Budget 21-30k Planning to upgrade my PC - Does this look ok?

mav2000

Skilled
Hey guys. Still running a 3570k for many many years now. Am finally planning to update it soon. Does this sound good?

1. Ryzen 3100
2. Asus TUF b450 plus motherboard
3. Crucial Ballistix 3200 Mhz ram

Rest will be carried forward from the old PC for now. Did some research and found 3100 to be a value for money proccy. Also any advantages with going for a B550 board? Thanks,.

If you are planning to use this upgraded setup for a long time like you are using now, I'll suggest you to go for B550.
PCIe Gen4 is one of the main reasons along with support for future AMD CPUs
You can easily upgrade to a gen4 nvme in couple of years (for value proposition) along with any modern PCIe Gen4 GPU.
Also, go for 3300x if the budget permits. If not 3100 is still very good in its segment.

Primarily for games and browsing. Budget...as little as possible. This is working out to about 25k and I will add a new monitor and m2 sad later.

@NAV33N what would be the advantage of a 3300x over the 3100. Both look very similar in terms of core and thread count and cache.

3300x has 200 mhz higher base clock speed (3.6 Vs 3.8 Ghz) and 400 Mhz higher boost clock ( 3.9 Vs 4.3Ghz), it will be slightly better choice for gaming.

3300x has 200 mhz higher base clock speed (3.6 Vs 3.8 Ghz) and 400 Mhz higher boost clock ( 3.9 Vs 4.3Ghz), it will be slightly better choice for gaming.
Well not just the clock speeds the major difference between the two is the core architecture (hardware)
On paper they both have 4 cores and 8 threads but 3100 has 2 CCX with 2 cores 4 threads and 3300x has one CCX with 4 cores and 8 threads resulting in lower latencies and better IPC.
You may refer https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3581-amd-ryzen-3-3300x-cpu-review-vs-3100-clock-for-clock for detailed comparison.

Have got a local sale for a Ryzen 3500, am going ahead with that for now. Next up, motherboard. Guys any suggestions on a budget, decent quality b550 board?

Have got a local sale for a Ryzen 3500, am going ahead with that for now. Next up, motherboard. Guys any suggestions on a budget, decent quality b550 board?

if you are sticking to 3500 get b450 tomahawk as Chaos said. If you will upgrade in future, then b550 tomahawk or gaming edge if budget allows

I would say b450 Tomahawk or x570 Tomahawk ! I own both of them and they are best in their price class. b550 tomakawk, I would say nA !

Thanks guys. I will have a look and get back on the final config
The MSI B550 Gaming Plus seems to be a good bet at a decent price. Will this be fine guys?

Last edited:
So guys, after a lot of research and keeping what you guys told me in mind, I bought the following so far:

1. Ryzen 3500 - Bought this from another enthusiast - 7k
2. Gigabyte Auros Pro B550 - SP Road. I read quite a bit and saw a number of reviews. Finally it came down to the Tomohawk and the Auros Pro. The Auros Pro seems to have far better thermals in the price range that it is in. So I went for it. Cost me about 14k plus tax.
3. Crucial ballastix sport 3200 Mhz CL 16 - Amazon

I am retiring my liquid cooling setup as its a pain and hassle for me to manage it now. I dont have the kind of time I used to. So my future purchases are going to be a decent CPU cooler and a NVMe SSD. Any suggestions on these two are most welcome.

One of the good things to come out of this is, I am teaching my 12 year old son to build a computer from scratch. He is really enjoying the whole experience. And with the caselabs case, its really easy as well.

B550 Aorus Pro is a good board - I use it with a 5600x. Only apparent niggle is the USB 2.0 ports disconnecting which has been fixed in the latest bios. Be sure to update the bios.

As for cooling, pick up an AIO. I recently got a lian li 360mm AIO and it seems to be pretty well built - better than the run of the mill aseteks. They also have a 240mm which is more than enough for a 3500.

Don't go with b450 board anymore , they are not worth the money anymore , b550 is the way to go or b520 if u plan to stick with ryzen 3 even for upgrades , a good 520 board can even power r5 but u will miss overcloacking , also don't get r3 3100, buy 3300x , it has single ccx module that decreases latency and gives a healthy bump to performance

R3 3300x is faster than r5 3500, but the price u are getting it at is good , ur choice if u are fine with old hardware go for 3500

Went with a Gigabyte B550 Auros Pro with a 3500. Have used crucial 16gb of ram (8x2) and my older SSD's. Will update to an NVME one soon.

Finally went with a CM Hyper 212 Black RGB cooler, as it didnt make sense to run anything more powerful for this CPU.

While installing the CM 212, one of the screws below the motherboard broke....giving it back for RMA, but I am appalled at the quality of the screws they have sent. Also I feel the mounting setup is unnecessarily complicated. I may just ditch this and go for a Noctua.

Back