Android Pixel 7, 7 pro camera shatter issue

TheGoldenHorde

Disciple
Just wanted to share the camera shatter issue that many pixel 7 users are facing. Didn't see any thread for this.

What is happening : Camera glass of Pixel 7 and 7 Pro are shattering without users doing anything, like dropping or hitting the phone somewhere. Most phones are in protective cases while this happened.

Why is it happening : No clear reason has been confirmed. Google has not issued a statement. Cold weather seems to be a common factor, so maybe the breakage is caused by expansion/contraction of the aluminum frame on the camera bar. But many users (Canadians) have also said that they are regularly using their phones in cold weather without any issues. So, we don't know the exact reason.

It certainly looks like a manufacturing defect. Many of the shatters are in the same location and looks the same.

What you can do : If this happens to you, try to get the phone replaced if it is under warranty. Google will deny replacement, but don't give up. Many users were denied replacement from Google, but when they persisted the phone was replaced.

Attaching some links where you can see this issue :

The post is to raise awareness of the issue. Google needs to improve their QA.

Attachments

• slCuNdi.jpeg
    slCuNdi.jpeg
    260.2 KB · Views: 82
  • bADuNfO.jpeg
    bADuNfO.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Fmc6YLiWAAU4RbK.jpg
    Fmc6YLiWAAU4RbK.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 84
  • FmDJzdsakAEVcAU.jpg
    FmDJzdsakAEVcAU.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 78
  • Fln9efiaUAMEqle.jpg
    Fln9efiaUAMEqle.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 82
What is happening : Camera glass of Pixel 7 and 7 Pro are shattering without users doing anything, like dropping or hitting the phone somewhere. Most phones are in protective cases while this happened.

Why is it happening : No clear reason has been confirmed. Google has not issued a statement. Cold weather seems to be a common factor, so maybe the breakage is caused by expansion/contraction of the aluminum frame on the camera bar. But many users (Canadians) have also said that they are regularly using their phones in cold weather without any issues.
The reason is it's tempered glass so it if gets knocked it does not show immediately. Rather it remembers and fails later. This used to happen with the LG V20 to some people.

The camera glass definitely did get knocked. The user might not be aware as it will fail many days later for no apparent reason.

The camera island protrudes slightly and there is no adequate protection from the phone. The bumpers at the top and bottom are too short to offer any protection.

So, we don't know the exact reason.

It certainly looks like a manufacturing defect. Many of the shatters are in the same location and looks the same.
It is a design thing because you have a sheet of glass covering two cameras.

What jerry recommended in the case of the V20 was not to remove the plastic protective film that was installed at the factory. That provides a little more protection.

The film has cutouts for the cameras and did not interfere with photos. The same applies here if Pixel provided one don't remove it.

if they didn't then you need to get a case with a prominent lip around the camera that will cushion falls

The same applies to the Samsung S20FE which has an even bigger camera island and that one sheet of glass

My case has TPU that covers the camera island with cutouts for the camera and flash. It must be black in colour or you will get reflections in the photo when using the flash.

Looking at the Pixel and how far away the flash is this internal reflection might be less of an issue.
What you can do : If this happens to you, try to get the phone replaced if it is under warranty. Google will deny replacement, but don't give up. Many users were denied replacement from Google, but when they persisted the phone was replaced.

The post is to raise awareness of the issue. Google needs to improve their QA.
Getting it done under warranty will be the only recourse if you can find a service centre in India that will do it. Otherwise do what I said above. My V20 is over five years old. always been in a case despite the 810 'military grade' bla bla, been dropped loads of times and the camera and phone is still mint. I expect to get the same life from the S20FE too. The same should apply for the Pixel 7/Pro

Don't let this stop you from getting it if you want one.

I'd hunt for an appropriate case beforehand though and be prepared to spend the thousands if it's an import. Or you might get lucky as I did with a generic S20FE case that offers just as good protection as a branded one, I'd argue better. You need an eye to know if the case is good enough or not.

Last edited:
Interesting thread, was just thinking of getting a pixel 7 myself, wasn't aware of this issue.

Another thing I was wondering about is the service / after-sales support for pixel in india, according to google they say they do have mail-in service both in and out of warranty, and the provider appears to be "B2X" (link to b2x is on their own page, seems to be legit). I was wondering if anyone might have any experience with their repair process, if you do then kindly share it with us as it would be very helpful to know.

1674818024378.png

I has used their services earleir when I had Pixel 4A. They come to your place and if required, they take it with them for repaires. No additional charges for home pickup. The person who came was very friendly and sorted my issue then and there.
(This I am talking of Mumbai but I am sure, for Tier 2/3 cities, they would be getting it picked up through some logistic partner)

I was seriously considering Pixel 7 as a replacement for the iPhone 12mini.

The iPhone could handle a ton of abuse allowing me to handle it carefree and now am concerned about this.

What are my options for preventing such an issue? Am not keen on getting a different phone as am looking for a clean android interface.

The iPhone could handle a ton of abuse allowing me to handle it carefree and now am concerned about this.

What are my options for preventing such an issue? Am not keen on getting a different phone as am looking for a clean android interface.
Maybe look at the Nothing Phone 1?

After the Android 13 update, experience has improved tremendously.

Maybe look at the Nothing Phone 1?

After the Android 13 update, experience has improved tremendously.

Sorry for the OT.

After seeing the photo and video samples from various youtube. Nothing 1 was struck off. My priorities are the Camera + clean OS + OS updates.

My work android device is a Pixel 5, so quite used to them. Worst case scenario, I might consider pixel 6a.

My priorities are the Camera + clean OS + OS updates.

Consider Nokia or Motorola phones then. I personally like Nokia better, because of stock Android, zero bloatware, build quality and timely upgrades and security patches.

Motorola phones are also good, and many people here recommend them when someone wants clean Android. They are slow in terms of updates though

After seeing the photo and video samples from various youtube. Nothing 1 was struck off. My priorities are the Camera + clean OS + OS updates.

My work android device is a Pixel 5, so quite used to them. Worst case scenario, I might consider pixel 6a.
I'd suggest you take a look at the camera samples after the Android 13 update. I think Ranjit (GeekyRanjit), Piyush (HFV Unbox) and Rakesh (Gyan Therapy) did updated experience videos few days back.

Interesting thread, was just thinking of getting a pixel 7 myself, wasn't aware of this issue.

Another thing I was wondering about is the service / after-sales support for pixel in india, according to google they say they do have mail-in service both in and out of warranty, and the provider appears to be "B2X" (link to b2x is on their own page, seems to be legit). I was wondering if anyone might have any experience with their repair process, if you do then kindly share it with us as it would be very helpful to know.

View attachment 158710
I talked to a shopkeeper about this a few days ago. He told me the same thing that honest1 said in his reply. They will come to your home and take the phone for repair. He said it was pretty ok and hassle free. He also said that customers weren't having much issues with the camera shatter issue so far. This was in Kochi, Kerala.
You can check with local shopkeepers if this service is available.

I dont think you can do much for preventing this issue. You can follow what blr_p said in his reply but it shouldn't be the case that we have to worry our phone and take those measures.
It all depends on your luck ig. It is a small sample of ppl who are experiencing it. Iphones, Samsung, LG phones have also had this issue before. I came to know there is even a lawsuit going on against samsung. (https://www.xda-developers.com/samsung-galaxy-s20-camera-glass-lawsuit/)
The difference is apple and samsung sell 10x (or more) the volume of google and still had lower number of issues than this. Pixel 7 one is the most widespread from what i read online.

Last edited:
Sorry for the OT.

Sorry to say, you don't have any options, just like me. I am stuck with Pixels only because of camera and software. If those are the two aspects you prioritise then Pixel is the ONLY choice. No iPhone has come close to their camera. The quality control or the lack thereof has remained the most significant issue plaguing the Pixels. I had been a victim three times, yet, here I am, still using a Pixel. There's something about the camera (really the HDR) which you cannot un-use once you have used it. Lol.

Either you let go of your camera priority, and switch to iPhone, which will provide better software UX anyway, and stay in peace wrt QC, or, you stay with Pixel, cherish the lovely camera, and accept their hardware/software problems as they come by, and they most surely will. There's an option three here, Samsung. I checked all samples GSMA reviewed thus far, and I think Samsung is the only one whose HDR processing is *somewhat* comparable with Pixels. I think I would be able to live with that camera, BUT, the Samsung software, yeah...like experiencing the Indian bloated population this time on a phone.

Advice: Live w/ what you have, and wait for the 7a. 6a has shite modem, avoid.

I dont think you can do much for preventing this issue. You can follow what blr_p said in his reply but it shouldn't be the case that we have to worry our phone and take those measures.
It all depends on your luck ig. It is a small sample of ppl who are experiencing it. Iphones, Samsung, LG phones have also had this issue before. I came to know there is even a lawsuit going on against samsung. (https://www.xda-developers.com/samsung-galaxy-s20-camera-glass-lawsuit/)
The difference is apple and samsung sell 10x (or more) the volume of google and still had lower number of issues than this. Pixel 7 one is the most widespread from what i read online.
Not surprised. S20 and its derivatives have a bigger camera island. Notice how Sammy modified the design after? S21 & S22 have a guard over the cameras.

If you take the measures I mentioned you will have less to worry about. These companies try to give people what they want

Camera, camera and more camera. You have to look after it.

It's not going to be as robust as a single lens camera. This does not mean it cannot be protected.

US is the only country where both LG & Samsung get hammered with these class action suits for over a decade now.
Then get it
But first, find yourself a good case. Corner protection. A prominent lip around the camera island the screen and you're good. It does not have to be otterbox like to be functional.

The problem begins when people think they want to go without a case. Well, that is fine for those that sell within a month or two because the case is a loss they will have to donate. But once you keep it for more time the odds of an accident like this will increase without protection.

I usually get around 5 cases when i get a new phone because why not, most stay in the cupboard a couple will get the most use.

Last edited:

same boat, i'm now looking at s22 maybe it will receive a price reduction after s23 is released on Feb 1st

Samsung OneUI has really come a long way and the amount of customization it allows seems to be great

Last edited:
I am really running out of time to get a phone for mom who needs an upgrade in a week or so.

S22 , S21 FE are all in my list , but i need the best camera for my mom... :(
Shall i go with Pixel 7 ?

Back