Graphic Cards PSUs for the 8800 series?

imoen

Adept
Hello Friends,

According to the requirements, the 8800GTS needs 26A and the 8800GTX requires 30A on the 12V rail. What kind of PSUs are available in India that would run these cards smoothly?

I was very happy about the 7900GS because the PSUs were available at a cheap rate. Picked up a 400W Powersafe with 20A for just 1,450. I'm a little worried about the 8800's though. Don't want to spend more than 3-4k on a PSU.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

~ imoen

For stable performance with 8800, you should go for a NeoHE 500 atleast. There are very few PSU under 5k which deliver 26~30A at more than 25deg temperature. Atleast NeoHE 500 can deliver 38A at 50deg temperature.

I am waiting for 8600 model. They will be cheaper and they might not need that much power or not at all (I mean extra power connector) .... hahahaha

mesa waiting for the 8150 onboard :rofl: I:hug: onboards... love my 4MX, would have gotten a 6150 if i were upgrading now, guess I'll wait for a conroe that runs cooler and a DX 10 onboard.. why spend so much money on power :S I have Power amplifiers for that :p

btw imoen, DUDE you're spending 36k on a graphics card. treat it with respect :p you dont buy a BMW and then try to save money by using adulterated petrol :bleh:

^^Yea exactly. This is typical indian behaviour. We'll spend 30k on a PC, maybe even 30k on a graphics card but then crib about 5k for a PSU :p

Bottom line, if you can afford an 8 series card you can afford a GOOD psu for it.

^^ LMAO, what a comparion :rofl:....

Yea, but seriously people, If your spending 35k on a Graphics Cards, please, please, please, spend 6-7k on a PSU as well.
Unless, you wanna wake up 1 morning, and find ur Rig, down, and when you try to put it on, CPU Fan spins up, Lights come on, but Nothing happens. When you check, you find out your Graphics card has burnt out -.-....

LOLOL! Hey what's wrong with bargain hunting??? Of course one will pay the price is he has no choice. I was hoping Powersafe would make something suitable because I am using their stuff and am quite happy with it. Plus it's very affordable. Why spend extra when less can do the job just as good without problems?

Thanks to lord_nem for suggesting the antec neo500. Any idea who distributes it?

just wondering..At load a 8800GTX/E6600 et al touches 500watts power consumption...will the NeoHE 500W suffice ???

imoen said:
LOLOL! Hey what's wrong with bargain hunting??? Of course one will pay the price is he has no choice. I was hoping Powersafe would make something suitable because I am using their stuff and am quite happy with it. Plus it's very affordable. Why spend extra when less can do the job just as good without problems?

Thanks to lord_nem for suggesting the antec neo500. Any idea who distributes it?

Try hooking up a powersafe to a scope and load the machine... you'll be shocked.

^Hehe.. I saw the oscilloscope o/p on a Powersafe 400W PSU, with a load tester. Not pretty. The ripple delta for the ATX spec states that it shouldn't exceed 50mV P-P IIRC.. this was hitting 120mV peak to peak under a fairly light load.

Not good.

In my opinion buy the Zebronics PowerOne 640W Power Supply which is actually a Skyhawk PowerOne GM620SC 620W Power Supply which gives a true output of 550W-570W according to reviews should cost 4-4.5k

Here are its reviews:

Skyhawk Power One GMSC 570w PSU Review

Legit Reviews - SkyHawk PowerONE 620w Review **UPDATE 3/26** - Specifications and Features

EXTREME Overclocking - SkyHawk Power ONE 570W Power Supply w/Audio Stand-By Review - Page: 1 - Tweaking PC Hardware To The Max

I use it myself & i'am very happy with it too

but if you can spend 6k+ then I would suggest a Antec NeoHE 500W

8800 GTX and an OC E6600 together consumes about 425W at load...Considering this one would think you need more than a NeoHE 500W PSU.

Udit said:
In my opinion buy the Zebronics PowerOne 640W Power Supply which is actually a Skyhawk PowerOne GM620SC 620W Power Supply

Explain : why do you think that ? PROOF :detect: :cool1:

Back