Petrols prices rant/rave thread

sunny27

Stig's Indian Cousin!!!
Skilled
Imagine.. if all the fuel from the motorsport was saved and weee bit was available for us to use..
<

Why such heavy subsidies on diesel? Can anyone explain the policies wrt petrol pricing? why do we shell out so much? An explanation with a breakup of costs per litre would help. I would really like to understand how petrol is priced in India.

Lifestyle in Goa, even house will be much more costlier than many places in India, how much km run you make per month ????

If you make 1000km per month, taking you gaddi avg as 14, you will need 71 litre petrol, which will save you Rs. 1400 per month, would you like to leave all your family, frds, locals , and love for your place just for Rs. 1400 ???

For our gorvernment oil is like a golden goose. It wont cut taxes but wont allow PSU to hike the prices. To put things into perspective, last time when prices were hiked Oil was $109/bbl (barrel) including frieght , now it stands at $135/bbl. Instead of continually raising prices, they should also think about cutting the fat taxes.

Lifestyle in Goa, even house will be much more costlier than many places in India, how much km run you make per month ????

If you make 1000km per month, taking you gaddi avg as 14, you will need 71 litre petrol, which will save you Rs. 1400 per month, would you like to leave all your family, frds, locals , and love for your place just for Rs. 1400 ???

Don't have kids or family where I currently am. Goa is a fun place overall! Goa looks like an enticing prospect for me considering I reside in a legally dry state. The sad thing is, my bootlegger has been caught and is lying low for a few days now and not engaging in his humanitarian mission. Goa would rule out the requirement to have a bootlegger.

Why such heavy subsidies on diesel? Can anyone explain the policies wrt petrol pricing? why do we shell out so much? An explanation with a breakup of costs per litre would help. I would really like to understand how petrol is priced in India.

Diesel is majorly used by Trucks + Farmers, which apparently form the backbone of society's needs. If diesel prices are increased all food items will become proportionally costlier. Its good thing to control diesel prices more than petrol prices.

Diesel is majorly used by Trucks + Farmers, which apparently form the backbone of society's needs. If diesel prices are increased all food items will become proportionally costlier. Its good thing to control diesel prices more than petrol prices.

And petrol would become cheaper (since its no longer being used to "subsidize" diesel) balancing out the increase in food prices approximately(atleast for those with transport that runs on petrol)?

And petrol would become cheaper (since its no longer being used to "subsidize" diesel) balancing out the increase in food prices approximately(atleast for those with transport that runs on petrol)?

If I understand correctly, Petrol and Diesel prices in India have been subsidised and price controlled for a really long time. The government took a decision (in 2010, I think) to eliminate Petrol subsidies/price control. The value now floats according to world market prices (crude prices). So Petrol and Diesel prices are not connected anymore (even previously, the connection would only have extended as far as the government deciding what percentage of total fuel subsidies went to Diesel as opposed to Petrol).

Petrol is a non renewable resource... I learnt that in school. And ever since, I have been telling myself that the prices will keep rising till the resource is depleted!
<

So, the rising prices don't shock me... I was preparing for it since childhood!
<

If I understand correctly, Petrol and Diesel prices in India have been subsidised and price controlled for a really long time. The government took a decision (in 2010, I think) to eliminate Petrol subsidies/price control. The value now floats according to world market prices (crude prices). So Petrol and Diesel prices are not connected anymore (even previously, the connection would only have extended as far as the government deciding what percentage of total fuel subsidies went to Diesel as opposed to Petrol).

It is still a farce since the government is a majority shareholder in most oil companies so indirectly it is still the government that is making the decisions.

A majority of the most downtrodden populace do not have any transport. They will be most affected by a rise in the prices of essentials.

Back