Please suggest a laptop for less than/equal to 50K

Okay guys! I had finalized the Sony Vaio VCCB15FG and was going to buy it today when I came to know that HP has announced they will release a fix for the OpenGL issue in their 61xx series soon. That issue was the reason I wasn't considering the 6121TX but if it is going to be fixed soon, then it comes back into the connection. The Dell XPS 15 has been ruled out, so that leaves these two. I'm linking to their Flipkart pages so that you can check the specs.

HP Pavilion DV6 Series DV6-6121TX

Sony VAIO C Series VPCCB15FG

Now, don't worry about the price. It's a matter of a few thousand bucks but I won't hold that against the DV6 while making a choice. What matters is everything else. The specs, the power, the performance and more.

1. The HP has a better processor, hands down.
  2. It has a much better GFX card too.
  3. Its speakers are better than Vaio's, but I'm going to get good headphones as it is - so this need not be a big issue.
  4. The Sony has a FullHD screen - but I don't know how much weightage to give that one. I've always used a 720p screen only, haven't experienced a FullHD yet.
  5. In terms of HDD, the HP has a bigger storage space but the Sony is faster. Space doesn't matter much to be because I have an external HDD. How much does the speed matter?
  6. The Sony offers 3yrs warranty (after extension), whereas the HP offers just 1yr. How big a factor is this? Will aftersales expenses for the HP be abominably high?
  7. I've heard some details about the HP having an overheating problem. Now, I download a lot and will keep the lappy on for long stretches at a time, but is the problem severe? Will a good cooling pad help solve it?
  8. What about build quality? The Vaio is made of plastic, isn't it? How about the HP?
  9. I've used the Vaio keyboard and liked it. How is the HP's keyboard?
  10. What about something miscellaneous? For example, the Vaio doesn't come with a drivers CD. Does the HP come with one? Is this worth bringing into consideration?

Okay, that's all the questions I can think of for now. Guys, please reply ASAP. This is URGENT as I'm going to buy the laptop today (or at max, tomorrow). Please help me decide!

I will advise you to go to some stores like croma,ezone,staples etc and have a look at both the models,vaio looks plasticky and HP is metallic, you can have a look at any HP dv6 series laptop,all of them have the same look and feel, regarding warranty: sony provide 3 yrs warranty and HP also used to give that but i am not aware of current situation,you can contact your nearest HP service centre before buying the laptop to confirm about HP extended warranty.

I contacted HP and asked them if they offered extended warranty for the 6121TX. They said no. That was a big enough factor for me to go ahead and purchase the Vaio, which I did today :)

So guys, thanks for all the help you've given me and the opinions you've offered and the questions you've answered! Wouldn't have gotten anywhere without you!

Back