PS3 not reading Game Discs

Hey people,

Just sold my 40GB NTSC J PS3 to a close friend and 2 days later it stopped reading game discs.

I didn't want to spoil the relationship for a couple of grands (assuming I have to replace the lens assembly) as it may appear that I have passed on faulty hardware.

So the bottomline is the PS3 is back with me and I need your help.

1. Have any of you used any CD lens cleaner with the PS3?

2. Next I am going to try to disassemble the PS3 and try cleaning the lens with ethyl alcohol. Should I ? Anyone tried this ?

3. If that doesn't work, I need to get the lens or give it to someone to repair it. Does anyone have any idea where I can get it repaired in Mumbai ?

4. Does anyone have an idea where I can source the lens ? Online or offline in Mumbai.

5. Has anyone tried replacing the lens on their own ? If yes, where have you sourced the lens from?

6. Anyone having a non-functional PS3 wanting to sell parts (of course the lens should not be the problem, I guess many are suffering from YLOD) ?

EDIT:

1. Googled a bit and found out a shop in Masjid Bunder does it for Rs. 3800 to 4200 depending on the type of lens. Has anyone used their services ?

Anyone having a non-functional PS3 wanting to sell parts (of course the lens should not be the problem, I guess many are suffering from YLOD) ?

Back