Plannin to get a Bravia

Sure but consider that for the bulk of electronic products, if its going to fail, then its really going to happen within a yr or less, faulty components etc. or in the extreme case a product recalls, does not happen very often and is a much lower risk.

Would you agree then that the highest probability of failure would occur within the first yr ?

Therefore a warranty covering this period would help to offset it and is why its offered.

So...does this mean then, for the avg person.. that the risk of going grey market outweighs the advantages suggested ?

The probability of failure in the first year is the only thing that matters anyway ....

what would you put the probability as for different products? here is what I would put it as:

A HDD may have a 30% failure rate in the 1st year thereby making the gray market a non-option (probably the reason why you owuldnt even get HDDs in the gray market)

a MP3 player like the ipod with a >1% failure rate and a 20-25% price difference, i'll get it from gray

a Camera like the Canon S3IS, maybe a 5% failure rate and 40-45% price difference, i'll get it frm gray

a Car Head Unit with a 50% price difference and 7-8% failure rate, gray mkt again...

xbox 360, well, no, coz of the exteremely high failure rate

a Nokia cellphone...say 5% failure rate combined with a >10% price difference, i'll not buy it frm gray

So i guess the choice would depend on the product in qstn...

coming back to the topic, I bought my TV from gray coz the price differential was over 20% + I have a very dependable supplier + the probability of panel failure after having been tested once for lack of dead pixels is near zero....if other components fail, the repair cost would be low anyway

WHat is the difference between KDL and KLV bravia's.

On US site all models are KDL and on India site all are KLV ?????

Also can someone tell me gray shops that sell LCD TV's here in Pune ????

Thanks

The series numbers are different for North America, EU and Asia Pacific. So dont try to compare these models.

Most of current lineup are exact same hardware but branded under different serial name in US and Asia.

superczar said:
what would you put the probability as for different products? here is what I would put it as:

a MP3 player like the ipod with a >1% failure rate and a 20-25% price difference, i'll get it from gray

a Camera like the Canon S3IS, maybe a 5% failure rate and 40-45% price difference, i'll get it frm gray

a Car Head Unit with a 50% price difference and 7-8% failure rate, gray mkt again...

a Nokia cellphone...say 5% failure rate combined with a >10% price difference, i'll not buy it frm gray

So i guess the choice would depend on the product in qstn...
There's that magic word 'depends'..

excellent post btw :hap2:

...showing that going grey can be a calculated risk if the savings in terms of % is ten times (at least) that of the risk of failure in %.

superczar said:
coming back to the topic, I bought my TV from gray coz the price differential was over 20% + I have a very dependable supplier + the probability of panel failure after having been tested once for lack of dead pixels is near zero....if other components fail, the repair cost would be low anyway

Agreed.

If you buy an apple ipod from grey, funny thing is that the warranty is still valid in india making the proper channel pointless. Ipods have international warranty.

Back