Windows Powershell causing 99% CPU n RAM utilization

Slayer88

Adept
Hi all,

My NUC7 (i3 and 4GB RAM) has started to freezing cause due to the poweshell services eating away at system resources. It's a relatively fresh install and is on a 250gb NVME drive.

I've run DISM, SFC, CC Cleaner, MRT and no issues have been found. Windows updates appear to be up to date. Any ideas?

TIA.

definitely virus if it happens after restart also. Therefore put fresh os after backing up only data. Don’t backup any application as it would ensure the virus coming along with it

Hi all,

My NUC7 (i3 and 4GB RAM) has started to freezing cause due to the poweshell services eating away at system resources. It's a relatively fresh install and is on a 250gb NVME drive.

I've run DISM, SFC, CC Cleaner, MRT and no issues have been found. Windows updates appear to be up to date. Any ideas?

TIA.
It's not exactly Powershell. It's any program started from Powershell. For eg if you started a batch file or a script via Powershell or CMD then task manager will show Powershell or CMD as process name.

Hi all,

TIA.
Also, check in scheduled tasks if any malware isn't triggering batch files or an infected exe in high priority..

Thanks , all!

@belictony - Want to avoid the hassle until i am sure it is a virus/malware. But yes, that's on the list as its simpler, but a hassle.

@Mr.J - Apart from task scheduled, is there a definitive way to see what's calling/triggering the PowerShell to execute?

Back