Developer:
Sony Online Entertainment
Publisher: Sony Online Entertainment
Engine: Forge Light Engine
Platform: PC
Release: on or before December 31, 2012
Genre: MMOFPS
Model: Free 2 Play (Fremium)

The sequel to the landmark MMO FPS has been revealed and is bigger and better than ever. PlanetSide 2 is a massively multiplayer online first person shooter that delivers truly epic, massive combat on a scale never before seen in stunning, breathtaking detail. Battles wage with literally thousands of players aligning with one of three unique factions in intense land, air and vehicle gameplay where the fight for territory is more than a victory, its survival.
More: PlanetSide 2 PC Game - Game Overview

PlanetSide 2 PC Game - Massive Combat on an Epic Scale

Lot of nice screenshots here: The Lavish And Lovely GDC Planetside 2 Gallery | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

More Info:

Trailers:

Forums:
PlanetSide 2 Forums

Sub-Reddit:
PlanetSide & PlanetSide 2

Good beginner's guides:

961.jpg

p.s. Just acquired a beta key from alienware giveaway (it's over now). looked around here and there was no thread.
is anyone here in the beta ?

_

VS is good but I hate those mfkers to core. My main empire alignment is NC but I do like TR for the punch of their weapons.

VS is good but I hate those mfkers to core. My main empire alignment is NC but I do like TR for the punch of their weapons.
haha.. I can see these in all places. people are very religiously attached to the factions :D

played for a few hours today. figured out the basic stuff. btw the game is very demanding on the system.

_

^ Did you guys watch the videos? It's combat on a massive scale, not just a few multiplayer maps. The USP is the sheer number of players playing at once, hence the MMO bit. Granted, the first one was a bit flawed and buggy but this one claims to address all these issues.
Also, they are using the F2P model so no stupid subscriptions.

To those in on the Beta, how are your pings to the servers. Playable?

Apparently it's also got a day-night cycle. Flying through the dark with the skies filled with tracers from AA guns below.

SOE's John Smedley and Matt Higby on why "a subscription would kill a game like Planetside 2" | Features | Edge Online

btw played for some 3hrs yesterday (VS in the EU3 server). there were so many people. I guess sony sent beta invites to quite a lot of people last sunday.
joined a full 12ppl squad which had some 4~5 people communicating over voice. it was nice following the squad leader's commands, capturing bases and strategising our next move. after some 3 base captures our galaxy was shot down, then most of us got an ATV and rushed to another base, had some intense firefights during which my FPS dropped to 30~40 levels :( though I have graphics turned down to 'medium'.

some screenies:
Planetside 2 - Imgur

_

Back