Budget 0-20k Please suggest upgrading pc

sun14

Recruit
Nov 7, 2007
  1. Q: What is your budget?

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel P4HT 2.8Ghz
    • Motherboard - Intel 865 GBF
    • HDD Segate 500GB 7200rpm
    • GPU - Nvidia 6200FX LE 512 MB
    • RAM - Hynix 2x256 MB PC400
    • Monitor - Samsung LED SyncMaster SA300
    • SMPS - VIP 400W
    • Logitech Keyboard & MICE
    • Cabinet ATX
  3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • HDD Segate 500GB 7200rpm
    • Monitor - Samsung LED SyncMaster SA300
    • SMPS - VIP 400W
    • Logitech Keyboard & MICE

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - i5
    • Motherboard - any compatible Intel made motherboard
    • GPU - dont know what is the latest in market
    • Ram Corsair or Transcend 4 GB
    • Cabinet
  5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, final
    • RAM - 2X4GB
  6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Mumbai
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • HTPC
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Mobo intel orginal or gigabyte
  10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Racing
    • GTA IV
  11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1024x768
    2. Desktop - 1280x768
  12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit

ALPHA17

Cooler "Master"
Skilled
Jan 6, 2010
Delhi, India
@sun14 this is what I suggest --

Intel Core i3 2100 ~6500/-
Intel DH67-BL ~5500/-
Corsair XMS3 1600MHz OR G.Skill RIPJAWS 1600MHz module(s) 4GB x1 ~1700/-
AMD HD 7770 GHz edition ~8500/-
Cooler Master GX450W ~3200/- [get this SMPS, your VIP will not be able to take the load of the new RIG with the graphics card]

This overshoots your budget, but is the best you can get for ~20000/- <-->25000/-.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkAngel

Skilled
Apr 10, 2009
Better get a Seasonic S12II 430w ~ 3.3k
Also go for a better cabinet like the NZXT Gamma ~ 2.4k and if budget is tight you can go for the Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H motherboard ~ 3.2k

ALPHA17

Cooler "Master"
Skilled
Jan 6, 2010
Delhi, India
DarkAngel;1651631[B said:
]Seasonic S12II 430w ~ 3.3k[/B]
Also go for a better cabinet like the NZXT Gamma ~ 2.4k

Hello DarkAngel long time no see, how is your course coming along?

An explanation about certain options I gave OP --

Seasonic after sales service is a bit iffy, I have heard conflicting reports of excellent service in Bangalore [from mrcool63] and a few other posts show that the after sales in other areas is just not upto scratch. So that is why I recommended the Cooler Master GX450W which is not as bad as its elder siblings.

I missed out on the cabinet, thanks for catching me there.

For the secondary motherboard option, what do you think of the MSi H67MA-E35 ~4900/-?

Regards,
ALPHA17

sun14

Recruit
Nov 7, 2007
Thx for the suggestion guys as i am on tight budget i will keep the gfx card for next upgrade

some doubts

-will my old PSU work with the new cpu+mobo if i don't take the card also can you recommend a cabinet in Rs1500 range.

-I went to a local pc store ,owner was telling intel original mobo blow away the SMPS at Indian voltages,also intel has very bad replacement support is this true .?
he told me i3 2100 with Intel DH61WW combo ,is there much different between i3 2100/2120 and Intel DH61WW/Intel DH67-BL

ps i am in mumbai..

ALPHA17

Cooler "Master"
Skilled
Jan 6, 2010
Delhi, India
1. will my old PSU work with the new cpu+mobo if i don't take the card also can you recommend a cabinet in Rs1500 range.

2. I went to a local pc store ,owner was telling intel original mobo blow away the SMPS at Indian voltages,also intel has very bad replacement support is this true .? he told me i3 2100 with Intel DH61WW combo ,is there much different between i3 2100/2120 and Intel DH61WW/Intel DH67-BL
ps i am in Mumbai.

Hello Sun14, your answers answered serially as mentioned --

1. Yes the SMPS will work although I will not recommend the set-up. The main reasons we want you to go for a new SMPS are --
  • the Cooler Master GX series SMPS and Seasonic S12II unit are 80+ rated for efficient operation at various loads and temperatures, the internal electronic circuit design is better than the local SMPS [VIP, iBall, Zebronics] so the current delivered to components is cleaner [no sudden spikes in voltage] and more stable [constant current without drops]. This aids in increasing the life of your components and reduces the heat dissipated and energy loss in the workings of the PC.
  • the branded SMPS might be more expensive but they pay their own value several times over by facilitating smooth working of the system with minimal crashes, cases of data corruption and consuming lesser power.
  • due to the components getting stable power the component life is increased [again adding value to the set-up].

2. You are based in Bombay right, it will be better if you can visit Lamington Road. You options will be much better than what your "local" vendor wants to push onto you. Also --
  • No you can use Intel components with local voltages with no hassles, my Intel Pentium D + Intel DC102GCC motherboard are going strong in their 6[SUP]th[/SUP] year of yeomanry service [and it has transitioned to four different cities in that time].
  • Yes there is a big difference between the Intel DH61-WW and the DH67-BL, both are based on different chipsets. The former on the H61 chipset about which you can read here and the latter on the H67 chipset whose details can be found here. The H61 is a more basic chipset I will not recommend it openly as it lacks many of the features the senior H67 presents notably --

1. USB 3.0 support and two ports on the rear I/O panel.
  2. native SATA III support.

• I suggest that you stick with the suggestions that I and @DarkAngel have provided for motherboard and processor. There is not a great difference between the Core i3 2100 and 2120 apart from the fact the latter has been clocked a little higher @3.3 Ghz

As for a cheap effective cabinet, go for the Cooler Master eLite 310.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

Last edited by a moderator:

sun14

Recruit
Nov 7, 2007
Thanks a lot for clearing the picture :) btw i read today intel ivy bridge will be available in india soon so should wait till then or go ahead with the current 2nd gen

ALPHA17

Cooler "Master"
Skilled
Jan 6, 2010
Delhi, India
Thanks a lot for clearing the picture :) btw i read today intel ivy bridge will be available in india soon so should wait till then or go ahead with the current 2nd gen

The cheaper Core i3's and i5's will not be coming any time soon as thy are yet to release even outside India. For that matter even the chips that have released have not come in India. So all in all I suggest you go ahead with the Core i3 2100 platform that we have suggested you. Else, if you can wait till ~July-end you might see Ivy-Bridge and you can think about purchasing that as well.

sun14

Recruit
Nov 7, 2007
bumping a old thread.

@ALPHA17 does this config still stand or anything else has changed in market I need to consider again , earlier I was not able to get it thinking of upgrading this week :)

ALPHA17

Cooler "Master"
Skilled
Jan 6, 2010
Delhi, India
does this config still stand or anything else has changed in market I need to consider again , earlier I was not able to get it thinking of upgrading this week :)

Yes this configuration still holds, you can save cash by going for a GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H ~4500/- (motherboard) over the Intel DH67-BL.

For RAM modules go for Corsair Vengeance 2GB x2 1600MHz ~1800/-.
Corsair CX v2430W + Cooler Master eLite 310 / NZXT Gamma ~2700/- + 1500/- OR 2400/-

Rest configuration is go-ahead green, Cheerio!

P.S. -- thanks for bumping this thread instead of spawning a new one.