Personal Experience with Apple Customer Service

^^ Who says

I had a minor charging related issue with a macbook that was bought in the US ... When I gave it to Apple India, they said they'll replace the logic board on the same day.. I asked em for the possibility of a replacement since it was >14 days old.. and they went ahead and did that even though they had no obligation to..
The full story is actually quite interesting but would be too tedious to type it out for an incident that happened like 2.5 yrs ago

Regardless of location, Apple has excellent customer service. I believe they are trying to emulate uniform customer service across the world. That is why Apple is Apple. That does not mean it is perfect. There are some random incidents where their service is bad. But overall, it is better than others like Samsung, HTC or Sony.

superczar said:
The full story is actually quite interesting but would be too tedious to type it out for an incident that happened like 2.5 yrs ago

Let me do that for you. :p

superczar said:
It will take them 2 weeks to ship me the replacement from Singapore
Anyway, I am more than impressed with Apple's warranty support

Thing is things in India tend to be different than what posting on the web (mostly US centric) would lead you to believe
If you look around the net, most people diss Dell's support while praising Apple (which is very true for US)

In India though, Dell' warranty shines though with the onsite support and professional attitude

When I noticed this glitch on my system, I was worried that Apple India support will turn out to be screwed up
I was more than pleasantly surprised to find out that's not the case.

In fact, their L1 support team is better than Dell's since the reps are (seemingly) not mandated to read out from scripts (like Dell) and are empowered to take decisions on the spot.

Anyway, seeing the quality of their support network, I got an extended 3 year warranty package on the machine

(Lack of onsite support - unlike Dell is a bummer though)

http://www.techenclave.com/show-off/another-brick-in-the-wall-122408-3.html#post966811

superczar said:
^^ Who says

I had a minor charging related issue with a macbook that was bought in the US ... When I gave it to Apple India, they said they'll replace the logic board on the same day.. I asked em for the possibility of a replacement since it was >14 days old.. and they went ahead and did that even though they had no obligation to..

It was around that time that I was about to buy your Macbook! Btw, long time sir! Welcome back!

I have had great experiences with Apple India Support (Apple & Redington both)

1. iPod Touch 3G - nearing the warranty expiration, I went to iStore Ludhiana and told em bout battery issues (actually there were no such issues). NQA, they gave me a receipt and a week later, i got a sparkling brand new iPod Touch which had no scratches and was wrapped in with the plastic that usually comes on new devices. seemed like the factory packing.

2. iPhone 3G - Airtel locked - I got it replaced thrice! Yes thrice! via redington
First time, bubbles inside the screen
IInd Time, no apparent reason, only there were scratches NQA and I was in a mood to get a new iPhone :D
IIIrd Time, warranty was going to expire next week so just to have a new phone, I got it replaced. Again NQA!

3. iPad 64GB 3G - my uncle (chacha) bought it from US, a few months later, wifi stops working. He emailed Apple (US) and they directed him towards Apple service centre in Chandigarh. A week later, he has a brand new iPad!

4. iPhone 4 - Bought it on saturday, fried the charger on Sunday and got it replaced on Monday, NQA!

Since all the replacements are done in bangalore and I stay in Punjab, it taked atleast 5 working days for the whole process to complete.

So far, I'm much more than happy with Apple India...!

P.S - Redington has specifically mentioned in their service centres that iPhones bought from foreign are not accepted and repaired here (even at a cost). iPads and iPods are since they carry global warranty.

spawnfreak said:

1. iPod Touch 3G - (actually there were no such issues).

2. iPhone 3G -
IInd Time, no apparent reason, only there were scratches NQA and I was in a mood to get a new iPhone :D
IIIrd Time, warranty was going to expire next week so just to have a new phone, I got it replaced. Again NQA!

How pathetic! There are folks like you around who misuse the warranty system as well. And some others who cannot claim the warranty for genuine reasons like the member in this thread - http://www.techenclave.com/laptops/apple-care-protection-plan-apple-just-197216.html

:(

My sister had gotten a Mac Book Pro from Singapore, and after a month spilled delicious coffee on it. They did the ritual to hold it upside down and power it off.

It was taken to the service center and my brother-in-law and sister gave them the truth upfront. Now, the people said that there are some sensors / color changing dye enabled patches, which activate if liquid is encountered. Not sure if this is true, but they were happy that we did not lie about the liquid spill. They kept the device for 10-12 days, and did some paper work and phone calls. End of the day, they changed the keyboard and some unit parts inside for free. I was impressed. Device works fine ever since, coffee is kept on the table...!

@Spawnfreak, be careful. You are misusing the system.

spawnfreak said:

1. iPod Touch 3G - nearing the warranty expiration, I went to iStore Ludhiana and told em bout battery issues (actually there were no such issues). NQA, they gave me a receipt and a week later, i got a sparkling brand new iPod Touch which had no scratches and was wrapped in with the plastic that usually comes on new devices. seemed like the factory packing.

2. iPhone 3G - Airtel locked - I got it replaced thrice! Yes thrice! via redington

First time, bubbles inside the screen

Thanks to folks like you who screw up the system :|.

spawnfreak said:

1. iPod Touch 3G [/B]- nearing the warranty expiration, I went to iStore Ludhiana and told em bout battery issues (actually there were no such issues)

Great, India needs more people like you.

My question is how did apple give him a new Ipod 3G. He said it was nearing warranty expiration, so I assume it must be 11 months old. I have never heard of Apple giving a new one after that long. They can give a refurbished one or repair it. Regardless of US or India. Also I am wondering how can Apple India be that kind after 11 months.

Returning just to replace the old one with the new one is absolutely not fair. When we buy the product, we are responsible for scratches or other nicks/dings. Only when we have genuine problems that we should get it replaced.

In my case of swapping 3Gs for Iphone 4 was within legal guidelines. Apple was indeed letting the customers swap because of confusion in announcement of release dates of Iphone 4 last year. But this is just ridiculous.

That is why they should ID every person that returns or exchanges the product. That is what some major retailers like Best Buy and Walmart in US are doing. They should enter the customer details in the system to see his past history. So that they can weed out people who are abusing the system from genuine people who are having genuine problems. It protects people who are honest and fair.

I am sure he doesnt know that the replaced ipod is refurbished and not a new one.Apple is kind till that last day of warranty and that is the precise reason i am going to purchase Apple care for my ipad.I got my ipad replaced yesterday as there was screen bleeding from day one and see what is happening with the replaced ipad .

Took it back today to the apple store for replacement, they had no clue why this is happening .They did not make a mess when the ipad was acting normal in the store .All i did was showed them this video recorded off my iPhone .They apologized for the issues i am facing and promised a replacement by Monday ( NZ doesn't have a Apple store but a Premium Reseller ) and gave me a $30 NZD App store coupon.

mav2000 said:
My big issue with Apple in India is that they dont provide warranty to parallel import phones, or a phone bought abroad. What I fail to understand is, we have paid for the phone, the website shows the warranty information as well, but when you go to get any support they will not even touch the phone...why??

Because iPhone warranty is carrier based

Gannu said:
How pathetic! There are folks like you around who misuse the warranty system as well. And some others who cannot claim the warranty for genuine reasons like the member in this thread - http://www.techenclave.com/laptops/apple-care-protection-plan-apple-just-197216.html
Metalspree said:
Thanks to folks like you who screw up the system :|.

If you guys were so interested in claiming warranty, then you should have bought your devices from India. I've paid a premium compared to others (grey market) so I have every right to claim it and you dont have any right to say that to me alright. be better off with your greys[/B]

Metalspree said:
I am sure he doesnt know that the replaced ipod is refurbished and not a new one.Apple is kind till that last day of warranty and that is the precise reason i am going to purchase Apple care for my ipad.I got my ipad replaced yesterday as there was screen bleeding from day one and see what is happening with the replaced ipad .

What-so-ever it is.. I was just concerened with it bcoz I had to sell the iPod and iPhone and I sold both of em for a pretty good price!

spawnfreak said:
If you guys were so interested in claiming warranty, then you should have bought your devices from India. I've paid a premium compared to others (grey market) so I have every right to claim it and you dont have any right to say that to me alright. be better off with your greys[/B]

I have not got it from grey market, i purchased it from Hongkong Apple online store its factory unlocked.Do not talk rubbish with out knowing the details .

iPhone warranty is international but the the catch is that the country should have an Apple online store which sells FU phones.

What-so-ever it is.. I was just concerned with it bcoz I had to sell the iPod and iPhone and I sold both of em for a pretty good price!

That is what called as abusing the system.

i had got a Macbookpro from Australia. it was actually a wedding gift from my parents. In all the festivities that followed, i forgot to activate apple care protection plan. :-(

i had forgotten all about it till my MBP started overheating a month back(out of warranty period ). went to apple care in Thane, and it was repaired for a (relatively) small price. I was very impressed with their professionalism.

just wish i had activated apple care protection plan . :-(

Metalspree said:
I have not got it from grey market, i purchased it from Hongkong Apple online store its factory unlocked.Do not talk rubbish with out knowing the details .

iPhone warranty is international but the the catch is that the country should have an Apple online store which sells FU phones.
That is what called as abusing the system.

Where-so-ever you've purchased it. Just to save a couple of thousands, you lost on Indian warranty. Vice-versa, just to get Indian warranty, i spent a couple of thousands extra and I'm taking full benefit of it. Simple.

The warranty is carrier specific so, no online store blah blah

spawnfreak said:

Where-so-ever you've purchased it. Just to save a couple of thousands, you lost on Indian warranty. Vice-versa, just to get Indian warranty, i spent a couple of thousands extra and I'm taking full benefit of it. Simple.

The warranty is carrier specific so, no online store blah blah

If i was in India i must have got it,well in reality i am not in India so buying in the city i live makes sense.

@spawnfreak:

" I was just concerened with it bcoz I had to sell the iPod and iPhone and I sold both of em for a pretty good price!"

This is clearly taking Apple for a ride. Let me get this straight, you buy an Ipod and according to your earlier post you go to Apple store at the end of warranty period and tell them you have battery problems when you don't for a free replacement. And you are doing this so that you can sell it for a good price. Do you even think it is fair? I do not think it is a good justification for your actions.

You are spending couple of thousands extra for brand, reliability and support if you have genuine problems. That is what warranty and its benefit means. You are covered when you come across legitimate problems.

Anyways I am not bashing you, I am only bashing your actions. Thank you.

Back