PS3 not working EDIT: Repaired at MaxCom Service Center, Vile Parle, Bombay

Oh man that was a sweet deal! Maybe I'll edit the title to know that someone actually fixed it. Could you tell me the location of the shop, maybe the name if you have it?

Not a bad deal at all. Details of this shop would probably be beneficial to people over here too.

Oh man that was a sweet deal! Maybe I'll edit the title to know that someone actually fixed it. Could you tell me the location of the shop, maybe the name if you have it?

Sure mates, the details of the shop are as follows -
MaxCom Service Center
Shop 1, Miraj House,
Irla Lane, Behind National Fabrications,
Vile Parle West,
Mumbai 400056.
Contact Person - Paresh
Mobile - +91 9867355478 / +91 9773888329

Hope this helps others from getting fleeced by Sony's so called Service Center.

Bloody hell!

Looks like I just turned into it's latest victim too. I just switched on my PS3 to resume my GTA play-through and the screen started flickering and the video start blacking out momentarily. Then within the game it blacked out for around a minute or two. I shutdown the console, rebooted it, the flickering still persisted. I was hoping this would be a HDMI cable issue. Swapped my 360's HDMI cable to it and it didn't help. Now it seems to randomly black out. This is ridiculous!

It was working absolutely find last evening for a 6 hour non-stop session and now this problem out of the blue. Why the f*ck couldn't it happen after GTA V was done or I had completed Beyond: Two Souls for that matter?

I'll leave it as it is for tonight and re-check it tomorrow. @prabs might need your help if I have to get it fixed.

@prabs - thanks! Updated the thread title to reflect the changes.

Edited the 'dying' part as well so someone can look up if the results turn up on a Google search. :)

@Gannu - Thanks for updating the thread title.

@Ethan_Hunt - Really sad to hear about your PS3, you can count on me.

I guess the guy was right it is a common problem (no matter how common the problem I really no one runs into it) and can be easily fixed. So far my friend hasn't faced any problems and hope it stays that way.

since past 2 days, am also seeing a weird, never-seen-before display-issue. am presently playing 'the last of us'. what happened was, as soon as i started the game, the display went corrupt! a lot of grey lines, botched up colours, etc. returning to the XMB-screen was of no use. only after 1-2 restarts of the console did the issue go away. has happened twice till now. didn't check with another HDMI cable. if i encounter it again, will then replace the cable and see.

@prabs: Is this the shop? http://www.justdial.com/Mumbai/Max-Com-Service-Centre-<near>-Behind-Irla-Signal-Next-To-National-Fabrication-Vile-Parle-West/022PXX22-XX22-100805103846-X6G7_acd961efe2b4d674cd1a5d1f8d387f8e_BZDET

Also, do we need to take just the console or everything else too like the controller, power and HDMI cable too?

EDIT: OK, this is a bit weird. I tried couple of tests today and it seems the 720p output is busted. So anything which is outputs to 72op resolution instantly goes to video not supported. That means almost every game out there. I'm now not sure what exactly could be causing this.

Last edited:
EDIT: OK, this is a bit weird. I tried couple of tests today and it seems the 720p output is busted. So anything which is outputs to 72op resolution instantly goes to video not supported. That means almost every game out there. I'm now not sure what exactly could be causing this.

But your 40 incher supports 1080p right? Select that display from the resolution options and check. Do test it with your PC display as well.

If you are headed to that repair place, it might be a good idea to take your HDMI cable as well. Cables can be finicky at times.

But your 40 incher supports 1080p right? Select that display from the resolution options and check. Do test it with your PC display as well.

If you are headed to that repair place, it might be a good idea to take your HDMI cable as well. Cables can be finicky at times.

Yes, my screen supports all the available resolutions on the PS3. Here's what I performed:

1.) Un-tick all 720p and 1080i options and only have 1080p and 576p (permanently ticked) ticked. The XMB display is fine, but when I load a game, it tries to find 720p, as that is what most game switch to, then switches to 576p and goes blank again.

2.) Only tick 720p during custom HDMI set-up option and it goes blank when I try to proceed further (resolution not supported). This has got me puzzled if it's the cable/the HDMI splitter or the TV.

I'll connect it directly to my Dell display just to be certain though. I was thinking, instead of going through all the repair drama, that I could order a Component cable and be done with it. I mean component delivers 1080p as well right? I have seen online comparisons and the the visual quality seems to be almost the same. At this point, I only care about finishing Metal Gear Solid 4 and Beyond Two Souls. Then the console can walk straight into heaven's gates, for all I care.

Yeah the component cable does support all the resolutions.For once, check with the bundled AV cable as well.

Does this blank screen thing happen with just a specific title? Or does it happen for most of the titles? Check with a few PSN titles if you can.

Did you try:

1. Bypassing the HDMI splitter and directly connecting the cable?

2. Using an alternate HDMI cable?

It is most certainly not the TV.

It blanks out on all games which switch to 720p resolution (which is like 99% of the games).

I haven't tried bypassing the splitter yet, which is what I'll do after my dinner and connect it to Dell.

Alternate HDMI cable was my very first guess and did connect my Xbox 360's cable to it and same thing happened. But I'm still not convinced for some reason. I have a strong feeling it is the HDMI cable.

Update: Good news. Connected the HDMI cable directly to my Dell monitor and it works perfectly. So looks like it's a HDMI handshake issue through the splitter to my TV. I'm going to test it out for some more time now, just to be sure it does act up after a while.

Back