ps3

"worth the price" is such a relative term and particular and different for each person that I am afraid this thread is useless. Only you can decide whether it is worth the price to you or not.

vebk said:
"worth the price" is such a relative term and particular and different for each person that I am afraid this thread is useless. Only you can decide whether it is worth the price to you or not.

QFT! What an item is worth to a person differs for each person based on his use/needs etc..

Yes its worth it if u can afford to buy original games that cost 2500 and upwards each and blu ray movies that cost around $20-30 each.

yes..its WORTH the price,,thats a magnificent peace of work by SONY -get it if you have mollah or wait for a year when price will become below 20k

lotta of diehard ps3 fans!!!
but i guess the ps experience can never be emulated on pc...n games like god of war on pc wont do justice....thanks for the thoughts....

I am using the 60GB model, but I hardly found out any such problems. Searched on net also, no such problems reported. I think it's more of a rumor.

Head out to GamingIndians forums and see the long thread with the people who got SOD on the 60GB PS3. My 60GB Model conked off in 3 months with the SOD problem. Since the 60GB Models are no longer in production, my unit was replaced with a 40GB Model. Also PS2 games on PS3 look worse than on the PS2. In addition to that. 40GB Model has newer 65nm core and runs a lot cooler than the 60GB Model.

freak86 said:
lotta of diehard ps3 fans!!!

but i guess the ps experience can never be emulated on pc...n games like god of war on pc wont do justice....thanks for the thoughts....

Don't compare PC and PS3 as they are a league apart. PC is still the best platform for games from the technical perspective. There are many categories of games which cannot be played as well on consoles as on PC. But you can play all games on a PC as you have a choice of input devices. The reason why developers prefer consoles is because they can make more money. Also consoles extend gaming to the non-techie crowd with its ease of use.

Get PS3 dude, hard to find 60gig version.. but get 40GB version.. It will give you more than enough features.. If you are genuine buyer then it suits you :D

Lord Nemesis said:
Head out to GamingIndians forums and see the long thread with the people who got SOD on the 60GB PS3. My 60GB Model conked off in 3 months with the SOD problem. Since the 60GB Models are no longer in production, my unit was replaced with a 40GB Model. Also PS2 games on PS3 look worse than on the PS2. In addition to that. 40GB Model has newer 65nm core and runs a lot cooler than the 60GB Model.

Mind linking me to the thread please? I am a member of GamingIndians, and I haven't seen any "SOD" problem thread as such. One SOS thread (which means help thread) is there, but I will certainly like to know what is this "SOD Problem", which also, incidentally, killed your PS3 too. :S

Mind linking me to the thread please? I am a member of GamingIndians, and I haven't seen any "SOD" problem thread as such. One SOS thread (which means help thread) is there, but I will certainly like to know what is this "SOD Problem", which also, incidentally, killed your PS3 too. :S

That SOS thread is specifically for the SOD (Spin of Death) problem. It has posts by several people who has SOD on their 60GB PS3 including me.

^^ Don't get me wrong bro, but you don't even know what are you talking about. Optical disc malfunction is a Blu-ray issue, which is found on all PS3's and not specially PS3 60GB.

And 65nm process is no big deal for PS3 40GB as there were hardly any heating issues reported in PS3.

PS3 60GB is a considered the most complete model in the PS3 lineup.

And if you think that as that forum reports that 82% of the "SOD" issues were only found in 60GB models, count the guys who have actually posted. This problem was more of first batch problem. If you have imported your PS3 from US/UK, then you might run into this problem, but new models (with 29.9k tag as sold in India) have not seen this problem AFAIK.

^^ Don't get me wrong bro, but you don't even know what are you talking about. Optical disc malfunction is a Blu-ray issue, which is found on all PS3's and not specially PS3 60GB.

And 65nm process is no big deal for PS3 40GB as there were hardly any heating issues reported in PS3.

PS3 60GB is a considered the most complete model in the PS3 lineup.

And if you think that as that forum reports that 82% of the "SOD" issues were only found in 60GB models, count the guys who have actually posted. This problem was more of first batch problem. If you have imported your PS3 from US/UK, then you might run into this problem, but new models (with 29.9k tag as sold in India) have not seen this problem AFAIK.

I know what I am talking about. I know SOD is a Blu-Ray drive problem found in the initial batches of the PS3 i.e the 60GB Models. Mine was also a 60GB PS3 bought in India for 29.9k. the SOD has a high likely hood of happening when you play a game which stresses the Blue Ray drive. In my case it was while running Heavenly Sword. Most of the 60GB PS3's had the initial batches of the blue ray diodes which had a high failure rate. Unless you have a PS3 from the very last batches of the 60GB models, you are likely not to have the newer improved BD Drives and this is especially applicable in India since most of the unsold 60GB units even now are from the older batches. So its better to get the 40GB Models which have the newer diodes and though the 40GB Models are not completely immune to SOD, they are significantly better off.

As for the lower heat production in the 40GB, I am saying that out of my own experience with the two models. The 60GB model used to produce a lot of hot air out of its vents so much so that anything kept beside it gets warm. The 40GB model runs pretty cool compared to that and there is very little hot air.

Also note that 60GB models are out of production. If you purchase 60GB Model with warranty and it conks off, you will be given a 40GB Unit as replacement and the process is not as simple as with a replacement for same model. In my case it took Sony India a more than 2 months to give me a replacement and another one 1.5 months to give me a cheque of 5k to cover the price difference between the models.

Back