Graphic Cards PhysX to kick ATI in the guts HARD!

iGo said:
via common driver interface

Forrest said:
OpenCL API has a set of functions and each vendor has to write those functions in their own low-level language

Sigh.... when I say common driver interface, it means driver for hardware, it means drivers issued by vendors. It doesn't matter how vendor is compiling, as long as it included OpenCL functions. THESE functions remain common, hence OpenCL remains vendor agnostic. As for the compute shader, it's the same thing again as OpenCL... the difference is, Compute Shader is still in talks while OpenCL standard is finalized.

DirectX has progressed only because Microsoft's strong backing, while OpenGL suffered from lack of dedicated development. In terms of technical strong-points OpenGL is no slouch for Direct3D, had that been a situation pro-apps like CAD and Vis would have considered D3D instead of OGL... clearly that's not the case.

I would agree that Direct3D is now de-facto standard for games and it has come long way. But that's not what we are talking about here.

OpenCL, Physx, CUDA, Stream they are all about doing more than gaming on your card or adding to it.

Forrest said:
Compute shader has already been released in the DirectX SDK November08.

Is that so? I wasn't aware of that. All I have been hearing was that Compute Shader was to come along with DX11. Hmmm... Need to check this out.

Back