Planning to go for M.tech, future benefits ?

After a course in IT/Comp Sc., you can't grow vertically in tech field as a programmer. You need to know about management to be able to become a Manager, CEO etc someday. You will gradually become a manager if you keep coding for number of years and gaining some soft-skills from here and there (while on the job).

OR

You can do a course in management and become a manager (or better manager) little earlier than your BTech only counterparts.

Only clueless people do MBA out of FASHION :D
Lot of MBA guys end up being Associate consultants in IT Service industry. They don't become managers.
heck i have also seen some guys being asked to code :D
Yes the pay is high, but when compared with the tech guy who has worked when the other guy did his MBA, it is is almost same. A techno functional guy is way better than a functional consultant.

I guess MBAs would help getting in sales/ marketing jobs in IT.

Lot of MBA guys end up being Associate consultants in IT Service industry. They don't become managers.
heck i have also seen some guys being asked to code :D
I guess MBAs would help getting in sales/ marketing jobs in IT.

Yes, those associates are the ones who follow the herd and go for MBA right after their BTech. That's why premier institutes require a certain amount of experience in your own field before offering you an MBA course.

there are two kinds of managers - one who possesses domain knowledge and the one who have just management skills. The kind of MBA guys you are referring to, falls in the second category. As MBA is a PG course, you can expect people from all kinds of background doing MBA.

And it's not true that MBA courses are meant for sales and marketing fields. There are all kinds of MBA programs. The one that makes you a superior manager or a CEO in IT, belongs to the executive class program. And needless to say, it's one of the costliest MBA programs.

Seems another option peeping, MBA :D :D

Doing MBA will surely give me an upperhand in my current business, and who knows with wifey coming in future, will start some big start-up in IT field :D :D

M.tech, i will love to do it, seeing the course, and i am getting more attracted towards it :p

I can only see the following benefits in Mtech, Backup plan as teacher, will get 2 year spare time to understand life and study before jumping into the race, a PG degree which surely help me in case i get into some Sarkari jobs :D

Seems another option peeping, MBA :D :D

Doing MBA will surely give me an upperhand in my current business, and who knows with wifey coming in future, will start some big start-up in IT field :D :D

M.tech, i will love to do it, seeing the course, and i am getting more attracted towards it :p

I can only see the following benefits in Mtech, Backup plan as teacher, will get 2 year spare time to understand life and study before jumping into the race, a PG degree which surely help me in case i get into some Sarkari jobs :D

If you are planning grow in your business you can looks at some courses at MBA colleges specific to entrepreneurship.
That would help you. I think there are some top colleges offering you such courses. I think you wouldn't be eligible for campus selections for such courses, as it is specifically for your business. That looks like a course for you.

But still remember some of the poster boys of entrepreneurial success--Bill Gates, Michael Dell, Mark Zuckerberg and Dhirubhai Ambani and many more. They didn't even complete graduation.
MBA doesn't give you the brains, rather it is only a tool, which you may need or not need.

I'm not really sure if people here are being serious. You are graduating as a Computer Science Engineer and instead of trying to venture different avenues, you seem to be thinking of obscure things like buying a house. I'm not sure how the financial condition of your family is, but, given that your parents are both teachers, you should be able to sustain for yourself if you choose to do a Masters. Something which further confuses me is that you are planning to take a job as a server administrator rather than trying to learn more about Engineering, Software, Systems, Networks, etc.

Something which further irritates me is that you consider teaching as a backup job, you being a family from teachers should respect the fact that teaching is one of the most important professions for this country, incompetent teachers are the reason we have students who learn more through rote rather than, understanding to practical applications of the material we read.

Let me list down the benefits of doing a masters from an IIT/IISc/IIIT
1> Broaden your horizon! Did you study subjects like Design and Analysis of Algorithms, Operating Systems, Compiler Construction, Networks, AI, Distributed Computing? At an IIT you would have professors who are at the forefront of research in these topics, if you actually study the statistics, there are a greater number of Masters students at an IIT than bachelors students, including MTechs, MS by Research, PhDs, MSc and students in the final year of a dual degree.

2> Learn the application of what you study, most tier 2 engineering colleges are still running the Borland C++ compiler. At any IIT you will truly understand the nitty gritty of Computer Science, you will learn to appreciate the Math behind it and how important it is for us today to optimize the algorithms that we use.

3> Research - IIT/IISc/TIFR are at the forefront of CS research in India, the labs and the projects that are done here simply amazing.

4> Placements - If you spend your time meticulously preparing for the GATE and really learning at IIT, I'm sure you will get a job at some of the best companies Google, Microsoft, Intel, Yahoo, Amazon, etc.

Currently, most companies are setting up amazing R&D centers in India, be it Microsoft, VMWare, Amazon or any other company. There is a need for engineers who are ready to solve tough technical challenges, people who are ready to work on open ended platforms rather than just develop applications.

Lastly, I must say that you should remove your preconceived notions and read more about what a Masters degree entails.

Read the answers here
http://www.quora.com/Indian-Institu...s-it-like-to-attend-IIT-as-a-graduate-student

PS : I am not studying at any of the colleges mentioned above.

Back