Pixel 8 launched

then u guys are clearly unicorns who dont do anything with ur phones..
Are you saying watching YouTube, web browsing etc doesn't count? Lol. That screen on time figure on its own is beyond meaningless. Web browsing primarily with Chrome, or YouTube app etc will output at least 8 to 10 hours of screen on time. Then go you to real world usage, like using the camera, using the gps, with mobile data (and i mean 4g only, nobody uses 5G always), that figure drops to 2 to 3 hours. Yeah.
At this point I strongly wished that Pixels didn't offer such a fantastic camera. As it's the central reason for people like me to still consider these otherwise below-average phones, that and the software experience as well. The hardware that is the most unreliable, the quality control that is the most fragile. You expect a company to start fixing hardware issues on their 8th iteration, as they have fixed their prices to match apple's and Samsung's anyways.

PS: Attached a screenshot from my Pixel 2 xl.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231014-105049.png
    Screenshot_20231014-105049.png
    338.2 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Are you saying watching YouTube, web browsing etc doesn't count? Lol. That screen on time figure on its own is beyond meaningless. Web browsing primarily with Chrome, or YouTube app etc will output at least 8 to 10 hours of screen on time. Then go you to real world usage, like using the camera, using the gps, with mobile data (and i mean 4g only, nobody uses 5G always), that figure drops to 2 to 3 hours. Yeah.
At this point I strongly wished that Pixels didn't offer such a fantastic camera. As it's the central reason for people like me to still consider these otherwise below-average phones, that and the software experience as well. The hardware that is the most unreliable, the quality control that is the most fragile. You expect a company to start fixing hardware issues on their 8th iteration, as they have fixed their prices to match apple's and Samsung's anyways.
I use my iPhone for calls and also a lot of the camera stuff. I do use the 6a for Teams calls though along with all reading and watching tasks. Someone using it for a lot of calls and video recording would definitely have a lower SoT.

Pixel 8 Pro efficiency tests are out:

F8VdeD-bAAAh6_Q.png
F8VdegOb0AEyier.png

If you were expecting proper efficiency, even somewhat close to TSMC statures, then you can chuck that idea of the window because the G3 has worse efficiency than a Snapdragon 865, which was launched roughly four years ago.

What's more alarming that it has worse efficiency than the 8 Gen 1, which Samsung themselves created.

Also, this is the 8 Pro, which means the best possible scenario. Can now properly imagine what the lower binned 8 and 8A will put up. What a massive disappointment.

Pixel 8 Pro efficiency tests are out:

View attachment 180435 View attachment 180436

If you were expecting proper efficiency, even somewhat close to TSMC statures, then you can chuck that idea of the window because the G3 has worse efficiency than a Snapdragon 865, which was launched roughly four years ago.

What's more alarming that it has worse efficiency than the 8 Gen 1, which Samsung themselves created.

Also, this is the 8 Pro, which means the best possible scenario. Can now properly imagine what the lower binned 8 and 8A will put up. What a massive disappointment.
1697358958301.png

It is more than a bit pointless looking at synthetic benchmarks this way. Not sure if you deliberately chose the worst one. For example, the 3DMark one has the G3 having the same efficiency as Dimensity 9200 and A16 and apparently the M1/M2 are miles worse because they have a higher performance envelope.

Keeping sensationalism aside, would rather wait for a verdict from more informed technical sources.

Absolutely loving the phone. I think it's the best pixel I ever had , and I've more or less had them all except 1st one.
The only gripe I am having is for some reason the red bull E Sim is not working for me , whereas it's working on pixel 7 and 5 by following exact same steps. Gonna try a different E Sim latter to see if it's and E Sim issue or specific to pixel 8

It is more than a bit pointless looking at synthetic benchmarks this way. Not sure if you deliberately chose the worst one. For example, the 3DMark one has the G3 having the same efficiency as Dimensity 9200 and A16 and apparently the M1/M2 are miles worse because they have a higher performance envelope.

Keeping sensationalism aside, would rather wait for a verdict from more informed technical sources.
3D Mark stresses only the GPU. SPEC CPU stresses the processor, memory sub-systems, and compiler. So, no, it was not definitely not the worst one and was by far the relevant one, because no one buys a Pixel for gaming.

And the reason why M1/M2 has lower efficiency numbers is because they are pulling (comparatively) more average power compared to these mobile SoCs.

I've witnessed 15-20k Chinese phones outperforming Pixels, particularly in modem performance. My support for Pixels is solely due to the high standards they set, especially in terms of security. The AOSP software experience is overhyped. Google will continue alpha/beta testing these phones on users until they're fully prepared.

3D Mark stresses only the GPU. SPEC CPU stresses the processor, memory sub-systems, and compiler. So, no, it was not definitely not the worst one and was by far the relevant one, because no one buys a Pixel for gaming.

And the reason why M1/M2 has lower efficiency numbers is because they are pulling (comparatively) more average power compared to these mobile SoCs.
That is the point. These benchmarks are pointless because none of them reflect real-life usage. No one uses these kind of phones for intense gaming, neither do they for workloads that are aimed at servers. And Golden_Reviewer isn't the most diligent of reviewers as past reviews have produced extremely skewed results based on devices, resolutions, conditions being not normalised.

It is not a surprise that the G3 has been tuned down for efficiency because that is how Google has been setting up Pixel devices over the years where the focus is more on software optimisation and AI, at the expense of raw power. Having used devices from various manufacturers, the software performance for every day use is much better than completely unoptimised software from Samsung, Xiaomi and others.

Pixel will never have the raw power in benchmarks, so that point is mood. What remains to be seen is whether it offers tangible improvement over the G2 in terms of daily use battery life.

I witness this every single day while making upi payments to different places. Must wait 5 to 10 seconds extra for each shop than other Samsung M series folk or One plus folk. Hilarious (not really)

Legit question - how many pixels have you seen in the wild ? For all the AI chops it has, market penetration is extremely poor. And I still love my 2XL and 4A.

Legit question - how many pixels have you seen in the wild ? For all the AI chops it has, market penetration is extremely poor. And I still love my 2XL and 4A.
Especially in India, where people are more concerned with value. No one is paying 60k for a pixel unless they're an android fan and don't want a Samsung. Their after sales service (or lack of) is enough of a deterrent, and add the bad press about tensor chips (rightfully so) ensures normal folks won't even consider a pixel (imo, indians don't see the value of software, as it's not tangible, as compared to hardware. several of my friends have rtx xx80/ti series systems, one has a threadripper build, but still they pirate games and software).

But yes, the exynos chip is bad. Then the battery backup of pixels aren't great either. Then after sales service. Software, and camera, two pivotal aspects of pixels, perhaps the only two. Not enough though, yes. So samsungs will reign as they deliver the overall package better.
Also, the network reception issue and the infamous green line (which came up on the 8 series as well), the network issue for me is the fatal flaw for pixels, I can make do with anything else but if a phone can't even be relied on to make calls then its just not worth it for me.

BTW, has Gegul finally come to their senses and fixed Pixel's pricing?

Aren’t 8/8 Pro more expensive than previous phones ? 8 Pro is hitting 1L in India. Not sure how many units will be moved with that amount.
yeah that's what I meant. Ain't no way even a 8 pro is worth 1L with it's shortcomings. Gegul needs to fix their shit before charging a premium for it.

Back