Problem with Dataone

janitha

Adept
For the first time in 3 years I am having a problem with Dataone. Yesterday I upgraded my mobo and CPU and did a fresh install after format. (which btw, I do every 2-3 months) Now, in addition to the dataone icon in the task bar, there is another similar one with an exclamation (!) in a yellow triangle which says " LAN - Limited or no connectivity". The repair option also doesn't work with a report saying some problem with IP address. Dataone works, but like the old dial up. Pl help.

In your LAN properties do you have the option selected called "Obtain IP address automatically" ? and also need to enable DHCP in your DSL modem/router...

Set ipaddress of your router to 192.168.1.1 and the ip of your computer to 192.168.1.1, subnet as 255.255.255.0 and default gateway as 192.168.1.1

Set up dataone connection in pppoe mode.

Hacker said:
Set ipaddress of your router to 192.168.1.1 and the ip of your computer to 192.168.1.1, subnet as 255.255.255.0 and default gateway as 192.168.1.1

Set up dataone connection in pppoe mode.

It is already in PPoE mode.

set ip address of your comp to 192.168.1.2 not 192.168.1.1

add your comps lan address in router settings if your using dlink 502t.

also two icons come only if you are using bridge mode with lan or using usb conection to connect and having onboard lan idle i think.

6pack said:
set ip address of your comp to 192.168.1.2 not 192.168.1.1
add your comps lan address in router settings if your using dlink 502t.

also two icons come only if you are using bridge mode with lan or using usb conection to connect and having onboard lan idle i think.

I have been and still using the same Huwai modem for the last 3 years. Also when connected, it is being shown as PPoE. Never used USB connection but LAN only. Earlier and now also using onboard LAN.

janitha said:
I have been and still using the same Huwai modem for the last 3 years. Also when connected, it is being shown as PPoE. Never used USB connection but LAN only. Earlier and now also using onboard LAN.

you are using a dialer to connect or internet connects automatically when you log into windows?
cause most bsnl peolple always configure in bridge mode. never in ppoe mode.
they make a shortcut on desktop for the dataone connection which brings up the dialer.

In Bridge mode, you require windows dialer to connect it to internet whereas in PPPoE mode, you have to give username and password in modem settings itself (192.168.1.1) and no dialer is required in PPPoE mode and internet is always on.

@ janitha and greenhorn,
for problems getting ip address in xp sp2
run this at the command prompt. (Start -> run->cmd)

netsh int ip reset mylog.txt
reboot.
post back ur observations.

if this does not work then to reset winsock
run this from the command prompt
netsh winsock reset catalog

@greenhorn
Myself with SP3 and upto date patches.
@6pack
Using with dialer and no automatic connection.
@stud123
May be it is bridge mode, but the Dialer details says" Device name - WAN Miniport PPOE" and " Device Type - PPoE"

It's in bridge mode. If your networks settings are set to get IPs automatically and it's still not working, try the latest drivers for ur adapter. If that's also a no-go, get another ethernet card and try. Also, u might try resetting ur modem before anything else. Since it's the modem offered by BSNL and u r using dialer mode, u shouldn't need to do anything else with the modem settings.

As an aside, if u format your machine so much, why don't u make an image of ur OS partition after it's set the way u want? That way u can always jump back to that state. I do that to all my machines. Saves a lot of time and time IS money :).

there's no problem in your bsnl connection.

just click on the lan connection (that shows limited or no connectivity) and in properties deselect show icon in notification area. since its not being used no need to show it in the taskbar.

6pack said:
there's no problem in your bsnl connection.

just click on the lan connection (that shows limited or no connectivity) and in properties deselect show icon in notification area. since its not being used no need to show it in the taskbar.

Right click does not give any such option. Only disable, status, repair etc.

6pack said:
^^ left click.

It gives "Local Area Connection Status" with provisions to disable, repair etc. Repair doesn't work, as I mentioned earlier. Disable makes the icon disappear, and with it Dataone icon and connection are also gone. Then I have to enable the network from the Device Manager.

Back