Graphic Cards PSUs for the 8800 series?

vij said:
8800 GTX and an OC E6600 together consumes about 425W at load...Considering this one would think you need more than a NeoHE 500W PSU.

I think NeoHE 500 would be more than enough for a 8800GTS, But for GTX I am doubtful. 456W constant on 12V rails (rated at 50 deg temp) should probabaly be enough to drive it provided the machine is not too heavily loaded and the rails load is balanced properly.

But surely zebby/skyhawk 640W would not cut it with its rating of 300W (25A) on the 12V rails rated at 25 deg temp. Even zebby 730W would not be good enough if there is other power consuming stuff.

@imoen: if you are going for 8800GTX, Then it would be best if you go for a Antec Trio 550W (504W, 42A on 12V Rails) for 7.2k. If you want to buy online try IndMall.com. ITDepot is official distributor for Antec, But thier site is down at the moment.

imoen said:
Hello Friends,
According to the requirements, the 8800GTS needs 26A and the 8800GTX requires 30A on the 12V rail. What kind of PSUs are available in India that would run these cards smoothly?
I was very happy about the 7900GS because the PSUs were available at a cheap rate. Picked up a 400W Powersafe with 20A for just 1,450. I'm a little worried about the 8800's though. Don't want to spend more than 3-4k on a PSU.Any help/advice would be appreciated.
~ imoen
If someone can't afford a good psu, they don't DESERVE a good GPU.:bleh:

A Maruti Esteem can just about manage on fresh MRF Zigma tyres but spending all money on a Mondeo/Skoda RS and then replacing tyres when worn out with MRF is SUICIDE.:rofl:

Get a Neo HE 500 or TP 2.0 550 or something similar or better from USA/Singapore and u can just make it within 4k i hope.:cool2:
Funky said:
Guys, you will have your answer by today evening.
Test is in progress , have patience ;)
Funky Dada ki Jai.:hap2:

Well guys my system is exactly same as in my sig.

The card i have for testing is XFX 8800GTS.

-----------------------------------------------

Tests Run:

1. 3dmark05 gfx test loop for 30 mins

2. 3dmark06 gfx test loop for 30 mins

3. CSS ST

4. Dual prime + RTHDRIBL

1. Antec NeoHe 500

100% stable, no reboots or anything. 12v line was touching 11.7 under full load.

2.Zebronics Powerone 640 (Skyhawk GM620SC OEM)

100% stable, 12v line at 11.97 under full load

3.Powersafe 450

Relatively Stable, single reboot was caused but it was when system just booted and was at idle. Ran all test fine but 12v was dropping to 11.1-11.2

4.Antec Smart Power (rev 2.0) 500

Stable, no reboots. 12v line was 11.5v under full load.

I have 1 more psu with me its tp2 550 but i havent had time to test this yet and i am really bored now. :p

Hope this helps people choose the correct PSU for 8800series

vij said:
this looks nice

Zebronics Powerone 640 (Skyhawk GM620SC OEM)

Zebronics overvolts slightly by default.

It alway did. Idle is around 12.1v so i was not too surprised that it had the best 12v reading.

8800GTS is not that power hungry when you compare it against x1900/1950 series.

If your psu is handling one of these cards it will handle GTS for sure.

BIKeINSTEIN said:
A Maruti Esteem can just about manage on fresh MRF Zigma tyres but spending all money on a Mondeo/Skoda RS and then replacing tyres when worn out with MRF is SUICIDE.:rofl:

Cmon.... MRF isnt that bad. They may not be as good as Michelin/Bridgestone, but they are no way as bad as putting a cheap PSU with an 8800 GTX :p

@Funky --- Nice testing !! And those sure are nice results too.... I hope someone can test with an 8800 GTX soon.

I mean, people are going crazy over the power requirements of the GTX...so, waiting to see some results on that :D

nice info funky. how but testing the tp2.0 also. although i am sure it is going to run it without any problems.

neohe500, skyhawk640 & the tp2 550 should also take the load of a gtx i feel atleast with the system running on stock.

Funky said:
Well guys my system is exactly same as in my sig.
The card i have for testing is XFX 8800GTS.
Tests Run:
1. 3dmark05 gfx test loop for 30 mins
2. 3dmark06 gfx test loop for 30 mins
3. CSS ST
4. Dual prime + RTHDRIBL

1. Antec NeoHe 500
100% stable, no reboots or anything. 12v line was touching 11.7 under full load.

2.Zebronics Powerone 640 (Skyhawk GM620SC OEM)

3.Powersafe 450
Relatively Stable, single reboot was caused but it was when system just booted and was at idle. Ran all test fine but 12v was dropping to 11.1-11.2

4.Antec Smart Power (rev 2.0) 500
Stable, no reboots. 12v line was 11.5v under full load.

I have 1 more psu with me its tp2 550 but i havent had time to test this yet and i am really bored now. :p

Hope this helps people choose the correct PSU for 8800series
Simply Awesome!!:hap2:
May i rep u- doing it even if u say NO.:bleh:

Please Funky dada- one last try with TP2.0 550- vested interests.:ashamed:

And the TP2.0 480 always seemed like a slightly cheaper alternative to the TP2 550 while adhering to True Power series standards- Dunno why but i also feel it will outperform the SP2 500 with regards to 12v rail stability under load, at least by a lil margin.:ashamed:
[O/T]
Nikhil said:
Cmon.... MRF isnt that bad. They may not be as good as Michelin/Bridgestone, but they are no way as bad as putting a cheap PSU with an 8800 GTX :p
:O
Nik- MRF isnt even in the same league as Michelin/Goodyear/Pirelli- even in the passenger vehicle price range models from the latter.

Yes, MRF is No.1- if u check Kms covered before u run into minimum tread depth before requiring a tyre change.
No wonder its No.1 in India.:rofl:

For a simple test, run any car on MRF ZVTS and then change to Goodyear GPS2 of the same specs or vice versa- especially in the wet.
You'll be pleasantly or horridly surprised, depends on the switch u made.:p

About Bridgestone, after seeing the performance/issues with Bridgestone coming as stock fitment with most cars here like MRF used to be once, i am not too keen on grouping them with the 3 mentioned above.:(
IMHO, in India, MRF/Bridgestone= stock fitment; Goodyear/Michelin/Pirelli = upgrades.:p [O/T]

Thanx for the review Funky was really helpful, I'm awaiting the results for the 8800GTX too :)

[OT] @Bikey : You forgot about the Bridgestone Potenza GIII's, one of the best set of tyres available atm [/OT]

Guys,i guess we should stick to the topic,requesting to stop the OT posts.

Also Funky, waiting for TP2.0 results.

@ Eazy...you seem keen to know the outcome.....giving us hints Sir ? lol

Gr8 work funky,rep to u:hap2: ..its gonna help people like me as i was lukin for 1 but dun hav much idea bout the psu.thanks :cool2:

Darklord said:
@ Eazy...you seem keen to know the outcome.....giving us hints Sir ? lol

NAI YAR .... I really dont have a clue ...

I bought the TP2 550 a week before the Neo's arrived and I have always felt I should have been told by the shop to await the arrival of the Neo a few days later. I am 100% sure they knew :(

I have read in a review (at Tom's) about the problems with the Antec TP2 550 PSU and want to see how they fare in Funky's test.

from Toms review...

Important Update - Antec technicians from Taiwan and the USA visited the Munich THG laboratory for just this purpose. The reason for the 3-hour visit was the divergences we discovered in the ripple test, which were not within spec - although the power supplies did not fail. The technicians from Antec performed new ripple tests on their power supplies together with the THG laboratory engineers. It turned out that the tolerances and high-frequency vibrations with their PSU can lead to varying results in the ripple tests. However, we didn't observe this phenomenon in any of the other candidates.

Source: Stress Test: Power Supplies Under Full Load | Tom's Hardware

Back