Planning To Buy A Mac Mini 2.3 Ghz Model. Can I Get 6% Student Discount?

BikeAdvice

Disciple
I am planning to buy a Mac Mini. Reliance iStore in Chennai and other cities tell me that they give 6% student discount.

But my local Apple retailer says there is no such offer,

I understand that this offer is from Apple and not from retailer, then the local reseller should have that offer right?

Anyone know more about this?

I am planning to buy the 2.3 GHz model which is Rs.33,900 mrp but after 6% it is Rs.31,866. Roughly Rs.2000 off!

the student discount afaik is on the macbook pro.try some other store, i am sure you can get a 6% discount from somewhere else.

Firstly, the student discount is still offered in Major cities, I got one for a friend around 3 weeks back.

Secondly, the model that you are looking at has only 2GB of RAM which is insufficient for a Mac, an upgrade of 8GB (Official Apple RAM fitted by Apple personell) will set you back by Rs. 8900. Keep that in mind as well.

Apart from that, you cannot go wrong with a mac at that price.

^^ That is because the coding of MacOS is really good, in productivity applications the Mac systems really shine, but when it comes to the after sales listings -- the range of upgrades is obnoxious as you are paying through your nose for perfectly cheap options like #Zero Cool has pointed out.

Also I dislike certain hardware associated with the Mac line-up, for example -- The Mighty Mouse is a perfect example of over-glossed design and pathetic ergonomics to me. The screen on the other hand is a stellar performer.

Rest OP for availing the student discount, you just need to present your credentials to the dealer OR try to get your Mac sourced through imagine -- http://www.imaginestore.in/apple_macpro.html OR Reliance Digital outlets.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

I called Apple and found out that student discount is available only in metros whether istores and imagine stores are there. However I talked with my local retailer and he agreed to give 5% discount
<

So Rs.32,200.

Try to find an apple employee to get you a bigger discount?

Third party RAM is supported and compatible... I bought Kingston RAM and upgraded to 8gb on my Mac Book after buying... Warranty is voided if you used supported RAM ... In fact the manual has guides how to replace RAM and HDD

I am planning to upgrade the RAM, but how is the warranty voided? They have an easily open-able panel below to upgrade RAM right?

However if I am giving for warranty replacement of anything inside, logic board, hdd etc... then I can put the original ram before sending it to service centre, right? So even if the Mac Mini is not covered for unsupported RAM, they will get the supported RAM when servicing
<

^^ That is because the coding of MacOS is really good, in productivity applications the Mac systems really shine, but when it comes to the after sales listings -- the range of upgrades is obnoxious as you are paying through your nose for perfectly cheap options like #Zero Cool has pointed out.

Also I dislike certain hardware associated with the Mac line-up, for example -- The Mighty Mouse is a perfect example of over-glossed design and pathetic ergonomics to me. The screen on the other hand is a stellar performer.

Rest OP for availing the student discount, you just need to present your credentials to the dealer OR try to get your Mac sourced through imagine -- http://www.imaginest...ple_macpro.html OR Reliance Digital outlets.

The ram upgrade does not cost anywhere near what zero cool pointed out even if he does it from the store.if he does it from outside,it is very simple and takes 20 mins of our time.

magic mouse is the most simplistic design you will see in the pc market with the best gestures available for the user.how in anyways its overdesigned when it is minimised in bulk and doesnt use any design paradigm is baffling to me.

#vantheman5211

^^ The Mighty Mouse, MIGHTY not Magic, the mouse which has a serious problem with the tiny all direction scroll wheel in the center and the uni-body design, tracking was in issue in college Macs + the left-click used to

get registered as a right-click.

Here is an image to make things clear --
Apple-Mighty-Mouse-Specs.PNG

I also know how easy it is to replace and upgrade RAM DIMM's, I've done it on Macs too but I am not sure about warranty and associated issues on placing so called non-Apple certified DIMM's in a Mac system. So peace and I'll not argue on that point.

Also I do not like touch surfaces in general, they lack the tactile feel delivered by a button when it is depressed.

Hope this clears the confusion, Cheers!!

^ i dont think the apple imagine store stocks this anymore.most of them are display units. so no worries on that front now is it? this is a 3 year old mouse.

what is the relevance for the op of a 3 year old mouse design?

@ op - just get the magic trackpad if you can.it is phenomanal,almost as good as the trackpad on the mbp and its bigger.

@ alpha - finally you have stopped calling sire! i am gonna light that candle now.

^^ Any DDR III RAM should be compatible, for more information just pop the cabinet open Sire check up the details on the RAM modules [should be printed on a sticker stuck to those modules, all details like RAM speed, latency, operating voltages], just remember Apple cherry-picks the products it builds so very often adding non-certified peripherals may OR may-not work out, though you'll not loose your Warranty cover.

^^ Yep from the product preview on the official site, in which they were showing the unique twist way of opening the innards. That RAM module was a laptop variant.

I hope you are talking about this http://www.apple.com/in/macmini/design.html, Right!!

So yes you can go ahead with purchasing this RAM module #BikeAdvice Sire. Cheers!!

Back