Linux Plex on Pi

LaatSahab

Skilled
I have a Raspberry Pi 4, 4GB version. It's operating in headless mode but I do access it's GUI through VNC Viewer. It's currently running Pi Hole server, Deluge Client as a Seedbox and Samba server for NAS duties. Now I was trying to install Plex on it, to access media on my MiTV through the Plex app on it. I was following the guide/tutorial from here;
After adding the repositories and issuing the install command, I got the messages as shown below in the screenshot and in the next step where the guy tells to open /etc/default/plexmediaserver file, it turns out to be an empty file. Given the errors in installation process and now this empty file, I didn't dare venture further as I spent my entire day yesterday recovering and setting up new torrent client as my earlier client Qbittorrent crashed. So please guide me to rectify these errors and also proceed further with setup of Plex.

From the screenshot, it seems plex installed correctly. You only need the additional dependencies for hardware acceleration etc. The package names are already mentioned during the install, OpenCl is not the valid package name, hence your `apt install OpenCl` failed.

I didn't watch the video, just the attached screenshot. I also have no experience with plex, I've been meaning setup a plex server for myself too, but never got around to actually doing it.

Don't know about plex but it looks straight forward. Try
Code:
sudo apt install beignet-opencl-icd, ocl-icd-libopencl1

I follow the below guide to install plex server on a 4GB Rpi4 but didn't get much success, Though I put 1TB HDD with power USB hub and all are USB 3.0. RPI4 directly connected with Ethernet Cable via Gigabit Port of the Router and the Router is Netgear Orbi 50 Mesh.

Tried with Amazon Fire TV 4K and Mi Box 4 all are in the same network - none of the files are 4K so far....but couple of them really having problem and I think the bottleneck here is Pi itself....If this work only with SSD then it is not much of use as of now until the large size SSD become cheaper.

Found some article where it say no trans code, just send the file to the device directly but didn't find the same option in the Plex Software.

My Pi boots from SD card and the media Plex accesses and serves on Network is stored on a 2TB External HDD connected to Pi over a USB 2.0 interface.
The Plex server serves media on the home network to devices running Plex client software which includes my Android TV and Android phone.
What is/are the specific issue(s) you are facing with Plex on Pi?

What is/are the specific issue(s) you are facing with Plex on Pi?

Thanks for the reply, The main issue I'm facing particularly in certain files - When the Play button clicked they are like buffering (I think) - The display shows the rotating circle symbol, It is like the same if Youtube Videos played if the network connection/speed face frequent disconnection. Like played some part then the rotating symbol, then 1 and 2 min then again.
Something similar like.

These particular files either 1080p/720p range.....I'm trying to play this in the same Home Network where the Pi is connected via Lan Cable and the client either MIBOX4 or Fire TV 4K via WiFi.

Has Pi been assigned a Static IP?
Try the following
Plex can transcode your videos so that they are playable on other devices. For example, desktop PCs and laptops normally have powerful processors that can handle most file formats, codecs, resolutions, and subtitles. However, mobile devices and set-top streaming devices may struggle. Therefore, Plex can alter your videos on-the-fly to ensure they are compatible with other gadgets.
The drawback of transcoding is that it's very CPU-intensive. If your Plex server is running on a non-dedicated computer, you probably don't want all your CPU's power to be eaten up. Even if you've got a dedicated server, you'll eventually reach its limits if many items are transcoding at the same time.
The solution is to tweak your transcoder's settings (Settings > Settings > Transcoder). There are three values you need to know about (click on Show Advanced to see them all):
*Transcoder Quality: You can determine the quality of the transcodes using the drop-down menu. The higher the quality, the slower the transcode will be.
*Background Transcoding x264 Preset: This setting determines the speed of background transcoding, for example when you're using Mobile Sync, Cloud Sync, or the Media Optimizer. The slower the transcode, the smaller the file size, and the higher the quality, but the slower the time.
*Maximum number of simultaneous transcode sessions: This is the most important setting for the majority of users. Logic dictates that the more simultaneous transcodes you allow, the bigger the strain on your CPU. Consider the power of your CPU, whether it's a dedicated server, and how many people will be streaming at the same time, and set a number accordingly. It might require some trial and error on your part.
Taken from here

Back