Philips SHP-8900 headphones.

This is my short review of the Philps flagship Shp-8900 headphones, I got these headphones a week back from a philips dealer i knew. I've been playing a lot of house and techno on these since i got them and have fully burned them in. These are a significant step-up from my not so old shp-2700's terms of sound Q and comfort. As some of you may be wondering why buy philips and not sennheiser phones at this price point ? Well, The underrated shp-805 was a killer budget offering at the < Rs 1500 price point and after the impressive shp-2700's I decided to give these a shot (Phlips fanboi :p ) . There's also a lack of reviews on the philips cans as compared to sennheiser and koss'es on the web because high end philips phones aren't widely sold in america and u.k so i thought i could do my bit and review them.

Technical specifications:
Acoustic system - Open
Magnet type -Neodymium
Frequency response -5 - 30 000 Hz
Impedance -32 Ohm
Maximum power input -1500 mW
Sensitivity -106 dB
Speaker diameter -50 mm Compared to the Shp-805 & 2700's 40mm
Connectivity

Cable Connection -One-sided
Cable length -4 m
Detachable cable -Yes
Finishing of connector -24k Gold-plated
SOUND:

Before Burn in- At first these sound overly bright and only emphasize the higher frequencies .The highs seems annoying and fatiguing at this point.
Some EQ settings need to be tweaked for them to sound flat. There's also a noticeable lack of upper bass and mids ,
these cans don't seem very good for hard rock and metal.

After burn in
: Their bass response improved and is tight, deep, and can be very powerful if you boost the eq
and even then it isn't noticeably distorted (Slight distortion creeps up in some house tracks) In some hip hop tracks it seemed that there's a sub near me. The overly bright sound has settled and listening to them is far less fatiguing now. These do leak sound at higher volumes but provide fair isolation from ambient sounds
All in all these cans really improved my enjoyment of music, at least in comparison to the previously owned shp-2700's ( Which for their price are outstanding) and Mdr-xd100 which were total crap , No offenses to the owners maybe I'm just a freak. :rolleyes:

Tested using a borrowed Creative SB Live! 24bit
Alternate headphones for comparison : Phillips shp-2700.

COMFORT:

These look great with the chrome trim around the wire mesh grills.The ear pads use a soft fabric being more breathable as compared to leatherite used on most headphones(Sony). The net weight is given as 0.38 kg so the cans aren't the lightest ever but somehow don't feel heavy on the head . A carrying bag is also included. another neat touch is the detachable cable that can be locked and unlocked in the earcup by twisting the plug.
Photos:

Capture043.jpg

Capture044.jpg

Capture045.jpg

Capture046.jpg

Capture047.jpg

CONCLUSION:
I paid a paltry sum of Rs 2500 (The MRP on the box says Rs 3600) for these killer phones as i knew the dealer well. All those on the lookout for midrange headphones give these a listen. Sound is very subjective, and everyone has their own tastes and preferences so in short i found these simply awesome :eek:hyeah: .

The bass on SHP5400 and 2700 and other models is not boomy at all. Very tight and clean which is very rare to find in many hi-end HPs including Senns...

What is the price of 805 nowadays?

best

At the price of nearly 3k going for the audio techinca's is a reasonable choice. The shp series is now rarely seen in shops and overpriced in ebay listings
<
Also, there is essentially no warranty for them if you buy off ebay; I learnt this the hard way. Great headphones if they were priced decently but definitely not worth buying atm. Also philips seems least interested in a line of quality headphones as seen by its current lineup. The shp models are nearly a decade old.

But still the shp 8900 is way ahead of shp8500. 8900 has better soundstage and resolution. Needs a good amp to drive them properly. But the cable quality is poor, and its insulation will come off in an year. Mine is working flawless after recabling.

Back