Project Looking Glass

NeXgeN

Disciple
Project Looking Glass by Sun Microsystems: A Revolutionary Evolution of Today's Desktop

Get Ready to Use Your Imagination! :clap:

What if windows were translucent so that you could see the multiple windows you're working on at the same time? What if you could tack a note to yourself right on the Web page you're viewing? What if your CD or movie database became a 3D jukebox, where titles were joined with images to make finding what you want easier than ever?

Sun Microsystems' latest innovations by its Advanced Software Technology Team will make these "what-ifs" a reality for the desktop of the near future. Code named Project Looking Glass, these Java technology-based developments will bring 3D windowing capabilities to the desktop to offer a far richer user experience for work and play. But, it's not only about looks, it's about creating an engaging user experience, one that can make communications and collaboration even easier.

In the prototype, windows displaying applications are no longer stacked upon each other with flat icons and buttons to represent them; they are viewed in a 3D environment and manipulated as 3D objects. We are moving beyond the boundaries of old environments to revolutionize the use of the desktop.

Homepage
Screenshots
Tutorial

Good find, NeXgen. Looks amazing. But it remains to be seen how fast it will really be. Java graphics are not so hot speed wise. All that eyecandy is bound to make the "experience" so painfully slow that we will probably go back to our native desktops after giving it a twirl.

Don't miss the demo also. It is quite interesting..
View demo

Fr0z3n posted 25.73 minutes later:

Here are the requirements for the project looking glass. Guess i cannot install as i have only 256 rab :(

Component Linux Platform
Operating System Project Looking Glass has been tested on Windows 2000 and Windows XP
CPU 1.4 GHz or faster recommended
RAM 512MB recommended
Graphics Card 3D accelerated graphics card, with at least 16MB VRAM and driver support for OpenGL, version 1.2 or greater.
16bit or 32bit color.

Tested cards:

* ATI Mobility Radeon
* ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
* NVIDIA GeForce4/6600/6800
* Intel 855GM/915G

Disk Space 250MB

Well recommended isn't usually = "enough to get it working". So u shld be comfy I guess. A few tweaks should guarantee a decent experience. :) Though of coz there's one word which could throw that theory to the wind - Java. Hell even the supposedly liter skins on Limewire make my sys cough. (Sure it's just a PIII and about ten dozen megs, but still)

Project looking glass is what SUN boasts of , for its sun desktop system, in particular . Read a whole lot of reviews on that , but with the introduction of AIGLX and compiz , i feel their developments would provide better , faster and more efficient solutions to the 3d desktop craving eyes of end users.

It is a very very old project..... almost 2 years..... I used it.... after that I removed it.... It looks good but not good while actual working.

i tried it 1 year back i guess ..... it was a live CD .... and its very slow due to java ...... needs a very fast rig :)

Back