Pixel 6a launched

Eh ? Assembly hub vs actual market for their phones ? Why are you confusing the two ? This is a supply chain exploration.
I have a reasoning that if they have assembly hub in India even if it's for exports, it could help to reduce prices to a certain extent, making it affordable and hence increase their market share.
Regardless of what they do, if they don't solve their SoC issues, sales aren't going to improve. Because the pixel fan base is limited to techies, nerds. For majority, it's still redmi, Samsung, Xiaomi and those bbk children.

I have a reasoning that if they have assembly hub in India even if it's for exports, it could help to reduce prices to a certain extent, making it affordable and hence increase their market share.
Regardless of what they do, if they don't solve their SoC issues, sales aren't going to improve. Because the pixel fan base is limited to techies, nerds. For majority, it's still redmi, Samsung, Xiaomi and those bbk children.

Doesn't happen. Look at apple or Samsung or BBK phones etc. All have big assemblies in India. No reduction in prices.

The issue here in India is most people who buy phones are looking at the 10-30k range.. earlier it was 6-15k, however it has changed over the last couple of years with flexible payment schedules and so on.

So the majority of sales are with Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo in their sub-30k segments. Now iQoo is picking that market, as is Nothing, Poco and others.
Samsung in that price range is a reliable option, as in most people trust the brand, however their price to quality equation is pretty dire tbh. What Samsung offers for 25k, Xiaomi would offer you at 15k!

Motorola is getting back in the 15-30k bracket, but their lack of support is dubious and makes most people only buy 1 phone and then look elsewhere.

Still, a large number of people don't have the trust factor in brands that aren't Samsung or Apple.

Apple could sweep the entire territory in under 30k range if they sell their SE3 (2022) for something closer to 30k, absolutely!

Or Google if they sold 7A for around 30-33k.

Now, phones above 50k have a niche market. Apple or Samsung, 90%.

Apple guys buy Apple 99% of the time, similar for Samsung fans unless they are burned by quality or after sales.

But I haven't seen many people trusting Oppo, Vivo or Xiaomi in the 70-80k or + price territory. These brands haven't created that sort of faith yet.

I personally bought and used the Xiaomi 13 Pro @ around 70k given the discounts that were there and sold it at a substantial loss, however had it been the 13 Ultra for similar price point, I would have definitely hold on to that and would appreciate the pricing.

Xiaomi 13 Pro @ 70k makes no sense, it should have been going @ 55-60k after discounts and offers, to set Xiaomi a platform to get users in.

Similarly, Vivo X90 Pro instead of the Plus edition at upwards of 80k is crazy silly pricing. Makes no sense. Even at 75k it is overkill.

X90 at 45-50k, X90 Pro at 60k and you'd have people shifting from the S23 and S23 Plus to these options. Even the vanilla iPhone 14 users would prefer them for the price vfm.

Oppo N2 Flip @ 80k after discounts is again failed to begin with. Samsung Flip 4 goes for 75-80k brand new, while it sells in the used market for 40-45k.. The N2 Flip at 60-65k would have been mega ! It would sell a lot better then.

Tecno is definitely destined to fail as it neither has the faith nor the appeal, or experience in India.

A very few people take risks with high end non Samsung or non Apple phones in India. I like Oppo and Huawei and Honor and such phones, but their lack of launch in India is a pita (pain in the a**!).

We have lost HTC, LG, Blackberry and a lot of other brands that simply gave up. Remember Micromax? I had a bloody phone from Simoco once!

Remember Micromax?

Who misses MM ? They just rebranded Chinese OEMs and sold in India.
For high prices, also blame taxes (not sure if high end Xiaomi Oppo etc get manufactured in India). Apple and Samsung get away due to preferences and personal biases. Why is Oppo and Xiaomi selling at 70-80k is beyond any comprehension. What are the number of units they are selling at that price ?

Who misses MM ? They just rebranded Chinese OEMs and sold in India.
For high prices, also blame taxes (not sure if high end Xiaomi Oppo etc get manufactured in India). Apple and Samsung get away due to preferences and personal biases. Why is Oppo and Xiaomi selling at 70-80k is beyond any comprehension. What are the number of units they are selling at that price ?

I'll never miss Micromax - their quality was obnoxious! They flooded the Indian market with rebranded Chinese phones, but it's pretty strange how they ultimately died out..

Taxes are one reason, but the brands also don't lower their profit % to enter the competitive segment in terms of pricing..

I wouldn't mind paying 80k for an Oppo Find X6 Pro retailing in India, mind you, but right now we can only get the Chinese or Global imported ones for 100k instead!

I'll never miss Micromax - their quality was obnoxious! They flooded the Indian market with rebranded Chinese phones, but it's pretty strange how they ultimately died out..

Taxes are one reason, but the brands also don't lower their profit % to enter the competitive segment in terms of pricing..

I wouldn't mind paying 80k for an Oppo Find X6 Pro retailing in India, mind you, but right now we can only get the Chinese or Global imported ones for 100k instead!

I just refuse to pay for any phone unless they can provide timely OS updates.

Why is Oppo and Xiaomi selling at 70-80k is beyond any comprehension. What are the number of units they are selling at that price ?
The 50k - 1lL segment is considered as super premium and I read earlier that Apple has 78% market share in theat segment and Samsung close to 20%. So everyone else is a rounding error. I suppose the Pixel Pro would be less of a rounding error than Oppo/Xiaomi in this segment.
The issue here in India is most people who buy phones are looking at the 10-30k range.. earlier it was 6-15k, however it has changed over the last couple of years with flexible payment schedules and so on.
You are right in stating that the market has shifted more towards the 30k segment. Xiaomi and realme have lost the most in the market shift as they are perceived as budget brands and also act as such.

I know that the Pixel gets lambasted over its SoC and Google's bugs but I went for it during this month's sale anyway as it made the most sense as a secondary phone costing less than 24k.

On the Android 14 beta, but I must say that the SoT and standby are both impressive.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230817-160030.png
    Screenshot_20230817-160030.png
    272.9 KB · Views: 106
I know that the Pixel gets lambasted over its SoC and Google's bugs but I went for it during this month's sale anyway as it made the most sense as a secondary phone costing less than 24k.

On the Android 14 beta, but I must say that the SoT and standby are both impressive.
That's very nice, how much improvement in battery performance compared to the latest stable OS?

Doesn't happen. Look at apple or Samsung or BBK phones etc. All have big assemblies in India. No reduction in prices.
issue is because these OEMs definitely dont want to reduce the price even though their margins are probably bigger because people who aare buying them now will buy them anyways due to a lack of competing OEM
So the majority of sales are with Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo in their sub-30k segments. Now iQoo is picking that market, as is Nothing, Poco and others.
Nothing definitely not, it's still a niche serving not being helped by Pei's insane pricing

Any improvements regarding the heating issues after the updates?
I had the heating issue the first 3 days on Android 13 and then again when I reset and flashed Android 14, probably because there is a lot of calibration going in the initial days. On a day-to-day basis, post the initial period, it doesn't heat up much, at least for my primary use case of using it for work, browsing and some light gaming.
That's very nice, how much improvement in battery performance compared to the latest stable OS?
Not that drastic, but Accubattery estimate used to be around the 7-8 hour mark for the week I was on A13, so going past 9 hour SoT was a new one.

The Android 14 upgrade did something to the modem. The phone was not heating up too much on A13 during downloading or tethering data. Now on A14, it heats up like crazy. The aluminium phone stand acts like heatsink and even that gets hot now. Can probably bake some papad on the back cover if i wait for sometime but by that time phone will shut down due to over heating. I'm guessing its going above 50C easily now.

The Android 14 upgrade did something to the modem. The phone was not heating up too much on A13 during downloading or tethering data. Now on A14, it heats up like crazy. The aluminium phone stand acts like heatsink and even that gets hot now. Can probably bake some papad on the back cover if i wait for sometime but by that time phone will shut down due to over heating. I'm guessing its going above 50C easily now.
Went through that phase on A14 beta. Seems a lot of calibration happens in the initial days. Didn't face it during the OTA to the final release.

But the heating issue didn't last more than a week, so if this is still the case then something's wrong. But then I also don't use 5G on my 6a.

Went through that phase on A14 beta. Seems a lot of calibration happens in the initial days. Didn't face it during the OTA to the final release.

But the heating issue didn't last more than a week, so if this is still the case then something's wrong. But then I also don't use 5G on my 6a.
Heating is on 4G only. After A14 upgrade my phone never switches to 5G band now. Once in a day it will show 5g but in a second it will switch back to 4G if i browse the net.
I factory resetted , after installing A14 , Setup afresh . No issues
I can't do that since its my only phone and i have wa installed on it. Won't it go back to A13 if i do factory reset? I don't have internet connection besides the phone data to do online reset through google chrome. And doing online reset, the phone needs to be put in recovery mode so no phone wifi.

You took OTA update?
If BL is unlocked you could try flashing the A14 firmware through adb/fastboot. Just remove the w part in firmware file and it'll not wipe data. I always flashed mine that way as they say it's a cleaner way to do updates.

Heating is on 4G only. After A14 upgrade my phone never switches to 5G band now. Once in a day it will show 5g but in a second it will switch back to 4G if i browse the net.

I can't do that since its my only phone and i have wa installed on it. Won't it go back to A13 if i do factory reset? I don't have internet connection besides the phone data to do online reset through google chrome. And doing online reset, the phone needs to be put in recovery mode so no phone wifi.
It wont go back to A13 if you have installed A14 .
For WA you can , Back to Gdrive , its free and then restore . Also add a companion device if it takes time . You can use web Whatsapp , Windows whatsapp app , etc

You took OTA update?
If BL is unlocked you could try flashing the A14 firmware through adb/fastboot. Just remove the w part in firmware file and it'll not wipe data. I always flashed mine that way as they say it's a cleaner way to do updates.
The phone auto updated at night while charging. BL is not unlocked. Have icici app and it does not work if even developer options is on. day to day phone so can't mess with it.
It wont go back to A13 if you have installed A14 .
For WA you can , Back to Gdrive , its free and then restore . Also add a companion device if it takes time . You can use web Whatsapp , Windows whatsapp app , etc
I'll try the web version and see if it makes a backup on my pc.
edit: wa web only downloads select few messages. wa desktop not available for linux. so i'm stuck with this now till i have another phone. one way i see is to take my old 4g phone and use current sim in it for usb tethering of data and do factory reset of pixel in recovery mode through browser. might work. will try this sunday after taking backup of phone.

Last edited:
Back