PC Peripherals PSU suggestion needed...(budget 3k)

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1n0r

Disciple
A friend has scrored a 2nd hand 512mb 7800gtx pretty cheap.

Here's the config he was running earlier (i.e. b4 he got that gpu) :-
939 athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.5ghz
asus a8n-e
2 x 1 gb ram (is overclocked, not sure how much)
6200tc

PSU he'd been using is a antec smart power 350w.
now needs a new psu. he's found a guy willing to pay him 2k for his sp350 psu.
he does not have a budget right now....he may be able to shell out 500-800 (or maybe 1k) at the max.

I'm totally confused.

So, please suggest a decent psu which can run the above with a 512mb 7800gtx in a budget of 3k or less.
EDIT : need to buy the psu quickly...moron is using my neo he until I can find him a decent psu:mad: ... so, please also suggest a place in delhi where I can buy one.

vantec ion2 460w-3700/-
This is a very good psu having 30A on 12v line.Will easily handle 7800gtx.
or u might as well go for powersafe 500w for abt 2500/- if he cant get the vantec one.
But give first preference for vantec though.

Well if he doesnt mind ghetto add a second PSU within the computer. Just get a cheapo PSU and rig it to run the graphics card and other peripherals alone. The CPU & Mobo can be powered by the Antec.

Raghu.

Raghunandan said:
Well if he doesnt mind ghetto add a second PSU within the computer. Just get a cheapo PSU and rig it to run the graphics card and other peripherals alone. The CPU & Mobo can be powered by the Antec.

Raghu.

^^...the only problem being a stuffed up and congested cabinet :huh:

I doubt anything below the Vantec will run that config with a single PSU.

@ maverick - You sure its a 512MB ? 512MB 7800GTX's were almost as rare as Ford Fusions :p

Anish said:
@ maverick - You sure its a 512MB ? 512MB 7800GTX's were almost as rare as Ford Fusions :p

@anish,
:ashamed: I didn't get u!!! I never said anything 'bout 512MB 7800GTX's. probably a case of mistaken identity. i only replied to raghunandan's suggestion of 2 PSU's in a single cabinet that it will take a lot of space and will be a hindrance to proper airflow inside the cabinet.

cha.

Anish said:

If that question was supposed to be pointed to me....yes, I'm sure its a 512mb 7800gtx...& ironically this friend also owns/drives a Ford Fusion :eek:hyeah:

so...its vantec ion2 460w ??? will it handle the 512mb 7800 gtx ??
anyone know where I might be able to pick one un in delhi ?

couple of guys are selling the vantec on TE itself .. a new vantec costs 3500 (inclusive of tax) .. this is the distributor price though .. bargain accordingly and u will get a good psu for cheap.

u can also consider saiyan's 450W antec smart power psu. 2.2k for that psu is good and it will also run that rig imho. and he will have to jsut pay 200 bucks more for a new psu. best deal imho.

EDIT : sorry got confused man .. i thought he is still using the 6200TC. btw my friend is running an intel rig (similar config) with 7800GTX 256mb on antec 400w smartpower 2.0 .. so i think 450w smartpower will handle your pal's rig decently. the Vantec will be a much better choice though.

I would go with atleast a 500 watts decent quality like cooler master or very very high quality 450+ watts at the very minimum with a 7800GTX. The best would be to get a Neo. Else get a CM 500 watts, I thought you needed for the 6200, that is why the CM 430.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back