Graphic Cards PCIe 1.1 & 2.0 conflict

mpic

Disciple
I have Intel DG35EC motherboard & Galaxy GF9400gt 1gb 128bit gpu.
Both worked fine together. Now the i cant get any display on boot.
I got checked Gpu at TAG, its working perfect.
Intel persons r telling that its due to mobo supports pcie1.1 & gpu is pcie 2.0
Can any body help???

PCIe 2.0 motherboard slots are fully backward compatible with PCIe v1.x cards. PCIe 2.0 cards are also generally backward compatible with PCIe 1.x motherboards, using the available bandwidth of PCI Express 1.1. Overall, graphic cards or motherboards designed for v 2.0 will be able to work with the other being v 1.1 or v 1.0.

*from wikipedia

Could you tell your full system configuration. With OS.

PCIe 2.0 cards are backward compatible to PCIe 1.1/1.0 so this can't be the prob for sure. I think u shud borrow n try some other G-card on ur motherboard. If the prob repeats then try to update the bios of ur motherboard. If even after updating the bios it doesn't work then get ur motherboard replaced if its in warranty. :)

Mobo - Dg35ec intel
Processor - Core2Duo E7200
Dynet 2 Gb ram 667mhz.
Seagate 250gb sata hdd + Samsung 80gb ide hdd
Galaxy 9400gt 1gb 128 bit
Zebronics 400watts psu
LG DVD RW GSA H55N
Creative Inspire M5300 5.1 sound system
Os- Win7 64 bit.

@ rahul
I tried updated bios settings to no results.
Will check with another card tomorrow

dude, there will not be any conflict.
I was also under the same impression when I started getting problems with my card. But it turned out to be a problem with the card. Not just me, many other people are using PCIe 2.0 card with PCIe 1.0a/1.1 boards.

Yes even i know, but the guy on intel live chat told me that this conflict is the issue that is causing problems.
In my case graphics card is not at fault as i already got it checked 4m service centre yesterday.

Which psu?

That board uses onboard graphic if I am not mistaken? Did you check the onboard gpu setting on the bios? Is it on auto, on or off? Check your motherboard's manual (or check on intel's website to get an online manual for your mobo if you happen to loose it) and check how to go to that option. Switch off the onboard gpu, shut down and power off the system, connect the card and the relevant, boot up and see if it works this way.

Im running a 5770 on PCI-E 1.1 slot.

Intel DG41TY.

Try someone else's Graphic card on ur mobo.

It seems that ur mobo isn't liking ur vid. card,it is rare but it happens.It happens even on 2.0 slots.

mpic said:
Can any body help???

1st of all your motherboard has a pcie 2.0 slot only. I dont know why these crappy intel guys are misleading you. Gone are the days of pcie 1.1. IMO all the DG series of intel boards must be 2.0 only. refer this link which shows the complete feature of your motherboard. Look for PCIE x16 in the below link

Intel® Desktop Board DG35EC

@aj_killer: your board is also pcie 2.0 only. Here you go

Intel® Desktop Board DG41TY

@Anfjavid:

Am confused now. Your links make sense, but when I go to the G35 chipset at this link, which the DG35EC employs, it states PCI Express 1.1.

The Sorcerer said:
Which psu?

That board uses onboard graphic if I am not mistaken? Did you check the onboard gpu setting on the bios? Is it on auto, on or off? Check your motherboard's manual (or check on intel's website to get an online manual for your mobo if you happen to loose it) and check how to go to that option. Switch off the onboard gpu, shut down and power off the system, connect the card and the relevant, boot up and see if it works this way.

^+1 to above suggestion. Remove ur card and check the video source selected in bios. if its PCI or onboard is selected by default then change it to PCIe 1.1/2.0 (watever). and then try again inserting ur G-card. hope this may work... :cool2:

@anfjavid
i got confused now my mobo manual doesnt mention about pcie version.
On intel site i foud it 2 have 1.1. n now ur proof is also seems to be valid.

@The Sorcerer
PSU Zebronics ZEB 400 watts Plus
I played with bios settings for whole day
even updated bios to recent one.
Bios set to choose auto settings
Even if i select PCIe settings the video is routed through VGA port of motherboard.

@ rahul
There is no such option to select between pcie 1.1 / 2.0
I removed n pluged atleast 15-20 times

mpic said:
@anfjavid
i got confused now my mobo manual doesnt mention about pcie version.
On intel site i foud it 2 have 1.1. n now ur proof is also seems to be valid.

@The Sorcerer
PSU Zebronics ZEB 400 watts Plus
I played with bios settings for whole day
even updated bios to recent one.
Bios set to choose auto settings
Even if i select PCIe settings the video is routed through VGA port of motherboard.

@ rahul
There is no such option to select between pcie 1.1 / 2.0
I removed n pluged atleast 15-20 times
arey thats the catch! i don't mean that select b/w PCIe 1.1 or 2.0 I meant that watever option is given there choose PCIe x16 among them.

If u'll select PCIe or Onboard then the Video output will be thru onboard VGA, so in place of that u need to select PCIe x16 among the options. gud luck!

I selected PEG (PCIe Graphics) to no result.
I'll try with another gpu tommorrow n post reply.
Thanks 4 ur support n suggestions.

rahulgoel said:
arey thats the catch! i don't mean that select b/w PCIe 1.1 or 2.0 I meant that watever option is given there choose PCIe x16 among them.

If u'll select PCIe or Onboard then the Video output will be thru onboard VGA, so in place of that u need to select PCIe x16 among the options. gud luck!

Hey man, in all the intel / nvidia motherboards there is an option for primary display. Even if you select onboard vga and you have a pci-e card installed, the motherboard will output display to pci-e card only and not the onboard. You can only use the onboard when the pci-e card is not installed.

Unless the motherboard supports concurrent multiple displays, this option is useless.

For example most of the nvidia chipset motherboards have the ability to output onboard video and pci-e video concurrently. In these motherboards this option is useful.

So unless your motherboard supports this feature, even if you set the primary video as onboard or pcie its not going to make any difference.

So if pci-e card is there , then that is the display out. If its not there, then onboard video is the display out..

Your issue is not in anyway related to this. Some incompatibility or issue exists either with the card or your mobo.

Hope you understood.

asingh said:
@Anfjavid:
Am confused now. Your links make sense, but when I go to the G35 chipset at this link, which the DG35EC employs, it states PCI Express 1.1.

Hey man dont get consfused by this 1.1. This is revision. This 1.1 is nothing but electromechanical version. This should not be confused with interface version. We are concerned about interface version only.

The site which you gave states pcie 1.1 8GB/s, right ?. Go to this link and see what 8GB/s states. If the transfer speed is 8GB/s, then its pcie 2.0 only.

see under capacity > 16 lane slot in the right side of this page

PCI Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope now its clear...

mpic said:
Can any body help???

hey man, download gpu-z from techpowerup.com. It will clearly state the version of pci-e interface you have in your mobo . Your confusions will be cleared...

anfjavid said:
Hey man dont get consfused by this 1.1. This is revision. This 1.1 is nothing but electromechanical version. This should not be confused with interface version. We are concerned about interface version only.

The site which you gave states pcie 1.1 8GB/s, right ?. Go to this link and see what 8GB/s states. If the transfer speed is 8GB/s, then its pcie 2.0 only.

see under capacity > 16 lane slot in the right side of this page

PCI Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope now its clear...

Makes sense. thanks.

Even another gpu is not working on my mobo.
So , i'll try to get RMA done from Intel.
'll contact intel guy tommorrow

mate, this board has the latest revision as well. So in this board, both the revision as well as version are 2.0 only. Then for the OP's board its stated as PCIE 1.1 8GB/s.

If you go to the wikipedia link, its states that PCIE 2.0 is 8 GB/s. What do you say about this...

Moreover you dint notice that its stated as PCIe x16 Gen 2.x for both the boards, where one board (DG35EC) has revision 1.1 and the other board (DG43NB) has revision 2.0.

In simple terms the PCIE gen 2.x or version 2.0 is common for both the revisions (1.1 and 2.0)

Hope its clear now...

Back