Project Suggestions pls.... ;)

Srirama

Adept
Hi Guys,
Im studying in 2nd year CSE , i recently enrolled in this mini-project competition.
It is set for for the 4th february.
I am proficient in C and C++.:ashamed:
I'm open to learning Java and J2ME,so as you can see i am software oriented guy. ;)
I dont want to deal with electrical and electronic stuff.:no:

So i would like some creative suggestions,i really want to win this one.

So pls pour in your suggestions :clap: ;)

Regards,
Sriram

STRANGE !!! You enrolled in a competition to win and you didn't have any idea. :O

We can suggest some topics, but can't assure that you will win. YOU need to be innovative and creative to do something special and unique than others so that you can win.

Anyway, let us know more detail about the 'mini project competition' so that we can think some appropriate.

sabby said:
STRANGE !!! You enrolled in a competition to win and you didn't have any idea. :O

We can suggest some topics, but can't assure that you will win. YOU need to be innovative and creative to do something special and unique than others so that you can win.

Anyway, let us know more detail about the 'mini project competition' so that we can think some appropriate.

hi sabby,
the thing is my ambition is to win,but i dont mind not getting prizes after putting in my best efforts.
Im very much software oriented.
The original contest has no restrictions,just to be innovative and creative as you said so clearly ;)

I want to do the project software oriented,i have time till feb 4.

Thanks for ur inputs sabby

Make a Network Monitoring System.

It gives a lot of scope to be creative, uses protocols like TCP, ICMP, SNMP v1, 2, 3 at least & you can make a smart GUI for the data you collect, and keep options for reporting etc.

It can serve as a good showcase for CSE & Related Knowledge.

Else, make a fractals proggie based on a complex equation etc etc

axeman said:
Make a Network Monitoring System.

It gives a lot of scope to be creative, uses protocols like TCP, ICMP, SNMP v1, 2, 3 at least & you can make a smart GUI for the data you collect, and keep options for reporting etc.

Easier said than done :bleh:. I'm sure it'd require minimum 3 months of full concentration on it.

srirama said:
I am proficient in C and C++.
Now, that's a really bold statement.

axeman said:
Else, make a fractals proggie based on a complex equation etc etc
Phooey :Comp3::dead::crazy:

I donno much about programming, or the scope of the project. Just "pouring" in some ideas that you can look into. Do something small, and elegant, without too many buttons, and minimal user input. It should do a lot once you feed something small in. This would have considerably impact, as it would seem that the program is working harder than it really is.

As in put in a word, or a phrase, and the program draws a chart based on inputs from the web. Or even without any inputs. Say something like a visual ticker of live google searches going on from India, or a spinning globe, with small twitter-birds flying out, with speech bubbles of current tweets from around the world. Maybe if the user gives an input, all the tweets related to the input show up in the map.

If you cannot interface with the web, a software to control the tags, names and directory structure of music would be great. What would be amazing is if there is just one button that goes "do it", and it fixes tags of music files based on the file names, and arranges them into directories without any user input whatsoever. Ok, maybe one tiny button where all the options are hidden. There are software that do some of these things, but you have to feed in the basic options, and in one operation, draw the tags from the files, and then the file names from the tags in the next, not both together based on logic. This can get tricky though, although you will have one set of rules for the output, you will have to think of all the possible ways the files will be messed up in for the input.

If the judges will actually look at the code, try pulling some stunt like a typical snake or guess the number game in something like 20 lines of code or less.

If you can explain what kind of project it is to non programmers, you may probably get more ideas.

Srirama said:
Its that I only know C and C++ :tongue:

I said that because not even the Pro C/C++ programmers would rate themselves above 8/10, because there's just so much to it. :p

There's always that small bit - which they might not know.
I'm telling you, C/C++ is quite funny. I've seen people getting screwed at interviews after they graded themselves about 7/10 on C/C++. 'Think before you speak' is the only quote that I can pull up for now :D

=CrAzYG33K= said:
I said that because not even the Pro C/C++ programmers would rate themselves above 8/10, because there's just so much to it. :p

I'm telling you, C/C++ is quite funny. I've seen people getting screwed at interviews after they graded themselves about 7/10 on C/C++. 'Think before you speak' is the only quote that I can pull up for now :D

haha.... thats true. sometimes claming a 8/10 is :death: in interviews.

=CrAzYG33K= said:

booo said:
haha.... thats true. sometimes claming a 8/10 is :death: in interviews.
Very Very True. I have faced tough interview questions, when i said i knew 'C'. They just rip you apart. You see just know bubble sort and ability to make Fibonacci series program made me think i knew 'C' and so was the result :death:

you can use Fbus protocol to connect to Mobile phone.

Have Basic Feature like

1. Display Phone details

2. Reading/Writing PhoneBook

3. Read/Send SMS ( This could be big thing )

4. Reading/Writing Phone Gallery

Search on google about gnokii and Fbus protocol

What about getting your hands dirty with some Android development? That way you will learn Java also. If you have Mac, iphone development will be even better. But since the initial investment is high, fall back on Android. This is a very hot field and Android app development is surely going to add to your resume. Look around for Android project ideas.

Back