Playbook for $200, thoughts?

techie_007

Skilled
Title pretty much says it all I guess. Thinking to pick up a 7" 16gb BB playbook for $200. To be used for basic web browsing, some media playback. Anyone with experience using the playbook? Looking for feedback around the ui/graphics smoothness etc.

how is the smoothness of the interface compared against iOS n the ipad?

Sent from mobile

Don't own it but have used it once briefly. UI is pretty decent, however while browsing, playing music and opening a third app simultaneously there was low memory or out of memory or some message like that which is weird because i think it has a decent amount of RAM. media playback is excellent though including 1080p. camera seemed very good too.

Definitely worth it at 200$.

Buy the PB only if you will end up using its basic functions like web browsing, music etc etc.

But if at a later stage you want to tinker with it or something like it, then you will be out of luck as you cannot install any other OS or anything.

OT ... where are you getting it @200$? And are you importing thru SNS / ICC or someone carrying it to India from US?

ayanavish said:
OT ... where are you getting it @200$? And are you importing thru SNS / ICC or someone carrying it to India from US?

$200 is the price here in US for the 16GB version. Add SNS charges and duty etc for final cost.

Ordered two to play around with. only want for media n browsing, no tinkering. The price was too tempting!

Also I played around with 1 at reliance digital yday, pretty smooth UI actually, no lags or anything.

No sns, these will be carried over.

BlackBerry Smartphone maker Research In Motion (RIM) today reduced the Price of BlackBerry PlayBook tablet as a special festive season promotional offer for all its perspective buyers in Indian market.

The tablet features Wi-Fi support and is available in 16 GB, 32 GB and 64 GB models at festive season price of
Best Buy Rs. 13,200 /MRP Rs. 13490 (16 GB),
Best Buy Rs. 15700 / MRP Rs. 15990 (32 GB),
Best Buy Rs. 23,990 / MRP Rs. 24990 (64 GB).

Earlier it was priced at Rs. 27,990 (16 GB), Rs. 32,990 (32 GB) and Rs. 37,990 (64 GB).

BlackBerry PlayBook Price Reduced, Now 16 GB For Rs.13200

This is a limited offer up to 31st December ONLY! (As per all the news feeds)

Is it worth buying at this price (32GB)?
Need urgent advice as only a few days left to make decision?

I also wanted to know is it worth buying?

I was getting 64gb wifi ipad 2 for 34k.Is it worth going for 64 giga over this?

Dinesh_Malhotra said:
Please someone tell something about this deal..

even i feel like buying one. any comments will help for sure :)

regards

24 Hours With the BlackBerry PlayBook | PCWorld

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pla....,cf.osb&fp=ecda7b10fa540f1b&biw=1440&bih=686

All in all, PB (Wifi only) has a good hardware set backed by undercooked QNX OS and lack of app support. RIM have announced an OS upgrade to pacify the aggrieved early adopters , but it has been postponed by 8 months and current ETA is end of Feb 2012. At present the beta release is available for devs, which has support to an Android app player (currently supporting limited Android apps).

An Update on BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 «Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog

Will RIM meet the february launch of os2 for Playbook? | The Verge Forums

comp@ddict said:
I would go for a Touchpad for 15k instead. WebOS and CM7. Best of both worlds.
Wondering where you can get a Touchpad for 15k?

My dad wants a tablet for basic stuff, was thinking about getting the playbook when it goes on sale again. For him, the software and all doesn't really matter, he needs a tablet for browsing and some office work so the playbook would be fine. But if i can get the touchpad for the same price, I could tinker around with it to get Android on it instead :p

from where is US can you get a cheap playbook or touchpad?

Ebay n Amazon's prices are more or less same and much more than what is mentioned in this thread

Back