Black_Hawk

Skilled
Hello Folks,

This is going to be a slightly longish post so kindly bear with me...

My PS3 (Super Slim) is connected to my monitor via HDMI. So, about 2 weeks ago I installed Infamous 1 on my PS3. When I started to play it post installation my PS3's display suddenly went out. Black screen, no signal. The green light on the PS3's power button stayed ON but monitor didn't get any signal. Restarting PS3 didn't solve the problem. I then turned the PS3 and monitor OFF and de-plugged both of them from the power outlet for an hour. After an hour I turned the PS3 back ON and somehow magically the video signal came back and I was able to continue on with my gaming. Completed Infamous 1 over a span of 2 weeks without the issue cropping up again for the entire length of that period. I thought whatever the issue was it had auto-resolved.

But very few problems go away on their own...

Having completed Infamous 1 I proceeded to install Infamous 2 a couple of nights back and post installation when I started playing the game the same problem of no video signal suddenly popped up again and this time with a vengeance! Blistering Barnacles!! The monitor was not getting any video signal whatsoever even after repeated hard ON/OFF cycles, de-plugging the power and Reset attempts. Since the PS3 didn't show any video output via HDMI I couldn't really see a reset screen option menu at all.

Now, last evening I was able to hunt down the PS3 Composite cable that came with my PS3 Super Slim and connected the PS3 to a TV via the Composite cable and immediately the TV picked up a signal and the PS3 was up and running with perfect video signal. Of course via Composite cable the output was at a miserable looking 480i but it was definitely something that cheered me up after only getting black screen and no video signal via HDMI port on my monitor. Tested HDMI connection on TV as well from the PS3 and it was back to no signal.

Tried the following things to troubleshoot the problem on HDMI as well:

- Tested with other HDMI cables.

- Chose HDMI as output preference after connecting PS3 to TV via Composite cable. Switched from AV to HDMI on TV but nothing. Removed Composite cable from PS3 and used HDMI cable to connect PS3 to TV but got no display after resetting PS3 to default.

- Kept PS3, Monitor, OFF for a few hours/ overnight (completely de-plugged from power outlets) and checked after connecting everything. No display via HDMI cable.

This now makes me believe that the PS3's HDMI video output port is toast and I won't be able to use it. After much reading on the web I have concluded that the only option I have left now of getting 1080p video output from the PS3 is by buying and connecting the PS3 through a COMPONENT Cable.

Ordered one such Component Cable from Amazon (will arrive on Tuesday):

Mak World ® HD Component AV Video-Audio Cable Cord for Sony Playstation 2 3 PS2 PS3 Slim Pro 5 RCA AV Cable for Television, PlayStation (Black)

(This Component cable will allow me to connect the PS3 to my TV without problems since the TV has Component Cable Video Input Ports).

However, that takes care of one part of the problem because you see I also need the option to connect the PS3 to my monitor because I do use my PS3 (and other consoles I have) in my room/ mancave for gaming as the primary TV is occupied by my GF at nights for her shows, gaming. This is where things get a little tricky because I need a Component to HDMI Converter.

I searched on Amazon and found this Component to HDMI converter box:

Microware YPbPr to HDMI Converter, Component to HDMI

Before buying it I thought of asking here if anyone has used these with their PS3? Do they work? Please do share your input.

After getting this box the chain of display to my monitor will be:
PS3 > Component Cable Out > Component to HDMI Converter Box > HDMI Port on Monitor

Can you not just get the port on the ps3 replaced, just buy an hdmi for or salvage one from a broken model which you might be able to find at a local electronics/console repair and selling shop. You can just desolder the port and solder in the new one or you could get it done from a local shop.

https://www.amazon.in/TCOS-TECH-Interface-Replacement-Playstation/dp/B09YVRM83G

If anyone can suggest a reliable PS3 repair shop in Kolkata where I can get the HDMI port issue sorted then please do provide the info here. It would be great. I have no such leads and searching on Google throws up results to some shops with awful reviews. Not giving my otherwise working PS3 in good condition to these shops. Easier for me to just spend 3k and get a Component to HDMI converter box.

Last edited:
You might have done this as well but have you tried the 3 beep method to force the ps3 into automatic signal scan?

Yes, on the PS3 Super Slim the power button reset method is as follows:

- Turn Console Off so Power LED shows red light.
- Hold Power Button. LED will turn green and then 1 Beep and after that PS3 will shutdown. LED will turn red.
- Hold Power Button again. LED will turn green. Keep holding for 1 Beep and then 2 more quick successive beeps.
- PS3 will then display PS3 Reset Menu on monitor/ TV.

In my case if I connect PS3 via HDMI the Reset procedure does not show any display. When I connect via Composite Cable the Reset option screen shows up and I can then choose HDMI from the display options but that leads nowhere as when I switch to HDMI mode on TV via remote I get a black screen and "no signal" message. This is when both Composite & HDMI cables are connected to the TV.

I even set my PS3 to default settings through the Reset options on Composite Cable, disconnected Composite Cable, connected PS3 via HDMI but still the PS3 didn't pick up HDMI. This confirms that the HDMI video out port from the PS3 has died.

The Component Cable I have ordered is due to come in on Tuesday. Will try that and post back here.

Back