iOS Pros and Cons of using eSIM

kg_87

Disciple
seeking feedback from people using eSIM! What are the pros and cons of eSIM?

Reason for asking: I want to get rid of 2nd phone and use my primary phone Iphone 11 Max pro as dual sim phone. I have an Indian providers' eSIM and am planning to use Canada providers' Physical SIM in the same phone.

What could exactly go wrong with eSIM? any signal reception issues or data issues?

Thanks in advance.

The biggest con is that for eSim, if you are looking for prepaid, Jio is the only option. Airtel only provides eSim for postpaid and VI only provides eSIM for postpaid that too only in some selected circles. Apart from that, I don't think it will make any difference in reception or call quality.

Also bear in mind that if you change your sim slot for your existing SIMs, certain services like UPI will stop working and if you are abroad, then its difficult to activate them back.

I had eSIM in Pixel 3 of Airtel Postapaid
Empty SIM slot but it still was single SIM only
No physical SIM you are restricted to that number in that device only . Another SIM in SIM slot OS will ask which to be used eSIM or physical
Airtel eSIM procedure damn easy . Only SMS to be sent
No Signal reception or data issue .

seeking feedback from people using eSIM! What are the pros and cons of eSIM?

Reason for asking: I want to get rid of 2nd phone and use my primary phone Iphone 11 Max pro as dual sim phone. I have an Indian providers' eSIM and am planning to use Canada providers' Physical SIM in the same phone.

What could exactly go wrong with eSIM? any signal reception issues or data issues?

Thanks in advance.
No pros and cons - works exactly like a physical SIM.
It's just that instead of physically adding one, you scan a QR code.

Swapping phones is a little more cumbersome - but if that is something that you do not do very often then there really isn't much to differentiate

I read somewhere that banking apps etc. do not recognize SIM if you use eSim. Your primary number linked to banking apps need to be as primary physical SIM.
I have never used eSim or dual sim so no idea.

I read somewhere that banking apps etc. do not recognize SIM if you use eSim. Your primary number linked to banking apps need to be as primary physical SIM.
Can you post a source? Or confirm that?
I am planning to move out of India and was going to convert my Jio sim to eSIM so that I can get a physical sim in the new country. Getting OTPs and UPI is important.

I am planning to move out of India and was going to convert my Jio sim to eSIM so that I can get a physical sim in the new country. Getting OTPs and UPI is important.

I don't think you should be facing issues with receiving OTPs but UPI not sure and banking apps that require SIM to be inside phone. I am trying to find source but definitely read on forums and such.
I understand the need have both SIM in same phone but if it not bothersome, I suggest different phones. Also once outside India, I am guessing you will be using Indian number very sparsely only to receive texts and such. So just get a cheap android or use an existing and keep with you.

Should likely not be the case as I doubt if the phone API will tell an app if sim is embedded or physical.

having said that, my e-sims are for secondary numbers and the banking phone numbers being old are all physical.

This will actually be difficult to validate without trying as I think majority of esim users will have physical sim slot in use for their typically older primary number

only con is if you delete the eSIM (for whatever reason) or reset the phone, you'll need a new QR code. I don't know if it's free here though.

There is no difference between esim and physical sim..
Have never faced single issue in past 2 years..
The only down side is if your phone is dead and your need other phone then you need to go to gallery to transfer esim to physical..

I can confirm first hand that it resulted in issues with HDFC and IndusInd apps in the least. However, it was only for UPI registration which requires sending of a SMS message for registration. The ICICI app invokes the SMS app just fine with the code, so it is technological ignorance at play for some of the banks. However, the apps themselves work fine for normal banking.

I spent months escalating the issue with both the banks before they recognised the issue. Haven't checked recently if they have updated their apps to work with eSIM for UPI but I suppose not.

Public bank apps are garbage and HDFC is notorious for quality of its Tech operations. My main concern would be if PhonePe or PayTM stops working.

Public bank apps are garbage and HDFC is notorious for quality of its Tech operations. My main concern would be if PhonePe or PayTM stops working.
Most of the fintech firms are on top of the technology, so wouldn't expect issues in that regard. Dealing with PSU banks and tech-laggard banks like HDFC will forever be an issue because they never bother to set their house right by sticking with low-cost outsourcing.

The main issue I feel with an eSIM is the portability. Say your main phone got damaged and you want to use your backup phone or you are just swapping your phone, then a physical SIM will be a quick swap. But for an eSIM, it will be a longer process. Other issue is the service provider. Jio and Airtel are providing eSIMs for all customers but Vi is giving eSIM only in a specific region and that too only for postpaid.

Back