Other Precautions when submitting phone to the service center for repair

So, my Nokia G60 5G phone, which I bought not a long time ago, has developed a problem with the power button, and I have to get it repaired. I called up Nokia service center, and they said that it will take one day for the repair and I have to leave my phone. So, I wanted to ask what precautions should one take when dropping off the phone at the service center for a repair.

The first thing I think is to take out the SIM from the phone, and keep it with me, and use that for my backup phone.

Next, I plan to logout of my messengers, like Instagram, and Discord etc. Logout of Amazon app, and maybe uninstall it altogether.

Then, I plan to lock all file explorer apps, photo apps, messengers like Whatsapp, and Telegram, and lock PhonePe and Gmail too. Basically, anything related to my private info and data.

Any good app to lock the apps with a password?

But, they can always install other photo or file explorer apps. So, should I take out the private data like photos and videos, and backup on my PC?

Any other precaution to take?

Just backup your data, switch off the phone and give it to them.

Why do you think they can switch on and unlock your phone without you giving them the password? And if they can, why do you think they can't unlock your app locks? Either they can do both or neither.

As long as your phone is locked, data cannot be read off of it even after connecting it to a PC. This, of course, assumes that your phone is encrypted. Encryption has been enabled by default for a while now in Android.

Backup your data just in case something goes wrong and data is lost after repair.
If too paranoid then factory wipe it before handing over.

I would just handover as-is without removing any security after backing up. If they insist on removing security (some do) then you have to wipe it for your own safety.

Thank you everyone for the advice. Very good advice by all of you.

Yea, once I had posted, I had a thought about backing up the phone too, in case something happens, just to be safe.

Turning phone off and giving to them is also a good idea. But, since it is a power button issue, I will have to keep the phone on, to show them how it causes issues. Have to replicate the problem there. I hope the problem occurs before them... it should lol... since it occurs for me. But, now I don't use the power button at all.

After showing them the problem, I can always lock the phone and give it to them, and they shouldn't be able to open it. But, I think it will be better to factory reset it and give it to them... that will put my mind at ease. Although, it means, I will have to setup my phone again once I get it back, but small price to pay considering my privacy and data.

I am not sure if my phone is encrypted. I didn't do it myself. If it is encrypted by itself, then that's good.

As I know it, once u connect the phone to the PC, you have to open the phone and put it in file transfer mode, in order to transfer files to and fro from the phone.

What if the phone doesn't turn on?
Like you were using the phone, someday it turns off and never turns on again. So we decide to give it to service center for repair.
In this case, what precautions can be taken?

What if the phone doesn't turn on?
Like you were using the phone, someday it turns off and never turns on again. So we decide to give it to service center for repair.
In this case, what precautions can be taken?
Make sure you were using password/pin lock already so the next time it turns on it can't be unlocked without it.

Make sure you were using password/pin lock already so the next time it turns on it can't be unlocked without it.
yes, there is a pin (number based) set to it.
Longback I remember (before covid time), one service center asked us to submit the password as well. We didn't though and had to visit multiple times till issue is solved.

Why would they need password to solve a hardware issue? Good thing you didn't give them the password.
Some companies have designed a software app to test hardware components working once installation/repair is done. To install & check they ask you to submit unlocked device. So it's better to get backup & give them resetted phone rather than giving password or any data. Personal experience with Xiaomi k20 pro when I replaced the battery last year.

But, I think it will be better to factory reset it and give it to them... that will put my mind at ease. Although, it means, I will have to setup my phone again once I get it back, but small price to pay considering my privacy and data.
Google's default backup solution (Settings>System>Backup) does a good job of it. I tried it recently when cleanflashing my phone to a new ROM, it put all of my apps back as they were, including all the shortcuts and folders I had on the home screen.
You may need to login again and reconfigure some apps, but overall it's not as painful as it used to be, for me at least. For app configurations, some have an export/import function for settings which you can use.

Google's default backup solution (Settings>System>Backup) does a good job of it. I tried it recently when cleanflashing my phone to a new ROM, it put all of my apps back as they were, including all the shortcuts and folders I had on the home screen.
You may need to login again and reconfigure some apps, but overall it's not as painful as it used to be, for me at least. For app configurations, some have an export/import function for settings which you can use.

Thanks for this. But, I read, it will save all photos and videos, and SMS messages, contacts and all that.

I don't want backup of all... can it be configured to backup just the apps and app data? I didn't see any options for configuration.

I don't want my photos, videos, sms and all on Google backup online.. I don't trust these people with my data. All that backup will take a lot of time anyways.

Contacts are already backed up on Google account, so that's okay. For SMS and call logs, I have a separate app to back them up. For photos, videos and other data, I will back them to PC myself. I just need to backup apps and app data. Like, for an Auto Clicker I have for a game, it is very hard to setup that configuration for that particular game, and there is no way to backup that configuration in the app... so I would like some way to backup that app data, so I don't have to re-do it again. If I can do that, that will be really helpful.

I might be going on a different tangent here, but contrary to popular beliefs, Nokia phones always had shit-tier build quality. Two of my previous Nokia phones (6080 and Lumia 630) developed SIM slot issues out of the blue, while the other (5233) fell apart within 3 years of usage.

And this was before HMD Global came into the picture. So, can't expect any worse than that. Also, buying a Snapdragon 695 chipset for 30K should be a straight-up crime.

Why would they need password to solve a hardware issue? Good thing you didn't give them the password.
It happened today as well. I gave my other android phone and they asked for 2 days to check what the issue is, very limited employees for a service center in t-1 city.
After submitting, they gave a paper and asked me to write pin. I denied and they insisted it. I denied again and said once the phone powers on you inform me or else reset. The service center receptionist asked, "we need pin for resetting also I think sir". I might have done some mistake giving the phone here. Let's see.

Yea, if they want to reset, they will need the pin I think, since they will have to do it from the Settings.

But, I think, a factory reset can also be performed by going into the safe mode, which is done by booting the phone with some power and volume buttons combination.

But you are correct in denying them the pin. Also, if someone does want to give the pin to a service center, I think they should change their usual pin and replace with another, because our usual pin are the numbers we use most, and we remember it by associating those numbers from our life, so it is easy to remember.

I do factory reset before going to service center.
If custom rom installed then I flash stock ROM without doing any setup.
backup is important.

I have seen Realme and Xiaomi service center ask users to open screen lock, pin, pattern, password or write it down on paper, they argue that this information needed by technician for checking any modifications are done outside service center or not.

I have seen Realme and Xiaomi service center ask users to open screen lock, pin, pattern, password or write it down on paper, they argue that this information needed by technician for checking any modifications are done outside service center or not.
Did a battery replacement at Xiaomi last year in April. Phone was obviously out of warranty and also using custom ROM. They did ask for PIN but it took barely 20 minutes for them to return it to me after replacement.

Back