the source of the short, even if they did, unlikely they'd have a replacement MOSFET

I already established there was a short on the 12v rail before even giving it to the repair guys. They had to replace MOSFETs et all. They could not identify the source of the short, even if they did, unlikely they'd have a replacement MOSFET
Unlike mobos, gpus are very complex to repair.
Here's stuff from easy to complex in order of repairability..
  • Speakers
  • Mouse
  • Keyboard
  • Monitor
  • PSU
  • Mobo
  • Addon-cards
  • GPU
  • RAM
  • Storage (depends if its circuit based or header/plater)

Last edited:
Unlike mobos gpus are very complex to repair.
Here's stuff from easy to complex in order or repairability..
  • Speakers
  • Mouse
  • Keyboard
  • Monitor
  • PSU
  • Mobo
  • Addon-cards
  • GPU
  • RAM
  • Storage (depends if its circuit based or header/plater)
Can a psu short a GPU? my PSU is less than a year old ASUS 850w thinking about replacing it.

Can you explain the exact issue you are facing?
Gpu is not letting the pc start. tried with alternate PSU same result. Psu makes a clicking sound and refuse to start. Remove the GPU and everything is fine, using old gpu back up card to test the system working fine with it.

Didn't get any burnt smell no spark nothing. just played games 2 for two hours before this happened.

Gpu is not letting the pc start. tried with alternate PSU same result. Psu makes a clicking sound and refuse to start. Remove the GPU and everything is fine, using old gpu back up card to test the system working fine with it.

Didn't get any burnt smell no spark nothing. just played games 2 for two hours before this happened.
Don't buy a new PSU then. PSU's have a short prevention protection which is kicking in and preventing PC bootup.

Back