Peeps using PayTM, where are you planning on migrating to?

they will partner with 3rd party banks before 29th , they have a uphill task to replace all the qr codes of merchants that are powered by paytm payments bank.

Does anyone know the specifics of what rules PayTM Payments Bank broke? I used PayTM wallet, and I'm wondering what nefarious things they were up to. All I have read so far is something vague like "did not comply with RBI rules", but which rules, exactly?

Unfortunately the only process you can migrate is to close the PayTM Fastag, peel off the sticker (bigger PITA), get a new one from somewhere else, and paste that.
I am waiting to see if they can continue it and will decide towards the end the month.
Likewise.

Even I am waiting till the end of the month and see what is done since my FastTag also PayTM. I have a lot of balance in it, as well. I guess that will still be usable.
Does anyone know the specifics of what rules PayTM Payments Bank broke? I used PayTM wallet, and I'm wondering what nefarious things they were up to. All I have read so far is something vague like "did not comply with RBI rules", but which rules, exactly?
From what I know, KYC for new customers was not done properly. Multiple accounts (more than 1K) were linked to one PAN, and information was being sent to servers outside of India.

That hasn't been disclosed as far as I know, but some are speculating there's a lax in KYC where a single pan card was used to open a few hundred accounts and others are saying RBI insisted on different apps for banking vs upi/wallet.

Could be just a power play with the current government demanding fealty before the elections — otherwise the CEO wouldn't have been granted an audience with the FM.

The way that meeting went could be interpreted along the lines of “not enough, come back with more" with regards to concessions/appeasement/other-non-incriminating-terms-for-moolah.

I guess we'll only know for sure on March 1st.

Last edited:
I haven't yet bought any fast tag yet and have heard paytm was the most hassle-free one having almost nil failure rates compared to banks which go haywire during long weekends giving banks server busy issues on toll booths!
So whats the next best one to go for?
The next best is Amazon Fasttag. However, as I mentioned, will wait for a week or so to decide further.

There is not change for Paytm UPI and fastag. Will continue to use it.

Edit: Just saw that paytm fastag wont work. Damn it.

Last edited:
i was using paytm bank account for all the small upi transactions related groceries, local shops... usually have max of 10K balance in that. also paytm fastag. Now moving to ICICI fastag, in fact i already have that too, got it for HP Pay. Have one old Kotak 811 bank account, got couple years before when there was free screen insurance offer for oneplus phone. Now moved to that for all the local shop related transactions.

I have a question if someone has the answer.
What will happen to the Paytm machine that takes cards & shit. Bought it for 12k 2 years ago with lifetime free. Linked bank account is definitely different than paytm banks, but the settlement is done the next day of payment. So, will it work?

regardless, it wont be ideal to continue using paytm.
its sad, paytm gone his way and second best phonePe is just became an ad-wall and selling beting app.

any UPI app which is plain and simple UPI, like just scan code and pay money only type ?

"In the RBI, individuals responsible for making decisions and handling calls are typically around 60 years old. They have experience managing a system of banks. However, there seems to be a lack of trust in a 40-year-old individual, especially if they are considered a Maverick, to run a core system," he said.

With this kind of attitude and the kind of errors they did (heard that, people were using one PAN card linked to multiple accounts to subscribe to IPOs, manipulating, etc.), they will be on tenterhooks with RBI /govt. leadership. Also, tooting startup horn too much, international credibility, etc., govt. should keep these kind of hardball players tough on their own game than yielding to threaten-begging for benefit of people.

Better to have multiple options similar to paytm, only if BHIM could become more better in dealing with.

"In the RBI, individuals responsible for making decisions and handling calls are typically around 60 years old. They have experience managing a system of banks. However, there seems to be a lack of trust in a 40-year-old individual, especially if they are considered a Maverick, to run a core system," he said.

With this kind of attitude and the kind of errors they did (heard that, people were using one PAN card linked to multiple accounts to subscribe to IPOs, manipulating, etc.), they will be on tenterhooks with RBI /govt. leadership. Also, tooting startup horn too much, international credibility, etc., govt. should keep these kind of hardball players tough on their own game than yielding to threaten-begging for benefit of people.

Better to have multiple options similar to paytm, only if BHIM could become more better in dealing with.
I am not taking him seriously. He can have his own perpective, but RBI is one of the best and well managed Central Banks across the world.
There are many things which he might not be aware about the lapses and I dont think that RBI would have done this, without knowing the far reaching implications !!!

There are voices against the whole UPI marked is skewed in favour of foreign players and there are concerns for the same.

Back