PC Peripherals Printers: Canon MP145 or HP F2418 which is better

Hi guyz;

i'm thinking of buying an All in One Printer.

there are two chices around

Canon MP145
HP F2418

which one is worth buying. can any one tell me which one is more userfriendly.

How many pages it can print on a catridge and wat would be the catridge cost.

What is the Duty Cycle? hp says it has 1000 pages duty cycle. could any one explain..

thanks in advance..

I m using canon mp160 and would say staqy away from canon as after some refill the printer comes to know the cartridge is being sabotage(refilled)..and it locks all function....

Everytime i have to reset the printer to use even for scanning stuff

Do google to know whether your model also face same problems or not

Cartridge are horribly priced ard 1.5-2k ard..most of it original

hey i bought the canon mp145 last week for 3100rs.i chose it over the hp bcoz of the image/print quality.the cartridge does last longer in the canon according to the dealer and he insisted on buying genuine cartridges only for the canon - these cartridges are easily available everywhere.also the functions are very simple on the canon select cartridge colour on the panel (choose among colour and black) and there's a scan button if you plan to manually set the printer/use the scanner or else you've got the software mode where you can select everything one click.(tht's the name of the software-one click)

the software bundle is good too---you get scan soft omni software--ocr for the scanner.also i found it to be cheaper than the hp which costs 300rs more.

^^ yeah, but what about running cost for the canon..i also enquired about refilling canon AIOs ..the original cost as much as Magnet says..even the good quality refills from refill world cost about 900-1000 bucks...i had a budget of 5-6k for AIO this festive season...but stil cannot make up what to buy...mayb i will end up not buying anything at all
AFAIR..these 2 models of canon & HP r available at discount price at ebay.in currently..i think HP would be better in the practical running reality of a printer & copier,even if scanning is taken on par!

MAGNeT said:
I m using canon mp160 and would say staqy away from canon as after some refill the printer comes to know the cartridge is being sabotage(refilled)..and it locks all function....

Everytime i have to reset the printer to use even for scanning stuff

Do google to know whether your model also face same problems or not

Cartridge are horribly priced ard 1.5-2k ard..most of it original

You chose to hamper your printer's performance by using re-filled cartridges (inspite of the fact that Canons have an issue with the same) and now you ask others to stay away from it because of that!? :S

I've been using a Canon AIO (MP180) for quite sometime and it continues to function flawlessly (TW). Needless to say, I've been using original cartridges (b/w : ~ .9K & clr : 1.1K) as recommended. A little effort from your side and you can finds shops that sell them at a decent price. What's more? You also get a get a higher capacity compared to similarly priced HP cartridges.

If you had the intention of re-filling cartridges, you should have bought a printer that is known to work well with the same. Most HPs do.

The place where you get your cartridges re-filled also matters.

I have used Canon color printers in the past and was very happy with it. It's cartridge lasts longer than other brands. Also color printouts were good and printing was fast.

I would recommend Canon over HP or Epson.

Whatever printer you buy, please see that it is multi-cartridge and not single one. So that if one color gets over, you can just replace that one color rather than the whole cartridge. It will be cheaper.

rajndra said:
I have used Canon color printers in the past and was very happy with it. It's cartridge lasts longer than other brands. Also color printouts were good and printing was fast.

I would recommend Canon over HP or Epson.

Whatever printer you buy, please see that it is multi-cartridge and not single one. So that if one color gets over, you can just replace that one color rather than the whole cartridge. It will be cheaper.

Most have two separate (B.W & Colour) cartridges.

IIRC, Only the Epson Stylus range of AIOs have individual ink cartridges.

thetoxicmind said:
You chose to hamper your printer's performance by using re-filled cartridges (inspite of the fact that Canons have an issue with the same) and now you ask others to stay away from it because of that!? :S

I've been using a Canon AIO (MP180) for quite sometime and it continues to function flawlessly (TW). Needless to say, I've been using original cartridges (b/w : ~ .9K & clr : 1.1K) as recommended. A little effort from your side and you can finds shops that sell them at a decent price. What's more? You also get a get a higher capacity compared to similarly priced HP cartridges.

If you had the intention of re-filling cartridges, you should have bought a printer that is known to work well with the same. Most HPs do.
The place where you get your cartridges re-filled also matters.

When i bought my printer i haven't heard about this issues...

Cartridges are chipped by canon stuff started from the same series which i got.

Regarding cartridges rate yup i guess i got it wrong.But sometime bak i asked and the guy gave me that rate.But yup it was a local stationary

But being an occasional printer user i m still not ready to pay 25% of the printer amount on its cartridges .

And if a person is not ready to play with resetting stuff..what is wrong if i give my Point of View

I just shared a fact about canon which is hardly known to people .

i had a very old canon bubblejet colour bj200 series back from 1998 i think which worked as long as i used original cartridges once the refilled cartridges were used--i found a drop in print quality/the number of pages being printed per cartridge dropped by a huge margin.and finally refilled cartridges killed my canon bj-200sp printer.

i prefer canon over hp---bcoz i prefer quality.

and b/w cartridges for a canon retail for 800--1000rs and colour cartridges are a bit more expensive by about 300--400.

refilled cartridges just kill your printer and cost you a lot more in the long run.

MAGNeT said:
When i bought my printer i haven't heard about this issues...

Cartridges are chipped by canon stuff started from the same series which i got.

Regarding cartridges rate yup i guess i got it wrong.But sometime bak i asked and the guy gave me that rate.But yup it was a local stationary

But being an occasional printer user i m still not ready to pay 25% of the printer amount on its cartridges .

And if a person is not ready to play with resetting stuff..what is wrong if i give my Point of View

I just shared a fact about canon which is hardly known to people .

^ My statement was simply directed towards the fact that you should have simply mentioned that "Canons' don't work well with re-filled cartridges" RATHER THAN asking them to stay away from Canon's products, which actually perform well. ;)

Re-filling cartridges is at the owner's risk, not something the manufacturer should be held responsible for.

thetoxicmind said:
^ My statement was simply directed towards the fact that you should have simply mentioned that "Canons' don't work well with re-filled cartridges" RATHER THAN asking them to stay away from Canon's products, which actually perform well.

Re-filling cartridges is at the owner's risk, not something the manufacturer should be held against.

Point noted...:)

afaik even the newer HP models have chips on cartridges which tell the printer if the cartridge has been refilled before ... even these have to be reset.

I've got the MP145 and so far havn't had the need to refill, but the demo cartridges provided can be refilled 3-4 times atleast according to a local refiller I had a talk with.

best way is to refill before the cartridge is completely empty.

thexfactor said:
afaik even the newer HP models have chips on cartridges which tell the printer if the cartridge has been refilled before ... even these have to be reset.

I've got the MP145 and so far havn't had the need to refill, but the demo cartridges provided can be refilled 3-4 times atleast according to a local refiller I had a talk with.

best way is to refill before the cartridge is completely empty.

yup even i have heard that...

Sometime bak i asked about certain inks available on ebay or distributor for self refill but got no reply...

Anyways i better ask in another topic else this thread will lead to new dimension

Canon was the first company to introduce multi-cartridge (4 ink tanks for 4 colors: Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black ). I meant this, when I said multi-cartridge, not 2 cartridge (ie Color & B.W) .

Epson followed later.
thetoxicmind said:
Most have two separate (B.W & Colour) cartridges.
IIRC, Only the Epson Stylus range of AIOs have individual ink cartridges.

Hi. I Appreciate all your responses.

I have asked about how much prints i can make with a Catridge also.

Could any one answer that too. thanks guyz..

Back