Please help me with my future studies confusion :P .

Hmm computer science is such a vast subject yea ? No breakdown of it for masters ?

Also as I said no time for internship cos I dont get enough holidays .. 20 days max I get between sems .. and after my 4th year I have to get admission asap ... but Ill see if I can manage to skip a year for internship and all .

And thanks for reminding me about projects . Ill do that :> . But published where exactly :p ? Also internship at IIT means what kind of work exactly ?

There are a lot of conferences which keep taking place - many of them aren't worth much, but its best to ask your faculty where you could publish your work, and you don't need to think about it right now. As for internships, I'm sure you'll have some period during your fourth year in which you are supposed to do some internship and you would get time off for that. And if you get an IIT intern you would probably end up coding a project as a part of some professors research :p which is pretty much what you can expect from research as an undergrad.

Dude simple thing join some comps community in ur college like IEEE(for electronics), participate in some TPP competitions(in other colleges and urs too) and robotics if u are interested. There is no use of this stuff but just to increase the size of ur package and show to the colleges u were very active and yet u scored some descent scores. Take up some workin posts in the community u join and work for the same.

Dont take so much tension even if u dont have much stuff u will get into a good college... some friends with 1000 gre score and no extra curricular activities got into USC (which is not that gr8 of a college but is considered a good one)

I still don't understand, if I had some 60-70 lakhs to throw around on my study(which if I'm not good at it).. why waste that much money on study.. give me 1 crore and I will pay you 1 lakh salary from today..

foruamit2004 said:
I still don't understand, if I had some 60-70 lakhs to throw around on my study(which if I'm not good at it).. why waste that much money on study.. give me 1 crore and I will pay you 1 lakh salary from today..

It's about ROI in the long term. If you invest say Rs.50 lacs in something, how much time before you get it back and THEN how much do you keep earning on a regular basis. It's a simple math you see!

amol_cool said:
You are probably saying that because you might have an experience of the so called "counselors" who just loot you and give you nothing which is why I said trusted counselor. By that I mean, one who really provides useful information which sites cannot. Good counselors are useful as they are in touch with their past students and thus you can get up to date knowledge about your university, their problems, funding scenario, jobs etc. Students who are already at the university you want to study can prove to be a great resource and counselors are the easiest way to get in touch with them (after friends and relatives).

Though most, but not all counselors are useless. You just need to be able to figure out that. However, if you really think you don't need a counselor and can manage everything on your own, then yea this can be skipped.
Actually, I never did use a counselor.
My academics were always average-above average.
I did all my research by myself and am now at a university that is pretty much the best in my field.

I also know a huge number of other folks like me, who never went to a counselor and are in pretty good places.
@whoever was talking about USC being crap, USC is still one of the top American universities simply because of the research that happens there. There have VERY GOOD faculty. Given that USC is private, it ends up being quiet expensive, fee wise. As has already been mentioned, pretty much 0% Master's students end up getting funded. As long as you don't mind paying for a good education, USC is right there with the best.

Funded as in Scholarship ? I doubt I'll be getting any scholarship looking at my 5 kts :/ ...

I heard from 2 of my friends this Karan Gupta counselor is really good in Mumbai . Well ofcourse he doesn't sit with you his people under him do =,= .... but still I'll think about counselor a little later .. around 3 year start .

Right now my 4th semester is going on .. actually it starts in 1 week .. so I dont have much time :X .

People who are telling me to chill and relax and take it slow well thats what Ive been doing all this while :p and time flew by like ... so fast D: ...

Can anybody help me with anything ? I mean like research papers/project or something I can be a part of ? I know basic coding .. ( like till my engg 3rd sem level ... I know data structures :p) .... thats all :X .. that also we had to "mug up" .. I mean some of them ... ..thats how they teach in mumbai univ colleges :/ .

funded as in scholarship.

I would suggest you concentrate on your academics. Especially given that you have KTs.
Given that you don't mind spending a little money, as long as your academics come upto scratch, you should be able to get into a decent school.

stalker said:
@whoever was talking about USC being crap, USC is still one of the top American universities simply because of the research that happens there. There have VERY GOOD faculty. Given that USC is private, it ends up being quiet expensive, fee wise. As has already been mentioned, pretty much 0% Master's students end up getting funded. As long as you don't mind paying for a good education, USC is right there with the best.

I totally agree with him on this. USC is still one of the "dream schools" of people in US and yes it IS one of the top universities especially for engineering. My cousin is a MS in Computer Science from USC (2008) and he is so happy with what he got there.

You will not get even a fatichar college in US with 1000 GRE score unless you have exceptional research or work record to show, but then with that record you can get into JHU etc too... lol.

@amol.. your calculation is wrong, atleast from my perspective. I will leave my JOB in a moment if I get 1 crore to throw around, which I can get in 10-15 years of my salary(out of which, probably will save some 5 lacs :p)

Guys will like participation certies of participating in those time pass college cultural/tech fest events be worth anything :p ?

^that I will do naa ... but these certies are a 1 day thing ... so I'm not really gonna waste a week or more on anything ... just 1 day will go in the fest . Just wanted to know if they do anything .. sad they don't . I'll try doing some projects .

Back