pendrive infected by shortcut virus

girish925

Adept
help need regarding a virus issue

when i click on the pendrive in

mycomputer >pendrive> shortcut to the pendrive > contents open in new window

unable to read this pendrive in my car music system

any way to get rid of this virus ? anyone else facing this ?

use malware bytes but no solution :(

let pictures do the talking

ps : sorry mods if this is in the wrong section

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 183
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 168
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 179
I had a similar virus. It converted all the actual folders into some special hidden folders and replaced them with shortcuts (obviously with the virus getting executed along with the shortcut). The shortcuts would be detected by anti-virus and deleted, but the original folders still remained 'super hidden'. I got rid of the problem by downloading Microsoft security essentials. Nothing else, including Norton, AVG or even following the steps from forums manually worked.
You get security essentials for free if you have a legal copy of Windows.

I will recommend u to use avira antivirus... I am using it from 13 years for now... light weight.,easiest installation, minimal update ...Activate expert mode and simply scan...

i have security essentials on my pc .. doesnt detect this virus :(

also cosi-search has hijacked chrome browser.. default page whn i open chome is cosi-search.com :(

i have security essentials on my pc .. doesnt detect this virus :(

also cosi-search has hijacked chrome browser.. default page whn i open chome is cosi-search.com :(

You can download 100 mb file na... download Avira free version and try it... u won't regret it...
Change homepage to Google from chrome options and uninstall any search bar or toolbar from control panel > add and remove programs....

For all those who experienced folders turning to shortcuts you can try to this to recover files.

Click on "Start" -->Run --> type cmd and click on OK.

Here I assume your External hard drive as G:

Enter this command.

attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*

You can copy the above command --> Right-click in the Command Prompt and

paste it.

Note : Replace the letter g with your External hard drive letter.

Now check for your files in External Drive.

@girish925 - Do you intend to retain the data? Try what @benryu stated if that doesn't work try using Ubuntu Live Cd to boot into Ubuntu. Hidden files should now be visible. Back up the needed files and check them for infections. Format the pen drive in Ubuntu. That should fix the problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very true. I found this mostly on office laptops. Just do what i have mentioned above, take backup and then run AV scan. Should solve the problem.

Back